United States Marine Corps

Users who are viewing this thread

Worbah said:
I've got about six months of freedom. Six months there and freedom. I just hope that I won't get killed because of some **** ups mistake.

What are you talking about? Sounds like you're joining the Foreign Legion.

Why the sad face? I was in the Navy myself, and I had the time of my life.

Besides, the odds of dying of anything as a conscript are very slim indeed, and if it happens it is far more likely to be one's own fault than anyone else's.

I've been two weeks in the Finnish Defence Forces now. :???:
I'm just about to head back from my first leave and i'm falling apart so fast people get hit by shrapnel. God damn waking up at 5.30 is pissing me off.

I discovered M&B again earlier today, what with all the new upgrades and mods. Why don't i have a laptop? :sad:

To worbah and lost-lamb, just hope you end up in Kainuu Brigade, Recon Company. The discipline is not so strict as in the other companies, and i guarantee you'll get lots of healthy exersise.
If things go as i think they will, I will be an under-sergeant by then...
:twisted:

TIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDUSTELUKOMPPANIASSA HEEEEERÄTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYS! OOOOOOOOOOVET AAAUKIII! VAAAAAALOT PÄÄÄÄÄÄLLLEEEEEE!

Aargh, i say.

edit: oh, right. that weird moon language caps thing is what we get shouted as an wake-up call. "Recon company, wake up! Lights on! Doors open!"

Mad Larkin said:
The discipline is not so strict as in the other companies
And yet you're

Mad Larkin said:
waking up at 5.30
It's tough to serve in the infantry, it appears.

Thanks to the sensible officers of the finnish air force, we (almost) never had to wake up before 6.00 save for the last 6 months as a squad leader, when the wake up was (officially) at 5.45, but since the actual wake up calls were made with the respectful voice of a meek manservant, it wasn't quite as bad.

Anyways, the first 2 months are the worst, but once you get through that, you might even get something rather sensible to do on occasion. I suppose the squad leader training might be physically rather demanding in recon, but the job actually gets pretty rewarding once you get some actual recruits under your command.

Kelpo said:
Mad Larkin said:
The discipline is not so strict as in the other companies
And yet you're

Mad Larkin said:
waking up at 5.30
It's tough to serve in the infantry, it appears.
Never said recon wasn't tough, it's just things are done in a laid-back manner. As long as things work, **** doesn't start flying. :razz:

Worbah said:
Mad Larkin said:
To worbah and lost-lamb, just hope you end up in Kainuu Brigade, Recon Company.

That's where I requested. :smile:
Holy crap. Welcome!

Protip for all army-goers: Never, ever fall asleep in formation. It brings trouble.

damn.. it must suck to have to go to the army. I hate such controlling policies, with all respect. I just don't like everything that has to do with the army's attitude, just justificating invading countries, killing people (including innocents). Well, that's just my opinion, I think there should be peace everywhere, just go kill people in games, that's what they're for.

Mad Larkin said:

Who are you defending against? The only border I can see you having problems with is Russia. And in that case defending against vodka, drugs and people traffickers. Or is it taken more seriously than that? :?:

Ilex said:
May your aim be sharp and may your bullets bring death to thousand men.

I'd rather say: may everyone finally come to their senses and stop all the needless killing and suffering. Ya basta!

Agreed Janosh, agreed. War and legal killing is the most horrible thing a man can do. This government brainwashing makes me wanna puke.

Janosh said:
Ilex said:
May your aim be sharp and may your bullets bring death to thousand men.

I'd rather say: may everyone finally come to their senses and stop all the needless killing and suffering. Ya basta!

There never can be peace, as long as planet earth isn´t destroyed together with the whole mankind. :razz:

So such hopes are useless.

sheek said:
Mad Larkin said:

Who are you defending against? The only border I can see you having problems with is Russia. And in that case defending against vodka, drugs and people traffickers. Or is it taken more seriously than that? :?:
For what i gather it is most of all a deterrent force. Invading a country where almost every adult male has a place in the army is not an pleasant job.

Finland has no real capability to fight (let alone win) a large scale war... but a reserve army saved our collective asses twice the last century, so i guess they have a point.

kelpo said:
Thanks to the sensible officers of the finnish air force, we (almost) never had to wake up before 6.00 save for the last 6 months as a squad leader, when the wake up was (officially) at 5.45, but since the actual wake up calls were made with the respectful voice of a meek manservant, it wasn't quite as bad.
Air force? Were you a pilot, mechanic or what?
I tried for the pilot training but i flunked the physical tests :lol:

edit: god damnit i can't use bbcode

Lu Bu said:

Ummm... why exactly?

