SP - General Warband's Missing Features Megathread

Users who are viewing this thread

In Viking Conquest you Could fortify that Camp and make it permanent. You could stash troops there and they'd get trained during that time. Was a great feature in early game or if you didn't want to join a kingdom.
Hope they implement it in Bannerlord.
Oh this list gets muuuuch longer if we include the dlc's, I was being generous and only considering vanilla warband. You add dlc's and now were missing sailing, fortified camps, wounds/stamina/bleeding, hunting, custom soldiers from wfas, custom ordered weapons/armor, bank loans, on and on it goes.

Off the top of my head:

Scheming with lords (special quests you can do with lords you have high relation with)

Insulting and then dueling lords

Feasts

When you attempt to sneak into a town and fail, in warband you had a chance to "fight your way out" which involved fighting 5 or 6 guards while wearing your disguise robes and wielding nothing but a stick

Learning poems from bards, and reciting them to ladies to gain relation with them

Purchasing and reading books

Having a village your have high relation "cause a distraction", which reduced the number of guards you had to fight when breaking someone out of prison

Companions were premade (not randomly generated) and each of them was incompatible with 2 others, and if you had 2 incompatible companions in your party eventually they would argue and you'd have to choose to support one, and the other would eventually leave you unless you could persuade them to stay. Some companions would also get along particularly well, and would share that with you. Also with companions, when you traveled by a certain city relating to their backstory, they'd stop you and tell you some stuff about the places history. Companions would also complain about way more things. In Bannerlord you might have noticed someone complain about you raiding a village, except it doesn't mean anything. In Warband, they'd complain about that as well as running out of food, failing quests, and running away from battles. These things would make them unhappy and if they got mad enough they'd leave.

In warband when clicking menu options in settlements there was a chance you'd get waylaid by assassins, and you'd have to fight a couple bandits in the town at night by yourself.

Belligerent drunks; dudes in taverns who would randomly insult you and then attack you

You could find exiled claimants of every kingdom in towns. Instead of pledging to a current faction ruler, you could help the claimant retake their throne and become the new leader of that faction.

You could set up camp wherever, and wander around your campsite. Admittedly there was no point to this, and the main function of setting up camp was that it just brought up another menu of options like choosing to retire from adventuring or choosing a book to read.

The ability to accompany parties on the map

Oh, and you could actually buy good armor from shops.
Could you walk about camp in native? im not sure about that, but maybe i just never tried. When it comes to companions, i do think the whole personal trait thing will end up meaning alot more, seems like its a system thats actually meant to be in there for having some people like or dislike you depending on what traits you share or have opposing each other, but its just speculation.

- Ships, with boarding, viking conquest had those
- diplomacy
- courting ladies
- skill book seller
- faction claimants / rebellion
- viking conquest have long story
- city, lord, village missions way more

well in general bannerlord in current stage have very thin content

Off the top of my head:

Scheming with lords (special quests you can do with lords you have high relation with)

Insulting and then dueling lords

Feasts

When you attempt to sneak into a town and fail, in warband you had a chance to "fight your way out" which involved fighting 5 or 6 guards while wearing your disguise robes and wielding nothing but a stick

Learning poems from bards, and reciting them to ladies to gain relation with them

Purchasing and reading books

Having a village your have high relation "cause a distraction", which reduced the number of guards you had to fight when breaking someone out of prison

Companions were premade (not randomly generated) and each of them was incompatible with 2 others, and if you had 2 incompatible companions in your party eventually they would argue and you'd have to choose to support one, and the other would eventually leave you unless you could persuade them to stay. Some companions would also get along particularly well, and would share that with you. Also with companions, when you traveled by a certain city relating to their backstory, they'd stop you and tell you some stuff about the places history. Companions would also complain about way more things. In Bannerlord you might have noticed someone complain about you raiding a village, except it doesn't mean anything. In Warband, they'd complain about that as well as running out of food, failing quests, and running away from battles. These things would make them unhappy and if they got mad enough they'd leave.

In warband when clicking menu options in settlements there was a chance you'd get waylaid by assassins, and you'd have to fight a couple bandits in the town at night by yourself.

Belligerent drunks; dudes in taverns who would randomly insult you and then attack you

You could find exiled claimants of every kingdom in towns. Instead of pledging to a current faction ruler, you could help the claimant retake their throne and become the new leader of that faction.

You could set up camp wherever, and wander around your campsite. Admittedly there was no point to this, and the main function of setting up camp was that it just brought up another menu of options like choosing to retire from adventuring or choosing a book to read.

The ability to accompany parties on the map

Oh, and you could actually buy good armor from shops.

thanks, this is really informative :smile:

In Viking Conquest you Could fortify that Camp and make it permanent. You could stash troops there and they'd get trained during that time. Was a great feature in early game or if you didn't want to join a kingdom.
Hope they implement it in Bannerlord.

I agree, the game needs more ways of getting steady recruits for your warband and also training them. I would suggest a mercenary recruitment pool, a training camp and some other "horde" buildings that you can carry along with your warband. I'm thinking of warhammer 2's horde army system, or something similar. Later on as your troop capacity increases it takes too long to recruit sufficiently large armies at present.

- Warband had quests from lords (even the infamous "Post-guy" quest).

- Companions having some personality

- FEASTS

Lords have quests in Bannerlord aswell
I've seen 3 :
- Company of trouble : the quest nobody wants to make because your generally lose more than you win
- Spy party : never was able to finish it. I know it's been fixed (in theory) recently, i'll have to try it again
- Capture a person, i think.

