Understanding trade penalty

Users who are viewing this thread

Dabos37

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I am currently playing a merchant campaign and I would like to understand a better how trade penalty works. I am playing as an Aserai character (-10% trade penalty), I also have -51% trade penalty thanks to trade skill, and also the -50% trade penalty thanks to Smuggler Connections (roguery perk) when trading in kingdoms while having any amount of criminal rating in that kingdom.

For some reason I still have to pay more money than I receive for products, and I would like to understand why. Do you know the exact numbers to calculate trade penalty? I can currently buy a sword for 100k and sell it for 75K, even when I have -126% trade penalty:

- Appraiser (trade perk): -15% trade penalty equipment.
- Aserai cultural bonus: -10%
- Trade skill: -51%
- Smuggler Connections: -50%

Total: -126%

(I am probably missing something here and trade penalty reductions do not stack up or something else).

Thanks.

I don't know the trade formula, but I just did a quick test to give you a reference point - my char only has appraiser perk (-15% equipment) and bought a 2H sword for 96k, sold back for 40k.

So you get approx 35% more than me. I'd guess it sounds about right, it's supposed to reduce your loss not eliminate it entirely. They're not going to make it so a player can buy out the shop and instantly sell it back for a profit.

I was wondering about that too. To take your two examples, 100/75 gives a +/- 12.5 penalty and 96/40 gives a +/- 28 penalty. That's about a 125% difference so it seems to make sense.

@Dabos37 I'm sure someone who's good at looking at code could tell you exactly how it works but my guess is the bonuses aren't additive so you can never get where the perks cancel out the penalty they only reduce it. If the bonuses worked the way you're thinking, it would be broken as ****.

Back
Top Bottom