Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

Jhessail said:
Welcome to 6-months ago, slowpoke.  :grin:

True, true . . . still, Putin is unlikely to go Third Reich on us I think. Based on the numbers I've seen from a forumite buddy who works for Danish military I think what NATO can muster is a pretty close match to what Russia could bring to the table and that isn't even considering if the U.S. were to get involved.

So Merkel and Hollande probably have NOT doomed Western Europe to WWIV, and maybe they did buy Kiev some time or something.

But seems to me that "agreeing" to a cease fire in which the separatists de facto 'get to hold what they have' and projects separatist elections this year is at least a bit of handing Putin everything he wanted.

Anthropoid said:
Jhessail said:
Welcome to 6-months ago, slowpoke.  :grin:

True, true . . . still, Putin is unlikely to go Third Reich on us I think. Based on the numbers I've seen from a forumite buddy who works for Danish military I think what NATO can muster is a pretty close match to what Russia could bring to the table and that isn't even considering if the U.S. were to get involved.

So Merkel and Hollande probably have NOT doomed Western Europe to WWIV, and maybe they did buy Kiev some time or something.

But seems to me that "agreeing" to a cease fire in which the separatists de facto 'get to hold what they have' and projects separatist elections this year is at least a bit of handing Putin everything he wanted.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a referendum to shortly integrate into Russia proper if the worst outcome were to happen, i.e the Russian Expeditionary Forces holding the province.

Funny how the page count is Hitler's birth month and day as we start to talk about the world wars.

Gestricius said:
Funny how the page count is Hitler's birth month and day as we start to talk about the world wars.

Funny how you would jump to thinking about Hitler instead of just thinking about weed.  :neutral:

Solid American victory right there!

Unless I missed something, there hasn't been any announcements regarding Donbass future. All the nitty gritty details need to be hammered out later.

Suddenly.
Minsk:
0Bn-Z.jpg
NB: Belarus is a Russian satrap.

Basically - Crimea & Black Sea Fleet on a South, Belarus - North, a bit of Transnistria - South-West, and on the East is... well, y'know.

Summery: Damn you Rockstar for postponing GTAV release :mad:

Mage246 said:
He's probably one of those weirdos that considers the War on Terror to be WW3.
He might also consider the cold war to be a third world war, something I somewhat agree with. That or he simply did a typo.

@Treuuten: ......What?

Belarus had passed a law last month which came into effect Feb. 1st regarding martial law which created a legal framework for responding to groups of armed men, uniformed or un-uniformed, military or mercenary, operating in Belorussian territory without the state's knowledge or consent and threatening public order or proclaiming themselves independent of the Belorussian state. Commentators interpret this as being a preventative measure against the "Little Green Men" scenario which saw Crimea systematically occupied and paralyzed from within by Russian Army regulars in uniforms stripped of identifying marks. The law also permits martial law in response to a foreign military build-up close to Belarus' borders without necessarily crossing that border or directly infringing on Belorussian territory. However, recent waves of conscription and mass drills occurring in Belarus are in response to NATO concentrations in Poland and the Baltic states, so this law specifying unknown agents may be not so much directed at Russia specifically, but rather a general provision against any kind of tactic a foreign state might bring to bear in conveniently diverse border territories - a better-safe-than-sorry contingency plan.

The precise law is "No. 244-З On the Introduction of Changes and Additions in Particular Laws of the Republic of Belarus in relation to Martial Law" of 10 January 2015 and can be read in Russian here: http://pravo.by/main.aspx?guid=12551&p0=H11500244&p1=1&p5=0

You... are a bundle of information. Thanks.  :grin:

Also not sure if Weaver or Trueten can weigh in on this but does this mean Right Sector has rejected the ceasefire?
https://www.facebook.com/dyastrub/posts/782660468477506

rejenorst said:
does this mean Right Sector has rejected the ceasefire?
https://www.facebook.com/dyastrub/posts/782660468477506
Kind of. It says that treaties with Putin and RF are impossible as those people never follow them, that there is an increase in activity and enemy presence on the front lines. Also Yarosh states that treaties with terrorists have no power and are anti-constitutional. On the other hand, he says, protecting the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine is a duty of each citizen and they are going to protect their right to fulfill that duty by any means necessary. In the same time he supports Poroshenko's diplomatic efforts but suggests involvement of US and UK into negotiation process.

At the moment, afaik, Right Sector has 14 batallions and estimates around 50k in total manpower including reserves.
Gotta go and watch this again.

Well, I don't know the exact numbers but this 50k is not hard to believe.
14 battalions is an official number though and they are planning to increase it beyond 20.
So it's at least 10-14k regular troops. And keeping 3 times as many in mobilizable reserve seems reasonable to me.
4 of these 14 battalions are taking part in military operations while the rest are being formed and trained by rotated veterans.
With the constant flow of volunteers they have I wont be surprised if they soon reach 100k or even more.

Back
Top Bottom