Troop Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Bandits so weak in this mod.  :sad: They are just walking money. Imho you must reequip them and forest, mountain bandits.

There are a lot of troops in this mod, but some have the same name ( Mercenary Archer for expl.). May be add a prename? ( Swadian ... , Vaegir and so on).

Joker86 said:
ejnomad07 said:
Why does everyone want to end with Elite "whatever troops". Over use an adjective much?

How about you be more creative and try more nouns instead of just glossing every troop tree with boring adjectives eh?

Somewhere here I read that Merc was trying to avoid faction adjectives like "Rhodok Sergeant" and "Swadian Sergeant", but I think this isn't annoying that much  :???:

If you wouldn't try any more to avoid these faction names you would have much more possibilities to name your units, Merc. And so important names like "Infantry", "Scout" or "Knight" wouldn't be reserved for one faction any more.

Or you can just not be lazy and use other words that mean Infantry, Knight, and Scout. Why should every nation call their troops the same thing?

The Mercenary said:
WarlordG said:
this mod should have a Weapon Master
put like all weapons on them, and a medium-heavy armour
but only melee, and Power Strike and Ironflesh on 10
but agi in like 3, or 5 and Athletics 0

=D
slow but powerful \o/
in my personal mod - ya i have one ! -
they are lvl 40, 10 ironflesh, 10 power strike, with very powerful weapons, mediuns armours ( like lamellar, mail ) 25 STR 1 AGI 3 INT 3 CHAR and 10 Weapon Master

and need to be mercenary troop tree like these

Warrior - Elite Warrior - Apprentice Weapon Master - Weapon Master - Elite Weapon Master

Weapons Masters are generally considered fast.

Depends in what weapon he mastered

But look at this -

Warrior  - Veteran Warrior - Elite Warrior - Master Warrior
            - Apprentice Weapon Master - Weapon Master - Lord of Weapons

and to App WM to LoW is slow, like a tank
Very very powerful
but without speed

and Vet Warrior to Master Warrior
High Speed Warriors, like WM, with all weapons but !
low armours , like Tribal Warrior outfit to the maximum a Hauberk

ejnomad07 said:
Or you can just not be lazy and use other words that mean Infantry, Knight, and Scout. Why should every nation call their troops the same thing?

Well, if it is the same thing it makes sense to name it the same way. If there are synonyms, you're lucky, but if not - you can't change it. I would prefer faction adjectives instead of some weird or foreign names, e.g. Kataphraktos, Keshik or Einherjar. I never ever heard of these names, and I'm pretty sure most other players also didn't. I'm already proud of having ever heard of Varangian Guards, who were viking mercenaries for the Byzantinian Empire. That's what I read at least. Would make sense.  :mrgreen:

Would be much easier if there were simple "Vaegir Knights", and everybody, who plays the game the first time, can imagine what's hiding behind this upgrade button.

And I have to admit that I still don't know where the differences are between Arban, Keshik, Lesser Khan, Mangudai and whatever. Yes, okay, I hate Khergits (even more than Nords), and I never ever recruit any troops of them, but after fighting them in now over five newly started NE games, I still don't know where the differences are. More or less they're all guys on horses always running away from me and trying to shoot me, but I couldn't tell which one would be the more offensive, the more defensive, the faster or the slower one. I would have to talk to each troop type to look at its stats, and I would have to look at the model to estimate weaponry and armory, and, worst of all, I would have to keep that in mind by simple learning it by heart.

Currently I am playing around with module system a bit, and I want to make my first mod, in which there are - among others - Teutonic knights. Due to the fact that I am from Germany I could name all the troop types in original language, e.g. "Ordensneuling" "Ritter" "Großmeister" "Fußsoldat" "Großschwertkämpfer" "Axtkämpfer" and so on. Wouldn't be fun for you to memorize that, so I decided to use more common names in English language. And so there is no other possibility for me than naming the troops in my mod "Templar Knight", "Teutonic Knight", "Hospitaller Knight" and "Knight of St. John". You can do what you want, they're all knights, and their only difference is their chapter.  :wink:

Joker86 said:
Well, if it is the same thing it makes sense to name it the same way. If there are synonyms, you're lucky, but if not - you can't change it. I would prefer faction adjectives instead of some weird or foreign names, e.g. Kataphraktos, Keshik or Einherjar. I never ever heard of these names, and I'm pretty sure most other players also didn't. I'm already proud of having ever heard of Varangian Guards, who were viking mercenaries for the Byzantinian Empire. That's what I read at least. Would make sense.  :mrgreen:

Would be much easier if there were simple "Vaegir Knights", and everybody, who plays the game the first time, can imagine what's hiding behind this upgrade button.

