tricorns shape a bit off?

Users who are viewing this thread

romansrule!

Veteran
is the 'low tricorn black' a more accurate hat for the uniform of the day,i don't know what it is but the other tricorns look more like sailors hats.. :neutral: not,sure something seems off about some of the hats. Perhaps too high on the head.

Maybe,i'm wrong,just wondering.. :mrgreen:

LeatherTricornHat.jpg

BlackVelvetHat49085.jpg

They were, obviously, worn pointy end foremost, which is the one part I'm not sure the game always gets right.  Somewhere along the line I think someone mistook hats worn in General Washington's style for true tricorns.  It's all just hats with brims, but Washington's hat (or Napoleon's) is a different style of folding the brim, it's actually a bicorn IIRC but I'm not 100% on that, I just know it is NOT a TRICORN.  Note the complete lack of a third, foremost point, which would make it a three-pointed hat (which is what the word "tricorn" actually means!)

GWA_01.jpg

Or here, with the tall officer's hat (bicorn?) that shows a flat front for easy decorating, standing next to an actual tricorn.

GWA_02.jpg

The difference, as the word suggests, is the number of corners the hat is folded to have.  If it has two, and a large flat front, then it's that officer's bicorn hat, if it has three corners, then it is a three-corner, or tricorn hat.  If it does not have three corners it is, obviously, not a tricorn, even if it's a period hat.

The problem is most of the things called Tricorn actually look like bicornes.

BTW we totally need to steal the hat like the guy I have in my avvy, from the Blood and Steel mod.  (or, you know, get permission, but it'd be a good addition)

This is a Bicorne
Bicorn%20side.jpg

Bicorn%20front.jpg

bicorne002jo0.jpg
2ebh6xl.gif
ts

A Bicorne is not like a tricorn. The Bicorne can be worn from front to back or left to right. These two  first are versions of the Napoleonic era. The Others were all used in the late 1700s. Most Bicornes were used left to right instead of front to back during this period. The last one is a Tricorn used by Viscount Admiral Horatio Nelson in the late 1700s.

The Tricorn had many different versions around this era. The first picture being the one mostly used for British Infantry/French. The second is a French/American version.

This is a Tricorn
BlackVelvetHat49085.jpg

frnc1021.gif
Infantry_Tricorne_1775_by_GeneralVyse.jpg

In my opinion the tricorns should look more like these one's. As i said there are many versions during this era.
This  last one is very interesting as it was used by british Infantry in the very late 1700s. This was one which was used in the change between the late 1700s going into the 1800s.

I hope this was of great help.

General K said:
This is a Tricorn
BlackVelvetHat49085.jpg

frnc1021.gif
In my opinion the tricorns should look more like these one's. As i said there are many versions during this era.
This  last one is very interesting as it was used by british Infantry in the very late 1700s. This was one which was used in the change between the late 1700s going into the 1800s.
aaahhhh..yess..yess...pomtang already make tricorn model with cockade like the picture above, but that for 1776 american revolution mod  :eek: :wink:
openbrf2011053018241575.jpg
openbrf2011053018244914.jpg
arcw.jpg

Alan De Soison said:
General K said:
This is a Tricorn
BlackVelvetHat49085.jpg

frnc1021.gif
aaahhhh..yess..yess...pomtang already make tricorn model with cockade like the picture above, but that for 1776 american revolution mod  :eek: :wink:
openbrf2011053018241575.jpg
openbrf2011053018244914.jpg
arcw.jpg
ooh, you have to have that in old frontier!!!!:smile:

yes,the tricorn does need a bit of changing.

also,in regards to the transitional 1799-1800s hat,have you got anymore information on that as i am also,rather (how sad) interested in it.

romansrule! said:
yes,the tricorn does need a bit of changing.

also,in regards to the transitional 1799-1800s hat,have you got anymore information on that as i am also,rather (how sad) interested in it.

Don't be sad. Hats are the nectar of life. Embrace it.

Back
Top Bottom