Video demonstrating the power of Calvary

Users who are viewing this thread

Articulo34 said:
BenKenobi said:
Also it needs to be mentioned that getting your own cavalry is rather easy, as Austrian Kürassiere are tiered the same as Austrian Landwehr foot guys and given enemy AI, it often resembles Swadian horse blob of death and decay. Because why should you take line infantry when you can have as many horsemen?
Because some people like to role play, not power play.

Yep, thanks for clearing that up :razz:

Wow! On day 5, Erzherzog Johann von Österreich had only 15 intantry in his 117 man army. Talk about ridiculous cavalry ratio.

*44 cuirassiers
*38 ulans
*11 dragoons
*8 hussars

9 fusiliers and 6 grenadiers are probably there to shovel all the **** those horses produce.

This scrubling of a lord with only 1 village in his name can probably take on the Polish Duke alone. He has too reasonable 62 cavalry of 282.

So yeah, I was playing, and i met an Italian lord who had an 155 man party. Now, I had 166 troops, so I was expecting a huge, but fair fight. I was wrong on the fair part.

It was foggy, very foggy, so I couldn't see 4 damn feet in front of me. I ordered my infantry into a line, and my cav behind them, as i always do. I look on the mini map, and see the enemy advancing in a line formation. I thought they didn't have cav, and I got so excited. Then it happened...

Out of the distance in the fog, me and my men saw the silhouettes of 155 cavalry charging head first at us. By time i saw them, I didn't have enough time to tell my troops to form a square. Needless to say, they were all killed, all 166 men, dead, in guess what, a matter of 2 minuets. Poor bastard didn't stand a chance.

I tried the battle again by quitting without saving and reloading. This time, the skies were clear, and i could see the Italian prick's 155 cav. I ordered my men, all inf, into a square (or 5 line for some reason,) and told them to brace polearms, and to use melee weapons. But, thanks to the bugged melee system, they all still died, killing only about 3 Italians, while i lost all 166 of my men.

Is there some hotfix that either, fixes this damn melee system, or severley nerfs the power of cav? Yes, I know, Cav was basically the tank of the pre-modern battlefield; but when 160+ Line infantry in a square formation STILL can't fend off a cav charge, something is wrong.

iCod43 said:
So yeah, I was playing, and i met an Italian lord who had an 155 man party. Now, I had 166 troops, so I was expecting a huge, but fair fight. I was wrong on the fair part.

It was foggy, very foggy, so I couldn't see 4 damn feet in front of me. I ordered my infantry into a line, and my cav behind them, as i always do. I look on the mini map, and see the enemy advancing in a line formation. I thought they didn't have cav, and I got so excited. Then it happened...

Out of the distance in the fog, me and my men saw the silhouettes of 155 cavalry charging head first at us. By time i saw them, I didn't have enough time to tell my troops to form a square. Needless to say, they were all killed, all 166 men, dead, in guess what, a matter of 2 minuets. Poor bastard didn't stand a chance.

I tried the battle again by quitting without saving and reloading. This time, the skies were clear, and i could see the Italian prick's 155 cav. I ordered my men, all inf, into a square (or 5 line for some reason,) and told them to brace polearms, and to use melee weapons. But, thanks to the bugged melee system, they all still died, killing only about 3 Italians, while i lost all 166 of my men.

Is there some hotfix that either, fixes this damn melee system, or severley nerfs the power of cav? Yes, I know, Cav was basically the tank of the pre-modern battlefield; but when 160+ Line infantry in a square formation STILL can't fend off a cav charge, something is wrong.

There is hotfixes on the animations, he fixes it so they actually lunge the bayonets corerctly, http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,322304.0.html

saw it coming lol, i recall mentioning this as an issue pre release and being told it wouldn't be one, for all the people giving counter cav tactics i'd like to see a video (from this mod) where and infantry force defeats an AI cav lord WITHOUT exeptional circumstances (ie big hills, 3-1 ratios ect.)

also as a point of how OP player cav is i don't even issue battle orders anymore and my 50 prussian hussars managed to kill 400 russians while i sat on a hill eating chips and fending off the occasional stray

I honestly think your army setting (95% being recruits and light inf.......and Austrians too) was the main problem of your failure. Jeagers afaik have no bayonets at all...... Of course you got plundered. Try fighting them with 140-170 elite Preobrazhensky troops or the Prussians Guard infantry, then see the results.

But yeah, cav is overpowered, that's true. But come to think of it, could a line of just 170 men survive a charge of 110 hardcore cavalry at the time, when placed in a formation that ain't a square nor a bayonet brace like yours?

I agree with a lot of people here. Yes cav are extremely OP, but again it's not really that which bothers me since in real life they were. I'ts just the fact that EVERY enemy lord I fight has at least 80% cav troops.

Agovic said:
I honestly think your army setting (95% being recruits and light inf.......and Austrians too) was the main problem of your failure. Jeagers afaik have no bayonets at all...... Of course you got plundered. Try fighting them with 140-170 elite Preobrazhensky troops or the Prussians Guard infantry, then see the results.

But yeah, cav is overpowered, that's true. But come to think of it, could a line of just 170 men survive a charge of 110 hardcore cavalry at the time, when placed in a formation that ain't a square nor a bayonet brace like yours?

Those are max levels.

iCod43 said:

You just do it wrong... Square in melee mode is realistic to die. In this period one of the cavalry tactics to brak squares is to provoc voley and then kill them, square with empty firearms is useless (or firearms in melee mode). Both in real and in game. Also it's imposible to make square after voley in line, it's realistic too.

gallandro said:
iCod43 said:

You just do it wrong... Square in melee mode is realistic to die. In this period one of the cavalry tactics to brak squares is to provoc voley and then kill them, square with empty firearms is useless (or firearms in melee mode). Both in real and in game. Also it's imposible to make square after voley in line, it's realistic too.

Yeah I realize that now, thnx for the advice, but even then, Calvary still takes out huge numbers..

Is there a specific command that puts everyone in melee mode besides brace?

A few things are the problem.

1. Musket's are too inaccurate.
2. Horses have too much HP.
3. Muskets don't do enough damage.
3. Bracing doesn't work.
4. Musket melee. I'm fixing the animations, but the damage values are still to low.
5. Too much cavalry compared to infantry. The ratio of infantry - cavalry during the Napoleonic wars was 6 -1 in France and 7,2 - 1 in Austria, right now it's closer to 3 - 1.

RanGer_SLO said:
A few things are the problem.

1. Musket's are too inaccurate.
2. Horses have too much HP.
3. Muskets don't do enough damage.
3. Bracing doesn't work.
4. Musket melee. I'm fixing the animations, but the damage values are still to low.
5. Too much cavalry compared to infantry. The ratio of infantry - cavalry during the Napoleonic wars was 6 -1 in France and 7,2 - 1 in Austria, right now it's closer to 3 - 1.
This and also battlefields are a bit too small. Sometimes I´m not even finished properly deploying my men (takes some time to get 180 men into formation) when cavalry is already on top of us.

Articulo34 said:
BushDweller said:
Yeah I realize that now, thnx for the advice, but even then, Calvary still takes out huge numbers..

Is there a specific command that puts everyone in melee mode besides brace?
F4-F1, F4-F2 to return to ranged.

Wow... i completely forgot about the F4 menu :razz: been playing too much Viking Conquest :razz:

In terms of bayonets not doing enough dmg, am I the only who's horse gets insta killed by enemy bots with bayonet jab everytime? And so I just do the same to enemy cav. My tactics are really good so I don't get wrecked by cav, its just every single army is made up of 90% cav so my numbers just drop and drop if I'm in war

Back
Top Bottom