Tournaments?

Users who are viewing this thread

In Warband, all members of tournaments figth with same clothes or swords. But in Bannerlord, all lords or soldiers use their own equipment. I think this is so hard. What do you think about this?

I personally say yes and no. Would be cool to have an option for everyone to use their own armour but we NEED a mode where everyone has the same or at least similiar stats, to make it fair, especially the end side of the tournament.

I think it's great. I just wonder if the cloth wearing enemies eventually get armor as we level higher. I would imagine that would be best.

I hate it. Removes the whole idea of skill from the tournament. All the NPC fights end up coming down to armour really since the tournament swords can't do more than 2 damage to the heavier armours. Players can still win by aiming for the head.

Either way it feels unfair and cheap that the enemies can take 3 times the number of body shots you can take. I imagine once you get top tier armour yourself it'll be the same but reverse, making them too easy.

Edit: Almost missed an important note too.
It means that the really bad NPCs you constantly get matched up with end up wearing cloth armour and die in 2 seconds. Leaving you to fight the normally or fully armoured enemy team alone.

Armor really isn't overpowered though, quite the opposite in comparison to Warband. I'm playing on realistic and can regularly deal 20 dmg to decked out knights during tournaments. Spears are extremely powerful if you can get the jump, otherwise thrusting with a sword works just fine. Just try to put some distance between you and the enemy before striking as you are likely to just bounce off them otherwise.

Armor really isn't overpowered though, quite the opposite in comparison to Warband. I'm playing on realistic and can regularly deal 20 dmg to decked out knights during tournaments. Spears are extremely powerful if you can get the jump, otherwise thrusting with a sword works just fine. Just try to put some distance between you and the enemy before striking as you are likely to just bounce off them otherwise.
Maybe you know some magical secret techniques that I don't but it seems almost impossible to "put some distance" between myself and the enemy. Skills advance incredibly slowly in this game and I didn't put every point available into athletics at the character creation stage. So trying to run away really doesn't do anything since enemies can run just as fast or faster. Especially back-peddling, which seems to have an extra speed reduction. Trying to turn around and run is just an invite for a jab in the back though.

When you say you manage 20 damage consistantly, is that to the head? Because I did mention that was the only way to stand a chance. Typically a body shot will do 2 damage and a head shot will do 20 or so to fully decked out knights. Having to aim only for headshots is bad though. Especially when the enemy are capable of destroying you in 3 body shots (or 1 head shot if they do an overhead).

Spears and jumping? I don't really want to have to use some weird play-style that makes my guy look retarded, jumping around with a spear and trying to jab people in the head mid-air. It'd be a very quick way to ruin my immersion.

For spears I really wish that type of attack staggered and pushed back people when successful- that is the point of fighting with a spear is keeping distance...

Maybe you know some magical secret techniques that I don't but it seems almost impossible to "put some distance" between myself and the enemy. Skills advance incredibly slowly in this game and I didn't put every point available into athletics at the character creation stage. So trying to run away really doesn't do anything since enemies can run just as fast or faster. Especially back-peddling, which seems to have an extra speed reduction. Trying to turn around and run is just an invite for a jab in the back though.

When you say you manage 20 damage consistantly, is that to the head? Because I did mention that was the only way to stand a chance. Typically a body shot will do 2 damage and a head shot will do 20 or so to fully decked out knights. Having to aim only for headshots is bad though. Especially when the enemy are capable of destroying you in 3 body shots (or 1 head shot if they do an overhead).

Spears and jumping? I don't really want to have to use some weird play-style that makes my guy look retarded, jumping around with a spear and trying to jab people in the head mid-air. It'd be a very quick way to ruin my immersion.
The enemies don't exactly step back and let you catch your breath (unlike Warband) but it certainly isn't impossible to create some distance if you time it correctly. Try to utilize shield bashing as well if you're using a shield since it knocks the enemy backwards leaving them exposed.