In WB you could :
- Be asked to generate a war
- Raid a village, get some cattle, scout a bit, etc (marechal quests)
- Free a prisonner
- Collect taxes
- Bandit hideout
- Deliver letters (boring, but still)

I really like how they try to do more complex quests in bannerlord (army of poachers, rescue girl, family feud, all those quests have some nice dialog) but it looks like that prevents them from putting enough of them, so right now you have to do 15 family feuds and 20 daughter rescues in the early game, and it's really tedious.

I loved all those new quests the first 3 times i did them, but then they become such a chore...

I've seen 3 :
- Company of trouble : the quest nobody wants to make because your generally lose more than you win
- Spy party : never was able to finish it. I know it's been fixed (in theory) recently, i'll have to try it again

In WB you could :
- Free a prisonner
- Collect taxes
- Bandit hideout

I really like how they try to do more complex quests in bannerlord (army of poachers, rescue girl, family feud, all those quests have some nice dialog) but it looks like that prevents them from putting enough of them, so right now you have to do 15 family feuds and 20 daughter rescues in the early game, and it's really tedious.

I loved all those new quests the first 3 times i did them, but then they become such a chore...
+1 I can only settle so many family feuds and convince so many love drunk daughters to come home before I start eyeing that "do a hostile act" button.

Although I love Warband, let's face it, it's baren on features. So let's not use it as a benchmark for Bannerlord. I think most Warband fans are hoping for a little more depth to the mechanics than we had in WB?
We can use it as a benchmark for bannerlord because bannerlord doesnt have most of the features warband had. Whole UI design is a disaster, whole concept of encyclopedia is a disaster, lack of feasts, event log, rebellions are missing, distinctive banners are missing, mercenary feature is a disaster, you were given a village upon becoming a lord but now we get basically nothing, bards and poems are missing, duelling with a lord to win a lady is missing and whole consequenses of it are missing, plotting a war with some lords in the kingdom is missing. So its pretty OK to use Warband as a benchmark here.

I've seen 3 :

In WB you could :
- Free a prisonner
- Collect taxes
- Bandit hideout

Well they have stated that quests will be missing in the start of the game.

We can use it as a benchmark for bannerlord because bannerlord doesnt have most of the features warband had. Whole UI design is a disaster, whole concept of encyclopedia is a disaster, lack of feasts, event log, rebellions are missing, distinctive banners are missing, mercenary feature is a disaster, you were given a village upon becoming a lord but now we get basically nothing, bards and poems are missing, duelling with a lord to win a lady is missing and whole consequenses of it are missing, plotting a war with some lords in the kingdom is missing. So its pretty OK to use Warband as a benchmark here.
How is the whole UI a disaster? I think its pretty great. I really dont get how you can say anything is a disaster yet, we knew going in that some features would be missing.

How is the whole UI a disaster? I think its pretty great. I really dont get how you can say anything is a disaster yet, we knew going in that some features would be missing.
Yes whole UI is a disaster, most of the time you cant find what you're looking for and other times its right in your face covering the screen. The colour and overall desing of it is too much like Total war attila. I can say many things are disastrous because its highly unlikely they will change those kind of things. M&B Warband and previous titles had some kind of a unique athmospere to them that but in bannerlord whole design feels soulless. I still love the game but It doesnt mean I cant criticize some aspects. I know many things are missing because its EA I'm aware of that but "currently" many design choices are terrible (looking at the banners). Missing things are OK I'm sure most of them will be added eventually what I'm criticizing here is the desing choices to make the game more friendly to the new players. Its supposed to be an RPG game, not a game with an all-knowing encyclopedia that lets us know enemy locations. I loved the old design where we had camp menu, characters tab, reports tab etc. But I guess its too late now and I have to rely on mods for that. They could have taken some notes from Kingdom Come Deliverance on designing the UI like inventory or tutorial pages.

This is a screenshot from around 2014 and in my opinion this looks better than what we currently have. They should have improved on this instead of making it total war-ish.

twdd_03_inventory.jpg

Last edited:
M&B 1 had walking troops if armor was too heavy. Not just slower, but walking (and not walk at all if too heavy). I used invisible heavy armor as dirty trick for zombie like troops.

Campaign based things i can think of:
-Caravan Tolls.
-Courtship.
-Logs.
-Feasting.
-Jailbreak imprisoned lords.
-Interesting quest ideas.
-Councilors.
-Books.
-Bandit voice lines.
-Asking other people questions:
What are your men doing?
What is the realm doing?
How goes the war?
How is life here?
-Nobody explaining political situations/merchants involvement in politics like guild master explained in Warband.
-Proper food variety morale boost.
-Bards and their poems you can learn.
-Travellers giving players some lore about Calradia.
-Beligerent Drunks.
-Assassins sent by evil lord.
-Buying everyone a drink in tavern.
-Village being harassed by bandits.
-War declearations by AI on realms they actually border.
-Winnable hideout attacks.
-Sexist lords that you can insult to gain renown.
-Right to rule.
-Honor.
-Distinctable lord personalities.
-Finding good prices action instead of talking with all people you can find in town.
-Controversy.
-A window with list of all lords you met and their opinion of you.
-Claimants.
-Denouncing a lord to win favor with another lord.
-Weapons and armor in shops had attributes and would change it's price.
-Turning companions into vassals of your kingdom.

Last edited:
Wow, reading thru these lists I realize there are a lot of features I'd forgotten. It's been a long time since I played Warband...

I have often looked for the "What are you doing?" question for AI groups.
And how could I forget the belligerent drunks?
Setting up camps was a huge help in Vikings.

Lords have quests in Bannerlord aswell
I've seen 3 :

I discovered one more. One time, the Sturgian king made me take his nephew or son or whatever under my wing. He became a companion for a year, and I had to level him up a certain ammount. It sucks because he takes up a companion slot and he's useless.

Back
Top Bottom