Warband - Companion Fighting

Users who are viewing this thread

I just purchased warband today, so far I'm loving the game.  The only thing I'm dissapointed in so far is the companion infighting. 

Most people hated it in the original :???:

Honestly I can't understand why the concept was carried over to warband (at least, without adding an option button to turn it off).

I know it's early, but if anybody knows how to disable it, it'd make my single player experience a lot richer.  Thanks.

ya the annoying thing is that they run up to you every time to complain about it like a bunch of tattle tales in grade school

Schoulayer said:
...only thing I'm dissapointed in so far is the companion infighting.
So they should all just get along like nice little drones?

Do you get annoyed that they don't like you undertaking some kinds of actions?

REally? On what do you base that?

Honestly I can't understand why the concept was carried over to warband (at least, without adding an option button to turn it off).
Do you understand why you have to actually do or think about anything in the game? It's like that. Maybe there should be an option button to remove sieges, or the need to train troops and select the right mix for the job you want done.

if anybody knows how to disable it, it'd make my single player experience a lot richer.
No, it'd make your experience more bland and uninteresting. It'd mean there was no cap to the number of companions you could recruit into your party at once. Flavour would have been removed from the game.

Seriously Hugo calm down, im sure there was a thread about it and yes alot of people dont like it, simply because its just an annoyance and doesnt have any real depth.

I think we need something like ME2 relations inside company. Not that complex, but with ability to ease quarrels between companions with Persuation skill so they will remain in your party no matter who they hate... well, beside you =D

After comparing MageLord's old tweak with the new scripts.txt, I think it's this line: 2133 2 144115188075856290 0.

Open your Warband/modules/native folder, open scripts.txt, find that line and change the last 0 to a 1 and then start a new game.

Someone test it because I'm not going to.  :razz:

I have to admit that I also dislike the companion *****fests. There doesn't actually seem to be anything you can do to smooth things over, so the end result is just an annoying cap to how many of them you can have in your party.

Honestly I think both are right.... the way its implemented is a kind of hassle and more of an annoyance but It doesnt mean that no restriction of background should have been implemented to these companion. A hard cap to the amoutn of companion is something easy to program for designer they could and maybe should have done it that way ... now I still think they should be displeased with your action If you dotn do the right thing with the right team ... and maybe they could have work a different kind of system that is more user friendly and doesnt *destroye * the rythme

Thats my 2 cents about why both are actually totally right in their own way

Sorry MountainBlade it that is not it, the code is under the game_start not the tavern thing, I'm just hoping it still just a 0 to a 1

2133 2 144115188075856758 0  seems to work, just remember to backup the scrips file in case I'm wrong

It's especially annoying when you buy/give your companions awesome armour only for them to leave you...

HugoC said:
if anybody knows how to disable it, it'd make my single player experience a lot richer.
No, it'd make your experience more bland and uninteresting. It'd mean there was no cap to the number of companions you could recruit into your party at once. Flavour would have been removed from the game.
I disagree, and personally I tweak my game so that I have a 100% chance of persuading them to stay with 10 persuasion (yes, I pump persuasion, bite me). That way I get to keep them all, but I have to actually earn that. IMO the complaint dialog is missing a reply option. There's "shut up", "tell him/her to shut up" and "I don't care", while realistically there ought to also be "you're both getting flogged for this, and if you even think of walking away from your mercenary contract with me I'll sell your sorry ass to Ramun the next time I see him".
I'm probably one of the few people who like the chatter, and having fewer companions would mean having less of that. They're basically custom soldiers in terms of their function in the game, and training and outfitting them is a bigger and more challenging goal than getting a bunch of redshirt knights or huscarls, plus it's something to do with all that money you get in the endgame (at least in the M&B, we'll see about WB).

Aetius said:
It's especially annoying when you buy/give your companions awesome armour only for them to leave you...
Yeah. "Oh, so you want to leave? Fine, but leave the 80k worth of gear that I gave you and that you should've bought from your own damn pay."

Ringwraith #5 said:
HugoC said:
They're basically custom soldiers in terms of their function in the game, and training and outfitting them is a bigger and more challenging goal than getting a bunch of redshirt knights or huscarls, plus it's something to do with all that money you get in the endgame (at least in the M&B, we'll see about WB).

That is exactly why i love having all my companions stay with me. Gives that whole 'Fellowship of the Ring' feeling. You know you have so and so who can back you up with his expert archery skills, so and so who you know can smash his way through a bottleneck in a siege with his claymore, another so and so who can heal the party and has awesome ninja (Donatello) skillz with his stick (lol) and yet another companion who you know you can rely on to always be by your hardy, well balanced, right-hand man. Plus you can give them all the best gear provided you are rich enough.

I have done this with an army only consisting of companions (disabling companion bickering of course). It was really fun, but really hard! I don't think we won much lol!

Speak of companions, has the likes/dislikes chart changed from the original (and is there a proper term to refer to Mount and Blade instead of Mount and Blade Warband?) and or any new companions been added?

Just slap them down and show them who's boss.  I beat up Nizar pretty good when he complained about Foxy Noxy while we were campaigning around Chez, and he never brought it up again.

Schoulayer said:
I just purchased warband today, so far I'm loving the game.  The only thing I'm dissapointed in so far is the companion infighting. 

I know it's early, but if anybody knows how to disable it, it'd make my single player experience a lot richer.  Thanks.

For anyone who doesn't understand the post compiled editing method, just download this file and unzip it anywhere. Then search for your Mount&Blade Muffins\Modules\Native folder and drop the scripts.txt file in there.

Note: This will require ye to start a new game.

>Edit<
Also, remember to backup your existing scripts.txt in case ye wish to revert this modification.

>Edit2<
Link removed. They still argue. The fix was valid, but something has clearly changed.

There was a second solution for companions leaving which didn't require you to start a new game.

It was a tweak in native, where a line was unlocked to the "I'll leave you" dialog.
Something about "... or you'll get carried home on your shield" and they'd reply "Ok, I'm staying then".  :twisted:

Anybody figured out what to modify to get this in Warband?

Yeah that's easy enough. Find your conversation.txt and search (ctrl+f) for this line: dlga_companion_quitting_response:companion_quitting_no

Immediately after that you should see: 69631 107  2 31 2 1 0 31

Simply change the underlined 0 to 1. Save and you're good to go.

Again, a downloadable file for those who cannot follow this: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gmtn3mm3dju/conversation.zip

Just search for your Mount&Blade Warband\Modules\Native folder and drop the conversation.txt file in there.

remember to backup your original file first.

>Edit<
Should be noted that I've not tested these, but their composition hasn't changed. So I assume these tweaks should work as they previously did. Let me know if they don't and I'll remove the files as soon as possible.

Aetius said:
I have done this with an army only consisting of companions (disabling companion bickering of course). It was really fun, but really hard! I don't think we won much lol!
I did that too, albeit I only got rid of my redshirts when me and all my pals were at high levels. I must say that companions sitting atop chargers, encased in plate armor, and wielding heavy two-handers are extremely effective.
I adopted this standard outfit for my companions after a failed siege, in which I lost to three enemy lords. They didn't have very many troops, having all been defeated shortly before, but all three happened to be wearing heavy armor and wielding two-handers, and I watched in horrified disbelief as wave after wave of my swadian knights was massacred by these three guys sitting on top of the siege ladder. Ever since that fiasco it's two-handers for everyone in my army, and companions wielding them are the first to go into the breach.

Back
Top Bottom