[WB] [S] Twilight of The Sun King (Old Topic. Enjoy as a historical archive.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're putting in some Barbary pirate towns but not really as a faction. More of a place where Pirates can strike out from North Africa into the mediterranean. We also wanted to not include them as a faction in of themselves so that their cities could be places where a non-aligned player (one whose playing as a bandit or merc captain, or even pirate) could seek shelter, recruit, and base themselves from. So there will be some scenes work and we could use some help maybe in shaping how the Barbary raiders would look.

Comrade Temuzu said:
...What part of Stockholm is that? Doesnt look like any part Ive been at.
Have you visited stockholm in 1702....  :mad:
its the inner city ala 1702 whit the ruins of the castle 3 crowns. Riddarholmen to the west.

Jakko cant wait to use your new things on my other scenes

http://www.ssa.stockholm.se/upload/421/1751_%C3%A5rs_karta.jpg

There were some Spanish fortified towns in North Africa: Ceuta, Melilla (Morocco) and Orán (Algiers). Will they be included? They were mostly concerned in fighting piracy (specially Orán) and were a common destiny for exiled and criminals. They had their own native troops, called mogataces (single mogataz)
435px-Mogataz_de_Oran_1737.jpg
This could serve as a reference for Barbary pirates aswell.

Oh, and another great painting from Ferrer Dalmau: Siege of Oran (1730)
20110828111024_24.jpg

I also found a ****load of old maps and fortification plains in the webpage of the Spanish Ministry of Culture. There are like 5500 pictures from 16th to 20th century and quite a lot from the period between 1680 and 1720.

Many of them show only a part of the towns or relatively small villages that don't appear in the mod but I think there are references for almost all Spanish settlements aswell as some Italian and French ones.
http://www.mcu.es/ccbae/es/consulta/resultados_busqueda.cmd?tipo_busqueda=mapas_planos_dibujos&posicion=1281&id=2

Just ask for a scene you want and I can search maps for it since it may be more difficult and time consuming for you if you are not familiar with Spanish lenguage and geography.

Comrade Temuzu said:
Reading about the Barbary corsairs led me to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Baltimore Impressive :lol:

Comically enough, that's where I was born. It's a commonly lost piece of American history.

The US actually sent ships to the North African Coast during the Barbary Wars of the late 18th/early 19th to finish off what was left of the pirate community there. The glory days had past since then, especially when Port Royal was shut down in the 1700's by the British in the Caribbean.

The Golden Age of Piracy is pretty awesome to read about. They did some really, really daring and amazing stuff.

<3

CR

HoJu said:
There were some Spanish fortified towns in North Africa: Ceuta, Melilla (Morocco) and Orán (Algiers). Will they be included? They were mostly concerned in fighting piracy (specially Orán) and were a common destiny for exiled and criminals. They had their own native troops, called mogataces (single mogataz)
435px-Mogataz_de_Oran_1737.jpg
This could serve as a reference for Barbary pirates aswell.

Oh, and another great painting from Ferrer Dalmau: Siege of Oran (1730)
20110828111024_24.jpg

I also found a ****load of old maps and fortification plains in the webpage of the Spanish Ministry of Culture. There are like 5500 pictures from 16th to 20th century and quite a lot from the period between 1680 and 1720.

Many of them show only a part of the towns or relatively small villages that don't appear in the mod but I think there are references for almost all Spanish settlements aswell as some Italian and French ones.
http://www.mcu.es/ccbae/es/consulta/resultados_busqueda.cmd?tipo_busqueda=mapas_planos_dibujos&posicion=1281&id=2

Just ask for a scene you want and I can search maps for it since it may be more difficult and time consuming for you if you are not familiar with Spanish lenguage and geography.

That...is extremely useful information.

We had planned to create the Barbary towns into working towns one could visit and hang out in as a pirate, since our mod takes place during the Golden Age of Piracy. We've added Melilla, Oran (though it's just listed as Algiers Port), and I'm working on lowing the map terrain to place Ceuta for our next developer's release.

I did not, however, realize they had many of their own specific unit types. We probably won't have that uniform in by public release, but we might. I just recently learned to re-texture, so I might be able to adapt an Ottoman model for it.

At the moment I have a boat load of coding to finish. I'll be upgrading Overseer to 1.2, Ikaguia's Promotable Companions update, some banking and economy changes, and using Dunde's Auto-Generated Troop Trees. There's a lot of soldier types in this. I'm interested in what kind of a clusterf**k the presentation will look like. We may have to change it to a more text based one. Not sure. The more this mod develops, the more it feels like Europa Universalis with battles.