And I have to admit that I still don't know where the differences are between Arban, Keshik, Lesser Khan, Mangudai and whatever. Yes, okay, I hate Khergits (even more than Nords), and I never ever recruit any troops of them, but after fighting them in now over five newly started NE games, I still don't know where the differences are. More or less they're all guys on horses always running away from me and trying to shoot me, but I couldn't tell which one would be the more offensive, the more defensive, the faster or the slower one. I would have to talk to each troop type to look at its stats, and I would have to look at the model to estimate weaponry and armory, and, worst of all, I would have to keep that in mind by simple learning it by heart.

Currently I am playing around with module system a bit, and I want to make my first mod, in which there are - among others - Teutonic knights. Due to the fact that I am from Germany I could name all the troop types in original language, e.g. "Ordensneuling" "Ritter" "Großmeister" "Fußsoldat" "Großschwertkämpfer" "Axtkämpfer" and so on. Wouldn't be fun for you to memorize that, so I decided to use more common names in English language. And so there is no other possibility for me than naming the troops in my mod "Templar Knight", "Teutonic Knight", "Hospitaller Knight" and "Knight of St. John". You can do what you want, they're all knights, and their only difference is their chapter.  :wink:

I would love to learn that. More important I would love to learn it the hard way. I am currently playing the Roots of Yggdrasil mod. 10 factions all in their orginal Old Norse/Anglo-Saxon/Norman/Old Slavic names. It's a blast not knowing what you're up against until you learn them by unit names. You think fighting every enemy you should automatically know what kind of troops they have and what kind of weapons they wield or how skilled they are? As far as faction names. Why would they call their troops Swadian Knights? I mean if I was talking about my own troops I would just call them Knights not Swadian Knights.

Not every faction used the same language and military structure as such they should be different. The easiest way to learn is to just use that factions troops for some time. Learn to adapt to their strengths and weaknesses and you know how to win with them and you know what tactics then to use to beat them. You also then master and memorize their troop tree. The best way to understand the differences in Arbans, Keshiks, Lesser Khans, and the Mangudai is to USE them.

I don't have the patience to translate Nordic names into Old Norse, Rhodok names into Italian, Vaegir names into Russian, or Khergit names into Turkish. I only speak English fluently, and partial German, French, and Chinese. Of those three languages, the only one I'm adept at is French.

maybe a complexe tree for the bandits with real hard bandit troops with heavy plate and some lords and maybe a castel (rebel faction)

Yeah, why not? Some kind of "robber barons", at last that's what dict.cc told me for the German word "Raubritter": bacisally criminal knights of noble birth. They existed, and there were times where a great percentage of the whole knighthood could have been counted more or less as robber baron.

in this time we call those robbers "Politicians"lol  :mrgreen:

lol some kind of high rank bandits
and when we enter in some place sometimes we are stopped for some bandits try to change them to some kind of high skilled assassins or ninjas lol, because normal bandits are easy

Anything that evens out the massive disparities between the very large Swadian, Rhodok, and Vaegirian trees, and add ssome to the very small by comparison Nord and Khergit trees.

the bandit trees are huge, but we don't see any but the very highest of tiers.

The merc trees are huge too, but again, the randoms only seem to be the highest tiers? Surely not every merc is that well skilled...

Same for the peasant line, but there's a viable excuse for them to only be seen out and about in their higher forms, i.e. caravan guards, etc.

tonecas said:
maybe a complexe tree for the bandits with real hard bandit troops with heavy plate and some lords and maybe a castel (rebel faction)
That's a good idea. There actually were whole bandit clans, each had a castle or at least some keep.