There was a time when for example abolishment of slavery, a 8-hour working days, universal suffrage etc. etc. seemed like a pie in the sky. Now, look how far we've come! Fatalist attitude never helped mankind achieve anything, and never will. It's the dreamers who make the world a better place!

On to a more down-to-earth argument against war: there was a time when ordinary people would tell the elite to shove their wars. Before the "divine order" dictated by Christian dogma, and later the "nationalist project", there were no large-scale wars. That was because no-one except mercenaries would fight in them!

Janosh said:
Lu Bu said:

Ummm... why exactly?

There was a time when for example abolishment of slavery, a 8-hour working days, universal suffrage etc. etc. seemed like a pie in the sky. Now, look how far we've come! Fatalist attitude never helped mankind achieve anything, and never will. It's the dreamers who make the world a better place!

On to a more down-to-earth argument against war: there was a time when ordinary people would tell the elite to shove their wars. Before the "divine order" dictated by Christian dogma, and later the "nationalist project", there were no large-scale wars. That was because no-one except mercenaries would fight in them!

I don't think that's right...

If you're a serf in a middle age kingdom you don't have a choice. It's true the mercenaries were the main part of the armies but that's because the nobles thought we were too inferior be important in anything.

By the way, isn't it funny that this is a forum dedicated to a game where the only objective is to randomly murder anyone you meet... and nearly all of us are pacifists? :smile:

edit:

POST 6.6.6!!

The mark of the beast.. :twisted:

By the way, isn't it funny that this is a forum dedicated to a game where the only objective is to randomly murder anyone you meet... and nearly all of us are pacifists? Smile

No, it makes perfect sense. Humans do have their natural aggressions (some have more, some have less), pacifists are simply smart enough to vent them out in harmless computer games (or sports or whatever) instead of grannies on the street...

Janosh said:
By the way, isn't it funny that this is a forum dedicated to a game where the only objective is to randomly murder anyone you meet... and nearly all of us are pacifists? Smile

No, it makes perfect sense. Humans do have their natural aggressions (some have more, some have less), pacifists are simply smart enough to vent them out in harmless computer games (or sports or whatever) instead of grannies on the street...

If it would be legal to murder/harm people you would see how much pacifists there would be left. :razz:
Oh and you cant defend yourself against an enemy if you dont harm him.

If the world would be united under one strong ruler, there could be peace. But you know a human dies and when the strong ruler is death, who will be his successor? So the result would be new wars. :razz:

Or maybe if all humans are controlled by new forms of manipulation, due to whatever so they lose there free will. But yet there would be the need of people who still have a free will... and they would cause problems too. :roll: Also can you call that good? It would only mean that you are enslaved by people like Bush. :wink:

There may be other ways for peace on planet earth, but all would only be temporary.

So thats why there is no hope for peace. There always will be war. And many people dont care if they aren´t involved.

Mad Larkin said:
kelpo said:
Air force? Were you a pilot, mechanic or what?
I tried for the pilot training but i flunked the physical tests :lol:
Heh, no. I'm not particularly fond of heights or travelling at extremely high speeds, so the two combined hold quite little appeal to me. I was a signal corporal, so my job was mainly to handle the communications between a command center and an airfield or a radar station via faxes and long range radios. The rank of corporal is also of little consequence, since the signal squad only consists of corporals and/or sergeants, so there really isn't much of a chain of command inside it.

Lu Bu said:
So thats why there is no hope for peace. There always will be war. And many people dont care if they aren´t involved.

You're equating aggression/violence with war, but it simply isn't so. War, not peace, requires that people act against their free will! War and aggression are not the same. Aggression usually only steps in when you're already in a life-threatening situation, but the road leading there has very little to do with the primitive reactions and drives of the human being. It is a result of conscious, concerted action!

Not caring could be a good thing: it would lead to people minding their own business and not going to war for some stupid "causes" which usually boil down to an (or a group of) authoritarian a--hole(s) ambitions veiled in hypocrisy and morality.

The real problem is, that people are fed all this religious/nationalist/whatever bull**** that replaces reason and self-preservation with oh-too-easily abused ideals. Does "fighting for democracy" ring a bell, anyone?! :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom