Up Javelin damage!!

Users who are viewing this thread

263ypu1.jpg

For a game that's supposed to be realistic, it sure has a lot of "How the hell?" moments. This should never happen, I should be DEAD from a javelin to the chest like that!

...then again I WAS on the Nord team  :smile:

While I'm at it, you should take SOME damage from 100ft drops like in the Castle Map, where a viable tactic is to cannonball into the gatehouse from midwall.

Ive been killed plenty of times in one hit by a javelin, it probably just didn't penetrate to far or was thrown from a long distance.

Umthis game was never dedicated to be relistic. The javelin might have not penetrated your armour anyways.

The depth of penetration appears to be non-lethal, so it probably wouldn't have killed you IRL. If the guy chucking the javelin was considerate enough to have cleaned the head, you might avoid dying a nasty death due to infection too! :lol:

I don't think there's organ hit boxes or anything, and the damage done is pretty random (it can do anywhere from 25 - 100% of full damage).  There's people that survive javelins to the head and neck and others who die to javelins to the toes.  It's just completely random.

I think they're fine, I've killed/gotten killed enough times to see that they're fair. Notice that the javelin didn't go too deep into you. You'd just be in an extremely intense amount of pain and probably on the ground crying.

Also, are your graphics turned down as low as possible?

Yea I know what you mean. The weapon count is high, but the actual damage is low, so there are things flying around everywhere.

Also on a related note:

op69w6.jpg

:mrgreen: Thats me, doing that screenshot required me to get my mouse on top of the print screen button.

I think the last thing needed is increased Javelin damage. It seems that the throwing weapons have become overpowered, I played about 10 games last night in battle mode and swung my sword one time. It wasn't even that I was bad (which I am), just that the second I lowered my shield to make a move I had 6 or 7 people throwing **** at me and the one that actually hit killed me. Increased damage will just add to the amount of players who throw their weapons and run away, kind of takes away from the melee fun...

And besides, I agree with everyone, that javelin hasn't even penetrated your armor..

I think there are two big problems with throwing weapons:

A) You can carry WAYY too many. When was the last time you heard of someone carrying 20 Axes, or 30 Javelins? Seeing as people normally carry two or more stacks of throwing weapons, 2-4 should be more than enough ammo for a stack.
B) What you do carry is too light, allowing players carrying huge loads of throwing weapons to still run away easily.

I wouldn't mind damage being upped slightly, if weight were upped, and the amount of ammo reduced significantly. I think this would make the game more fun for all.

Literally everyone carries throwing weapons. Combine that with those who play as archers, and it is almost impossible to use any kind of two handed weapon, or for-go carrying a shield. Furthermore, when you do get in close combat with someone, you'll more than likely receive a spear/axe/arrow/bolt in your back than getting hit by the other guy's sword.

[Edit] Also, I don't think that throwing weapons should be standard(free) for non-ranged infantry. Only skirmishers really carried such weapons. In M&B, there's always been an over-dominance of ranged weapons -- even in single player. The only difference is that CPU's can't aim, or be cheap. However, players can. So this imbalance is brought out strongly online.

I think a good way that another game (age of chivalry mod on the source engine) deals with ranged spam is to dramatically decrease your speed if you have a ranged weapon in your hand. It makes it much more riskier to try to throw weapons at people in close quarters combat. If you want to be able to move and dodge your opponent, you are forced to switch to your melee weapon. Also, you won't see people standing up against a cavalry charge, chucking their weapons, and jumping out of the way to safety. It will be much less attractive to spam ranged weapons if their mobility is severely impaired.

Hibiki said:
I think there are two big problems with throwing weapons:

A) You can carry WAYY too many. When was the last time you heard of someone carrying 20 Axes, or 30 Javelins? Seeing as people normally carry two or more stacks of throwing weapons, 2-4 should be more than enough ammo for a stack.
B) What you do carry is too light, allowing players carrying huge loads of throwing weapons to still run away easily.

I wouldn't mind damage being upped slightly, if weight were upped, and the amount of ammo reduced significantly. I think this would make the game more fun for all.

Literally everyone carries throwing weapons. Combine that with those who play as archers, and it is almost impossible to use any kind of two handed weapon, or for-go carrying a shield. Furthermore, when you do get in close combat with someone, you'll more than likely receive a spear/axe/arrow/bolt in your back than getting hit by the other guy's sword.

[Edit] Also, I don't think that throwing weapons should be standard(free) for non-ranged infantry. Only skirmishers really carried such weapons. In M&B, there's always been an over-dominance of ranged weapons -- even in single player. The only difference is that CPU's can't aim, or be cheap. However, players can. So this imbalance is brought out strongly online.

Totally agrees... Especially for Battle mode.
Max 5 javelins for my taste.

And about amounts... Why does it feel like everyone carrying two shields, and hundreds of throwing weapons and a two handed axe? :roll: just screams of Serious Sam seriousness there.

Ok I didn't convice you guys the first time, so lemme try again!
fw0f41.jpg

:grin: funny thing is, I last the entire round walking about with that javelin in my throat, because see how much damage I inexplicably didn't take?

Again I was a Nord. . so maybe Nords are just manly enough to shrug it off :razz:.

Well, aren't javelins free for most classes that can have them? I'd rather not have another throwing axe fiasco. As for the picture above, you're a Nord wearing quite good armor, so it's almost alright, but I think I'll test this a bit later today.

Back
Top Bottom