Vaegirs, archers, and linemen

Users who are viewing this thread

Lancefighter

Sergeant at Arms
So I have endeavored to create for myself an unstoppable legion of Vaegir infantry. ... Only to have come to a minor problem in my grand plan.

Vaegir infantry, or at least grey knights.. dont have shields. This makes them kinda useless in sieges.. The troop editor claims that they have the shield guarentee box checked.. but somehow, they still dont have shields.
However, vaegir linemen are almost exactly what I want - polearms, a good shield... perfect shock troopers to stand in front of my archer line. But somehow, on the path to becoming grey... they lose all of that. Grey knights cant even choose between a big axe, a polearm, and a 2h sword.. But almost never a sheld! I see perhaps one in ten carrying a shield..

Enter, the nobles. Almost all of them are exactly where they want... Except that they cant seem to decide if they want a courser or a warhorse. Wtf?! Is this some khergit group or something? I would love to use something like them for ground shock troops, but they seem to lack mobility and usefulness on the ground (they seem to have lighter armor?)
I do use them for shields during a siege, because frankly I cant have grey knights without shields trying to push a siege engine up the plain.

I have been tempted to go to nord towns and start recruiting huscarls.. Except not even those can make up their minds. Sometimes, they are using a huge axe of some sort,... come to think of it, ive really only seem them use that axe. What happened to those giant round huscarls shields?

I guess basically what this post really comes down to is this:
What troops have good shields (and preferably swords.. i prefer them over spears for some reason) that i can stick in front of archers to collect arrows?

Oh, and question 2 - is it possible to use ranks with an archer battalion? i find myself carrying around ~100 archers (i love stuff with bows >.> ) at some times, but it seems if they are too close to each other they will just stand around uselessly. i was thinking something properly midevil - a volley or 5 into the air, nearly straight up? wouldnt work with a strong bow though :\

random question 3 - why is it the first time i seiged a castle with DK's in it, I got 3 or 4 sets of dark armor... but the second time (and when i met them in the field twice) i got no armor at all? :sad:
probably just random chance, but I kinda felt like ranting

Anyhow, thanks for any help..

All of the swadian nobles have shields. Ad are better than the vaegir in every way. Except for a "who is a better byzantine knock off" contest. Then the vag's win by a bit...

And looting DK armor is like any other loot

i should have made this slightly more clear - If possibly, i wish to have vaegir troops - the nobles comment was relating only to vaegir nobles.. Honestly, the only troops I have much experience in are vaegir troops... and even then, only the linemen->grey knights, and the archers, and the nobles.

Lancefighter said:
Vaegir infantry, or at least grey knights.. dont have shields. This makes them kinda useless in sieges.. The troop editor claims that they have the shield guarentee box checked.. but somehow, they still dont have shields.

Then they probably have no shields in their ''inventory''.

They have to shields because they are using a two handed polearm or other weapon etc... They can have a shield but not use it if the best weapon in their inventory disallows shields.

sa for shields, what you should do is throw in 50% of your force as mid-tier shield infantry. They really reduce the losses of your elites. Though if assaulting a dark knight castle you may not be abl to afford the spare slots.

Anyway, for vaegirs good shielded troops are, as you've noticed few and far between. Heavy infantry dont really hack it when trying to open a gap in the defenders. I think lesser princes are a good bet then. I think praetorians or kataphraktos have shields iirc but i havent played Vaegir for a while. One has a big lance so is not a good idea in melee. Another idea is to use lots of ivory sentinls and get them to hold fire until the siege tower is in place.

edit: copy and paste of troop tree exe of NE vaegirs infantry/cavalry: #
Recruit (Level 4 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 61 2H: 68 POLE: 67)

Footman (Level 9 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 87 2H: 90 POLE: 89)
          o
            Veteran (Level 14 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 90 2H: 86 POLE: 102)
                +
                  Horseman (Level 19 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 119 2H: 103 POLE: 112)
                      #
                        Druzhinnik (Level 24 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 135 2H: 147 POLE: 143)
                              Praetorian (Level 24 STR: 25 AGI: 10 1H: 174 2H: 181 POLE: 189)
                                  o
                                    Praetorian Knight (Level 26 STR: 29 AGI: 10 1H: 240 2H: 218 POLE: 21:cool:
                                        +
                                          Praetorian Commander (Level 26 STR: 32 AGI: 18 1H: 280 2H: 273 POLE: 283)
                              Kataphraktos (Level 28 STR: 30 AGI: 14 1H: 211 2H: 225 POLE: 213)
                                  o
                                    Elite Kataphraktos (Level 29 STR: 34 AGI: 14 1H: 211 2H: 237 POLE: 212)
                +
                  Heavy Infantry (Level 19 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 110 2H: 118 POLE: 106)
                      #
                        Guard (Level 24 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 147 2H: 152 POLE: 146)
                              Varangian Guard (Level 26 STR: 24 AGI: 16 1H: 180 2H: 181 POLE: 185)
                                  o
                                    Varangian Berserker (Level 27 STR: 40 AGI: 30 1H: 304 2H: 315 POLE: 333)
                              Elite Infantry (Level 25 STR: 20 AGI: 5 1H: 183 2H: 188 POLE: 186)
                                  o
                                    Highlander (Level 24 STR: 24 AGI: 12 1H: 203 2H: 182 POLE: 204)
                      #
                        Lineman (Level 22 STR: 14 AGI: 10 1H: 110 2H: 118 POLE: 176)
                              Heavy Lineman (Level 25 STR: 20 AGI: 14 1H: 110 2H: 118 POLE: 186)
                                  o
                                    Grey Guard (Level 27 STR: 25 AGI: 15 1H: 110 2H: 118 POLE: 196)
                                        +
                                          Grey Knight (Level 27 STR: 28 AGI: 20 1H: 110 2H: 118 POLE: 206)

Lancefighter said:
that seems fairly weird, elite infantry lose a level when they become highlanders?

Further proof that the more advanced a civilization becomes technologically the less intelligent they become.

Back
Top Bottom