The Mercenary said:
I don't have the patience to translate Nordic names into Old Norse, Rhodok names into Italian, Vaegir names into Russian, or Khergit names into Turkish. I only speak English fluently, and partial German, French, and Chinese. Of those three languages, the only one I'm adept at is French.
I do understand, but I would be great ! May be could you translate a faction in the next release, another in the next, etc... ? I feel Rhodok more Greek than Italian (democracy, etc...), and Holy Swadian Empire should be multilingual empire : infantry with German names, archery with English ones and cavalry with French ones.

Bandit and Mercenary parties should be larger.
I was wondering why player can't hire an entire Mercenary War Band when he/she meet one on the battlefield ? (sould be in suggestion's topic)

I agree with that. I played one mod (I think it was Eagle and the Radiant Cross or Lords & Realms) Where, if I encountered bandits with a much bigger army then theirs, I could offer them denars if they joined me as mercs. I would like to see this applied to this games bandits and mercs at the cost of honour and renown.

(This does in a sense have to do with suggestions for troops in the game, as this would make the bandits and merc war parties units easier to get into the players armies)

The Mercenary said:
If you don't have time, I could play with swadians and rhodocks, possibly vaegirs. I could supply russian names of vaegir troops in russian alphabet, but that's not what you'd want, is it :wink:

SanDiego said:
The Mercenary said:
If you don't have time, I could play with swadians and rhodocks, possibly vaegirs. I could supply russian names of vaegir troops in russian alphabet, but that's not what you'd want, is it :wink:

Russian names would be great, but I'd be willing to bet I'm one of the only ones who'd be able to read them if they were actually in cyrillic. Just transliterate them into English.

webspinnre said:
SanDiego said:
The Mercenary said:

Russian names would be great, but I'd be willing to bet I'm one of the only ones who'd be able to read them if they were actually in cyrillic. Just transliterate them into English.

Well, my reading skills in Russian are rather limited since I was only 6 when I left, but I can do it.

Vaegirs (WIP):
ZEMLEDELCI:

- Fechtovalchik - gorec
                                            - latnik - vachta
                                                                                 - fachta varangianska - varangiansky Berserk (sorry, no short way of saying berserker in russian)
                             - starik
                                                                                 - Praetorian - Praetorian Knight - Praetorian Commander
                                            - polzunok - Druzzhinik
                                                                                 - Kataphraktus - Elite Kataphraktus
rekrut - voennoslužaščij
                             - strelok iz luka - luchnik - strelok
DVORJANINOVE:

boevoj predvoditel - predvoditel - velik predvoditel - podlyj Princ - Princ

SOBOR SLONOVAJE KOSTI:

slonovyj luchnik
slonovyj storoz
velik princ

Pronunciation note: all 'ch' written in italic are read as is 'J' in 'José'

OK, ideas, critics, improvements? Most of vaegir cavalry line is really impossible to translate into english, as  praetorians nor kataphrakoi are from russian region = no expression for them in russian.

SanDiego said:
Vaegirs (WIP):
ZEMLEDELCI:

- Fechtovalchik - gorec
                                            - latnik - vachta
                                                                                - fachta varangianska - varangiansky Berserk (sorry, no short way of saying berserker in russian)
                            - starik
                                                                                - Praetorian - Praetorian Knight - Praetorian Commander
                                            - polzunok - Druzzhinik
                                                                                - Kataphraktus - Elite Kataphraktus
rekrut - voennoslužaščij
                            - strelok iz luka - luchnik - strelok
DVORJANINOVE:

boevoj predvoditel - predvoditel - velik predvoditel - podlyj Princ - Princ

SOBOR SLONOVAJE KOSTI:

slonovyj luchnik
slonovyj storoz
velik princ

Pronunciation note: all 'ch' written in italic are read as is 'J' in 'José'

OK, ideas, critics, improvements? Most of vaegir cavalry line is really impossible to translate into english, as  praetorians nor kataphrakoi are from russian region = no expression for them in russian.
I think you gave many names in Czech or Slovak ?
I know Cyrillic and your transliterations don't seem right. "Ch" is read "Tch" in English, you were looking for "Kh" which is read as "J" in "José". All "J" should be "Ï" or "Y".
One unity should be name "Vityaz" (from Витязь) which means "Knight / Warrior".

Back
Top Bottom