Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

Untitled. said:
trueten said:
F*ck, again. Russian military trucks moving from Crimean city Sevastopol (their military base) to Yalta (doesn't suppose to have their military bases):
What are they saying in the video?

Looks like the Russians are telling them "You cannot video tape the inside of this compound" at the end. Bit suspicious.

That compound is a "Military Sanatorium" owned and operated by Russia's Black Sea Fleet - the name loses a lot in translation, it's more of a hotel and resort than a hospital. The troops have the right to be there... the mystery is why.

Dodes said:
Yes, a faction of the protesters are fascists and Neo-Nazis, which has been used to discredit the entire civil disobedience, especially by pro-national Russian press.

Still video footage is real.
But it's understandable that extremist scum thrives in times of civil unrest and chaos. I will only start worrying if they ever make it into the Parliament.

Well, the move could be entirely innocent - just a precaution to prevent looting or vandalism. I would be more worried if Russians suddenly throw a training exercise and move the 20th Guards Army nearer from Voronezh. I would start stockpiling food and ammo if the 76th Air Assault Division joins them. Because that's how the 2008 Georgian war started - organize a training exercise for the nearest army, so they can get their **** together and no-one wonders why live ammo is handed out. Have the most elite unit of the army to play the OPFOR. Whoops, our exercise turned into an invasion, I mean, restrained response to Georgian aggression.

Anthropod, we can go over that fun gun control discussion in the relevant thread:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,22614.375.html

Yes, I know it's from 2007 but it at least has the proper name. Every other discussion on this has derailed a thread dedicated to something else.

Fair? Maybe not, but it effectively bans the man from re-entering Ukraine, which I do find fair. Yanukovych has no business ever returning to Ukraine.

What I find particularly ironic about protests in Crimea is that in an unlikely event of secession and merging with Russia that would have been like their last anti-government protest ever.

rebelsquirrell said:
Is that really fair? (I haven't followed the events closely)

I thought both sides were aggressive against each other.
They found the organisational stuff for how he planned to deal with the Maidan thing, so... yeah.
It comes down to:
Circle them in with 20k police, then start shooting with 1000 "sharpshooters". Stop shooting when everybody stopped twitching.

There's a chance these are made up documents of course, but given what he actually did do...

Si-A-erra. said:
Sounds like pure bull****. 1k sharpshooters? na nah bro.
Uh, anyone with a rifle and some training could be called a sharpshooter. And the protestors found a lot of documents in the Presidential palace, that had been throw in the river, which they have been drying and deciphering.

The plan to send him to Hague is a good one, as Weaver earlier said. It's the best place to ensure he gets a fair trial and that there's no credible "Yanukovich the Martyr" movement.

Weaver said:
What I find particularly ironic about protests in Crimea is that in an unlikely event of secession and merging with Russia that would have been like their last anti-government protest ever.
Indeed. Sad but funny.

Jhessail said:
The plan to send him to Hague is a good one, as Weaver earlier said. It's the best place to ensure he gets a fair trial and that there's no credible "Yanukovich the Martyr" movement.
That won't stop the Martyr thing. It'll be "poor, poor Yanukovich" being unfairly judged by a foreign power no matter what.
Facts won't matter.

But yeah, probably the best bet in any case.

Jhessail said:
Well, the move could be entirely innocent - just a precaution to prevent looting or vandalism. I would be more worried if Russians suddenly throw a training exercise and move the 20th Guards Army nearer from Voronezh. I would start stockpiling food and ammo if the 76th Air Assault Division joins them. Because that's how the 2008 Georgian war started - organize a training exercise for the nearest army, so they can get their **** together and no-one wonders why live ammo is handed out. Have the most elite unit of the army to play the OPFOR. Whoops, our exercise turned into an invasion, I mean, restrained response to Georgian aggression.

Anthropod, we can go over that fun gun control discussion in the relevant thread:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,22614.375.html

Yes, I know it's from 2007 but it at least has the proper name. Every other discussion on this has derailed a thread dedicated to something else.
****, I just read that Putin has ordered an immediate military exercise near the Ukrainian border! :eek: 
Georiga v2 with Novorossiya, anyone?

Back
Top Bottom