Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

Jhessail said:
Girkin/Strelkov is actually in opposition against Putin at the moment. He likely has as much chance of ousting Putin as a snowball has in an active volcano, but there you go. Will be interesting to see how quickly he vanishes off the scene.
If by vanishing you mean Putin's active efforts to shut Girkin down I don't see that happening as long as the latter doesn't start claiming that Crimea is not rightfully Russian or something to that extent.
Putin does not mind political opposition at all because he (rightfully) considers Russian political scene to be a completely controlled environment. He only goes after people who "break the rules".
Feragorn said:
And/or ending up like poor Nemtsov.
I actually don't believe Putin is behind this assassination either.

Do not go gentle into that good night...

k13m6Lu.jpg

From what I know, it's mosty just the SBU (Security Service of Ukraine) detaining arms and drug smugglers. Many ceasefire violations, very few losses, mostly wounded. John Kerry just arrived in Kiev an hour ago, possibly to talk about NATO. Last time a survey was held about NATO, 77% of those asked about it would vote in favour of joining.

Stepan Kubiv (Vice Premier of Ukraine) said that Ukrainian visa-free travel was postponed because of Brexit.

To me it's fairly clear. Russia made some very explicit moves right before G7 summit in Tokyo. Putin let Savchenko and some other political prisoners go, announced that Donbas is a part of Ukraine and Russia would be content if it stayed that way, etc. Donbas was literally at its quietest right before the summit. Putin expected reciprocal moves from the west. Didn't get what he wanted. Right after the summit situation started to gradually heat up again. You do the math.

Comrade Temuzu said:
Is something going on over there? Other than bombing from the rebels apparently. Are they preparing for a summer offensive or something?

Nobody is going to prepare an offensive for many reasons.
1) The war may be a good business.
2) The war distracts people from internal problems.
3) Ukrainian authorities need the war to reduce the potential of civil society of putting pressure on them. Because many people still have to help Ukrainian army.
4) Putin needs the war to have a lever of pressure on Ukraine. It works well when there is a constant threat, not a real offensive.
5) Finally, both sides just don't have sufficient power for an offensive.

Putin is escalating tensions vis-a-vis Ukraine now.

First, after scaling down his support for Assad, the equipment thus released was mostly relocated to Crimea, including S-400 Triumf SAM systems. In addition, Russia increased its forces on both sides of Ukraine, by holding "exercises" in Transnistria as well as increasing troop amounts near Donbass.

Then, to cover up for that, FSB kidnapped a bunch of hapless Ukrainians near the Crimean border and dressed them up as Ukrainian "super spies", forcing them to read made up "confessions" in the best Soviet style.

Finally, Putin emerged in public faking outrage and announcing withdrawal from the next round of Minsk negotiations - negotiations that Russia had demanded in the first place.

What's up? Nobody knows. Is this merely posturing for domestic consumption before next elections? Is Putin actually going to escalate the conflict back to "proper" shooting war status from the low-impact one that is currently going on?

In any case, Russia is holding massive military exercises this fall and, historically, has on occasion sent its troops to fight immediately after (like in 2008 in Georgia and in 2015 for Syria).

Jhessail said:
Then, to cover up for that, FSB kidnapped a bunch of hapless Ukrainians near the Crimean border and dressed them up as Ukrainian "super spies", forcing them to read made up "confessions" in the best Soviet style.

Can you link me to your source for that? That should be all over the news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37062036

Russian state TV broadcast an apparent confession by a man named as Yevhen Panov, saying he was part of a Ukrainian defence ministry force sent into Crimea "to carry out acts of sabotage". He said the group also included officers of Ukraine's military intelligence.

_90769697_034581812-1.jpg

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/insidestory/2016/08/conflict-ukraine-escalate-160811181327075.html

Also, the guys read their "confessions" from a paper off-screen and FSB has a history of doing stunts like these.

East of me, i'm the center of the universe.

I meant proper militaries as well, i've seen Polish army troops with face-masks being rather common and we all remember the little green men in the Crimean peninsular, granted I can understand the want to keep faces hidden in a move like that.

Just a thought, how common is the use of camo-cream in the armies of European nations? Maybe it's just a preferance of one over the other.

Ah ok. I thought someone might have come forward like his family to verify he was kidnapped during the course of his every day mundane life etc. Russia has motive enough and history true but then both sides have done some really stupid things. In the video the guy seems to be looking at his interrogator and occasionally looks away, rolls his eyes or closes them when he's thinking about his answer at least in the video I saw. Lack of athletic build and strange choice of shirt for undercover operations bug me more (not the shirt he was arrested in it seems). Also I was expecting a lot more coverage of the dead FSB agents (tributaries etc) if in fact some have been killed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez1s9PucB2g

mcwiggum said:
Why do Eastie-armed forces always obsess with face-masks and balaclavas?
>Balaclavas
>Crimea
>Crimean War (Deux)

>hotshiggedydiggedy

t. feragorn

Back
Top Bottom