Striking to the body of max tier cavalry with the sword thrust attack in tournaments regularly does 20 damage (my one handed is something like 30-40) for me. Running up against the enemy and attack indeed does not deal a lot of damage, which is why you need keep up to the enemies' pace and manage the distance. Running at an enemy and thrusting deals a lot more damage than backpeddaling while the enemy chases after.

I meant "get the jump" figuratively, as in if you can get the first hit or catch enemies off guard. I feel that spears are overall a lot better than Warband since you can't just perma block + piercing damage seems to be buffed. In Warband enemies were just invincible if they had good armor unless you had a mace, in Bannerlord it seems that armor is less effective overall.

The enemies don't exactly step back and let you catch your breath (unlike Warband) but it certainly isn't impossible to create some distance if you time it correctly. Try to utilize shield bashing as well if you're using a shield since it knocks the enemy backwards leaving them exposed.

Striking to the body of max tier cavalry with the sword thrust attack in tournaments regularly does 20 damage (my one handed is something like 30-40) for me. Running up against the enemy and attack indeed does not deal a lot of damage, which is why you need keep up to the enemies' pace and manage the distance. Running at an enemy and thrusting deals a lot more damage than backpeddaling while the enemy chases after.

I meant "get the jump" figuratively, as in if you can get the first hit or catch enemies off guard. I feel that spears are overall a lot better than Warband since you can't just perma block + piercing damage seems to be buffed. In Warband enemies were just invincible if they had good armor unless you had a mace, in Bannerlord it seems that armor is less effective overall.
So two things. First of all, is shield bashing in the tutorial? I had no idea that even existed...
Secondly, I have no idea how you have success with running stabs. I mean, first you'd have to make enough distance to get a stab off while moving forward. Secondly, the enemy would have to not block, which in my experience is very rare, especially if they have a shield.

Piercing damage is the only reliable damage in bannerlord to be honest. Ranged weapons feel super overpowered at the moment.

Well another thing that's bothering me is the arena size and how enemies spawn. you have to run most of the time over the whole arena and then somebody spawns behind you and get's you off guard.

So two things. First of all, is shield bashing in the tutorial? I had no idea that even existed...
Secondly, I have no idea how you have success with running stabs. I mean, first you'd have to make enough distance to get a stab off while moving forward. Secondly, the enemy would have to not block, which in my experience is very rare, especially if they have a shield.

Piercing damage is the only reliable damage in bannerlord to be honest. Ranged weapons feel super overpowered at the moment.
I don't know since I skipped most of it, but it replaces kicking with certain shields (and is actually useful in comparison :smile:). Yes, it's kinda tricky to pull off. I'm not saying that it's easy to fight armored knights and I have certainly gotten knocked a few times, but if you just keep at them there are usually openings you can use. Turning the camera/character with the swing will usually result in a higher speed bonus -> higher damage as well. You can side pedal the enemies as well which sometimes causes them to lower their shield in order to turn and face you.

Indeed, I would say that piercing damage is a bit too powerful atm. Especially since bows typically deal piercing damage now rather than cutting. With that said I love how spears and lances work and how even knights can be taken out in a few hits with spears.

OT: yes, maybe, I mean it already happens when fighting in practice battles in the arena

i was sure it was a bug i even reported it
in one of the latest devblogs they showed how sophisticatedly the AI can fight
so what's the point of this armour differenece i don't get it at all

I am fine with it. It actually makes a lot of sense that the wealthier members of society would bring their armor to the tournaments as it reduces the risk of them being injured and improves their odds. It is another way for them to flaunt their superiority over the common folk.

Fights don't take too long even against heavy armor and they are all pretty winnable. The player will pretty much always be more skilled than the AI so all the AI really has are the mechanical advantages of high stats and good armor, both of which the player can eventually achieve. At which point the player becomes by far the greatest warrior in the world and can beat any NPC 1v1 without much issue.

Also its quite fun to prioritize your opponents. In a 4 Team Setup, team up on the armored Nobles (and overpowerd Units :grin:) the first two who die, are out of the tourney.

Back
Top Bottom