Would anyone be interested in making some Map Icons? Since we're still using Native ones, we'd love for our supporters and players to have something less medieval looking for the various parties on the screen.

<3

CR

celestialred said:
Comrade Temuzu said:
Reading about the Barbary corsairs led me to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Baltimore Impressive :lol:
Comically enough, that's where I was born. It's a commonly lost piece of American history.
That Baltimore is actually in Ireland :wink:

The way youre planning on implenting these pirate settlements reminds me of Dhorak Keep back in the old days of Mount and Blade. Zendar, even.

celestialred said:
Comrade Temuzu said:

:eek: Yet another analogy between Eliza and you!

This time the one with being abducted by Barbary Pirates led by an illustrious Euro Pirate Lord.

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comrade Temuzu said:
celestialred said:
Comrade Temuzu said:
That Baltimore is actually in Ireland :wink:

The way youre planning on implenting these pirate settlements reminds me of Dhorak Keep back in the old days of Mount and Blade. Zendar, even.

Haha! I should have read the article before replying. My fault :0

Haha!

The Pirate Towns are actually Zendar, Dhorak Keep, and others. Since they already had some code in place for them, I retained them. I'll be tweaking them as we go along. They're tertiary for the time being. Once we get the rest of the game in solid, tight order, I'll work on tidying those up in code to be better. Once piece at a time :smile:

Also, Bayard, you crack me up :grin:

<3

CR

Heya,

For those of you interested in where/what we put for Barbary Ports, I can add or move stuff around to make them fuller and more interesting, or just more historically correct. This is a photo of my campaign, so disregard that Milan is clearly owned by the Bourbons after a siege. When I moved things to North Africa, I hadn't really thought out how to deal with the names and aesthetics. It was something we added later in development as we went along, and whose features haven't really been dealt with yet.

We certain welcome suggestions and ideas on it.

85FAA80BF84F67FE2DA3965C1A63A112AC5E3338

And I should add, I'll be redoing the maps for Spain and Sweden before the public release. They're slightly historically inaccurate, but we had help clearing those up :grin:

<3

CR

Scenes and buildings are looking as impressive as ever. Maybe you should consider making exploration semi-mandatory by only providing quick menu access to those functions and stores a player has already found in a scene, like the Rus 13thC mod does?
Of course instant menus can be enabled right away from the mod options for the impatient or for subsequent campaigns as well.

The barbary coast as a safe haven (of sorts) for independent or outlaw players sounds great, so those who don't want to don't have to join one of the existing factions.

jackx said:
Scenes and buildings are looking as impressive as ever. Maybe you should consider making exploration semi-mandatory by only providing quick menu access to those functions and stores a player has already found in a scene, like the Rus 13thC mod does?
Of course instant menus can be enabled right away from the mod options for the impatient or for subsequent campaigns as well.

The barbary coast as a safe haven (of sorts) for independent or outlaw players sounds great, so those who don't want to don't have to join one of the existing factions.

That's an interesting idea. I think when we get a release that has maybe 80% or more of the scenes finished by the scenes team I might want to force players to view their work and do more exploration than just drop into a town and hit the merchant through the easy menu. It's kind of lazy and defeats the purpose of immersion into the mod and the era. I am guilty all to often of going to a town and never seeing any of it but the Tavern. Part of that problem is that Warband towns are by and large so generic. But if the sceners are able to make some unique and vibrant towns then there really is no excuse.

I'm all for making the player walk through each town.

and as an aside these scenes look amazing for playing out the night ambushes and sneaking into enemy towns scene....just make sure in the latter you dont overlook the pilgrim outfit and staff.....it's really quite hard to beat musket armed town guards with a wooden stick :???:

keep regualar equipment....or if very ambitious create a traveler's cloak and arm with pistols and a sword

Drusus said:
I'm all for making the player walk through each town.

and as an aside these scenes look amazing for playing out the night ambushes and sneaking into enemy towns scene....just make sure in the latter you dont overlook the pilgrim outfit and staff.....it's really quite hard to beat musket armed town guards with a wooden stick :???:

keep regualar equipment....or if very ambitious create a traveler's cloak and arm with pistols and a sword

Alright took care of the Pilgrim's Disguise :wink: It's not even in our item list. You sneak in with regular clothes and equipment now.

<3

CR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom