Vikingr sub-mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

River pirate made a ghost texture for Vikingr if I remember correctly, you could easily use that as the Einherjar.

Valhalla (the hall of the fallen), where Odin received the souls of the warriors killed in battle, called the Einherjar. The souls of women warriors, and those strong and beautiful women whom Odin favored, became Valkyries, who gather the souls of warriors fallen in battle (the Einherjar), as these would be needed to fight for him in the battle of Ragnarök. They took the souls of the warriors to Valhalla. Valhalla has five hundred and forty gates, and a vast hall of gold, hung around with golden shields, and spears and coats of mail.

Odin has a number of magical artifacts associated with him: the spear Gungnir, which never misses its target; a magical gold ring (Draupnir), from which every ninth night eight new rings appear; and two ravens Huginn and Muninn (Thought and Memory), who fly around Earth daily and report the happenings of the world to Odin in Valhalla at night. He also owned Sleipnir, an octopedal horse, who was given to Odin by Loki, and the severed head of Mímir, which foretold the future. He also commands a pair of wolves named Geri and Freki, to whom he gives his food in Valhalla since he consumes nothing but mead or wine. From his throne, Hlidskjalf (located in Valaskjalf), Odin could see everything that occurred in the universe. The Valknut (slain warrior's knot) is a symbol associated with Odin. It consists of three interlaced triangles.

Einherjar where supposed to fight :razz:.

Gues having a God(Leader), Einherjar(Infantry), Valkyries(?) would be nice for a faction.  :razz: 

For the "evil" faction. Do we go invasion style? Or battle style?

Edit:

Actually it says only the Aesir (Gods) and the Einherjar fight against the Invaders. (So Invasion mode, called Ragnarok? :razz:)

So for the "Good" faction there would be: A God (Leader), Einherjar (Infantry).

For the Invaders I've found this:

Ragnarok, in Norse mythology, was the predestined death of the Germanic gods. A three-year winter led to a final battle on the Vigrid Plain, where the gods and the frost giants fought the epic final battle. Ragnarok marks the end of the old world, and the beginning of the new, current world.

Odin, who had previously attempted to prevent Ragnarok from occuring, led the gods. They were assisted by the heroic dead, those who had died in glorious battle and had been taken to live in Valhalla and await the final battle. The frost giants were led by the fire god Loki and assisted by the unworthy dead who came from Hel, and by other monsters.

Two humans, Lif and Lifthrasir, hid in a sacred tree called Yggdrasil during the battle and didn't return until after the battle. When they emerged, they repopulated the Earth. Other survivors of Ragnarok included some of the gods, particularly Odin's brother Honir, Odin's sons Vidar and Vali, Thor's sons Modi and Magni. Another of Odin's sons, Balder, was revived from the dead after the battle.

The Vikings were particularly interested in Ragnarok, and many of the Germanic peoples believed that the same type of battle would again occur. Even when Christianity began to take over their belief system, many of them still explored the idea of a Judgement Day in the same light as Ragnarok.

So the "Evil" faction has: Loki, (Frost)Giants, Unworthy Humans from Hell and other Monsters (Fenrir etc.).

If it is invasion mode then first then you we would fight a mix of humans and giants (Gradually building up the giants). After certain rounds you would get a boss round(With the Final Boss being Loki?  :razz:) with a boss (First a Giant, Fenrir, Loki etc.).

Could work out.  :razz:

Meh. When I think of Ragnarok, I think of everything in chaos. You're either on one side or the other. Like in the distance (or skybox) you could see Thor duking it out with Jormunder.

I'd definitely vote for something other than battle... both invasion and hunt mod have their source code released... that should give a pretty good start point to go from for a fun mode.

Not that I want you to stop tossing ideas around, nothing wrong with that. But the way I see it, its not likely going to happen anytime soon, and there is no guarantee that it's ever made. Vinkgr isn't yet finished, and the team is short of manpower.
So just don't complain and be dissapointed if your planning/brainstorming efforts are not used right away.

Phalanx300 said:
Valhalla (the hall of the fallen), where Odin received the souls of the warriors killed in battle, called the Einherjar. The souls of women warriors, and those strong and beautiful women whom Odin favored, became Valkyries, who gather the souls of warriors fallen in battle (the Einherjar), as these would be needed to fight for him in the battle of Ragnarök. They took the souls of the warriors to Valhalla. Valhalla has five hundred and forty gates, and a vast hall of gold, hung around with golden shields, and spears and coats of mail.

Odin has a number of magical artifacts associated with him: the spear Gungnir, which never misses its target; a magical gold ring (Draupnir), from which every ninth night eight new rings appear; and two ravens Huginn and Muninn (Thought and Memory), who fly around Earth daily and report the happenings of the world to Odin in Valhalla at night. He also owned Sleipnir, an octopedal horse, who was given to Odin by Loki, and the severed head of Mímir, which foretold the future. He also commands a pair of wolves named Geri and Freki, to whom he gives his food in Valhalla since he consumes nothing but mead or wine. From his throne, Hlidskjalf (located in Valaskjalf), Odin could see everything that occurred in the universe. The Valknut (slain warrior's knot) is a symbol associated with Odin. It consists of three interlaced triangles.

Einherjar where supposed to fight :razz:.

Gues having a God(Leader), Einherjar(Infantry), Valkyries(?) would be nice for a faction.  :razz: 

For the "evil" faction. Do we go invasion style? Or battle style?

Edit:

Actually it says only the Aesir (Gods) and the Einherjar fight against the Invaders. (So Invasion mode, called Ragnarok? :razz:)

So for the "Good" faction there would be: A God (Leader), Einherjar (Infantry).

For the Invaders I've found this:

Ragnarok, in Norse mythology, was the predestined death of the Germanic gods. A three-year winter led to a final battle on the Vigrid Plain, where the gods and the frost giants fought the epic final battle. Ragnarok marks the end of the old world, and the beginning of the new, current world.

Odin, who had previously attempted to prevent Ragnarok from occuring, led the gods. They were assisted by the heroic dead, those who had died in glorious battle and had been taken to live in Valhalla and await the final battle. The frost giants were led by the fire god Loki and assisted by the unworthy dead who came from Hel, and by other monsters.

Two humans, Lif and Lifthrasir, hid in a sacred tree called Yggdrasil during the battle and didn't return until after the battle. When they emerged, they repopulated the Earth. Other survivors of Ragnarok included some of the gods, particularly Odin's brother Honir, Odin's sons Vidar and Vali, Thor's sons Modi and Magni. Another of Odin's sons, Balder, was revived from the dead after the battle.

The Vikings were particularly interested in Ragnarok, and many of the Germanic peoples believed that the same type of battle would again occur. Even when Christianity began to take over their belief system, many of them still explored the idea of a Judgement Day in the same light as Ragnarok.

So the "Evil" faction has: Loki, (Frost)Giants, Unworthy Humans from Hell and other Monsters (Fenrir etc.).

If it is invasion mode then first then you we would fight a mix of humans and giants (Gradually building up the giants). After certain rounds you would get a boss round(With the Final Boss being Loki?  :razz:) with a boss (First a Giant, Fenrir, Loki etc.).

Could work out.  :razz:

I did plan it more as an invasion mode, but I also picked the troops so it could be played in battle mode.

However, after examining some of the Prose Edda, Loki was trapped on top of three large stones, bound by his son's internal organs in three places, with snake venom being dripped on his face... well, anyway, he was in no condition to lead. Basically, a fellow by the name of Jormungand, one of Loki's sons, who happened to be a large serpent, took over along with Hel's own. When Loki was bound, his convulsions from the burn of the venom caused earthquakes, and just as he was released, Fenrir managed to break his bonds and join up with The serpent, Hel, and Loki.

Invasion would be a lot more fun than any of the other modes, (except maybe siege  :wink:) but it would be more fun if we kept more than one or two troop types, which is why I made a full troop tree for each faction.

Also; The Einherjar should replace the Viking faction. Then, all we'd have to do is change veteran to Einherjar, and we can have The Einherjar, The Gods, but what should the third faction be re-named? There was no reference to the name of the forces that opposed the Aesir, so I'll leave that to you guys.  :???:

Heh, I've thought about a "dungeon" mod. If someone played WoW or similar mmos, he knows what I mean.
And what I mean is that the mod is similar to invasion, but the bunch of players isn't defending. They're cutting their way through the unfriendly lands, fighting many lil' bastards (mobs), who die from one hit, and fewer bigger bastards (bosses), who die only from at least a quiver of arrows and two axe decapitations. Magical area of effect spells are welcome =]

The thing'd look almost exactly as dungeons/raids in WoW... Well, that's my idea, I don't suppose anyone would want to make it or even play it, but I wanted to share ^^
(And that's why I didn't write about it for few screens)

Thomas Caravard said:
Heh, I've thought about a "dungeon" mod. If someone played WoW or similar mmos, he knows what I mean.
And what I mean is that the mod is similar to invasion, but the bunch of players isn't defending. They're cutting their way through the unfriendly lands, fighting many lil' bastards (mobs), who die from one hit, and fewer bigger bastards (bosses), who die only from at least a quiver of arrows and two axe decapitations. Magical area of effect spells are welcome =]

The thing'd look almost exactly as dungeons/raids in WoW... Well, that's my idea, I don't suppose anyone would want to make it or even play it, but I wanted to share ^^
(And that's why I didn't write about it for few screens)
I stopped playing WoW a long time ago because the Gnomes ruined it for me. And later I started to find a lot more reasons to hate the game.

But one of the cool things in WoW was the dungeon raids.

Back
Top Bottom