Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No chance, it's plain rubberish!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

jonne_b

Recruit
Hey you all. I just wanted to announce a new mod I am working on, maybe get some feedback. A tournament mod might sound silly, but don't let it fool you it's going to be huge.
Currently I am planning (and have already completed some) to include following:

- A dynamic tournament system
of different types and locations in different cities

- 350+ arena fighters
(no regulars, veterans, champions etc all are pre-made, named, customized fighters with customized gear and skills) some are all-in-all who participate in tourneys here and there. Some will be regulars in specific tournaments. There will be champions for different tournament types and these champions are dynamic, i.e a unknown fighter who manages to win the not-so-prestigeful tihr sword-duel tournament a few times, might become the new champion.
He then gets temporarily improved skills (to more easily maintain his champion status) while the old champion reverts to his old state. Poor fighters who manage to improve by winning in the low lvl tournaments may move on to more prestigeful tournaments in other cities.

- so far a total of 19 diffrent tournaments
based in 8 cities.
The tournament types are following:
lance & horse (the most prestigeful)
sword duel
chose-your-own-gear duel
bow & horse duel
some special 2vs2 and 3vs3 point-based tournaments

- The ability to compete
in a tournament is depending on your current renown (basicly how famous you are) fame will add or deduct depending on how well you do in a tournament.
The 2 most prestigeful tournaments requires that you are at least a knight in either army and the 1 most prestigeful tournament requires that you pay a sum of 20 000 denars to either of the kings for a lord-and-land title (yes you will get your own piece of land, a house with a chest where you can store items, not much but figured it would make it feel a bit more rewarding.)

-Every tournament
will have its own leading-board with current tournament standings. Every tournament will have between 15+player - 63+player npc fighters who compete depending on a randomized factor and how many fighters fit in the current tournament conditions.

That's all for now, about 20% of all the things i mentioned so far are already completed.

I'll update this thread as soon as I have more news. I hope this sounds interesting and please reply with any comments or feedback as you like :smile:

Update 29/01/2006 23:43 gmt:

The tournaments will be random. Which types of tournaments and where and when will be based on random triggers. And which he can enter will also be calculated by a players fame and status in the world.

Some tournaments however will be held on certain days. Like the Zendar open-for-public tournament which will be held each 7th day. The largest tournaments will be held each 21th day.

23:52 gmt:

The first time you enter the Zendar tournament it will be a static (non dynamic) first-time tournament so you don't have to wait for a certain day if you're using a save-game from the unmoded game. After that the Zendar tourmanent guy will always tell you when the next tournament will be held. There will also be a tournament board in each town where you can see what the upcoming tournaments are and where they will be held.

01:40 gmt

Added: Different heroes can be found in various location, if you're lucky, known enough and skilled enough they might just join your party.
Build up your team of fighters, fire old ones and get new better fighters on your team if possible.
Enter team tournaments together with your team and compete against other teams in fierce 2vs2, 4vs4 or even 6vs6 combat.

Also 1vs1 team tournaments with simulated battles between your team mates and the other teams fighters to see just how good in combat they really are. The team with the last fighter standing will take the win, but who knows, if you're good enough the rest of your team might not even have to fight :smile:

Non-linear story added

The first zendar tournament will as stated, be static. When you manage to win it, you will get a tip through the tavernkeeper about a underground tournament to be held in Tihr. A tournament which will be fought using your own gear (which is considered highly prestigeful considering lethal weapons can inflict lethal wounds :p). If you win, you'll open the doors to compete in the official tournaments which are, like I said before all random and dynamic. So you're back to sandbox-mode again and can do whatever you want. Be it improve your party fighting of bandits and such or join the army and fend of your enemies. However your lust for fame and honor lies in the tournaments, when you are starting to reach your destination, the grand tournament in (undecided city, reaching this point will also take a very long time since there is a lot to do and alot of sites and opportunities).. ANYWAY, winning the grand tournament in blablabla-town will finally open up THE grand ADVENTURE into foreign lands. To compete in a 4-event tournament, crowning the WORLD champion in: justing, sword dueling, archery and SURVIVOR MODE against a horde of arena veterans and champions. Which will keep coming one after one until you're down, there after whether you win or not is depending on how many rounds the other competitors made it through.

The journey to the foreign lands is not an easy one however, and it will contain strong story elements and alot of fighting and adventuring to reach your destination. The story it self will be up to you to find out as soon as I've gotten that far and released the final mod, as I do not want to ruin it for you by telling you everything in advance :wink:

Hell yeah! That sounds absolutely awesome. I spend most of my time in the Arena(Expanded Version) anyway. You're my hero, man!

-Grocat the Awed

Sounds quite cool. Feel free to incorporate any or all of my Arena Expansion mod (well, as soon as I get those couple of issues ironed out). Heck, I might have to pass the torch on. :grin:

Janus said:
Sounds quite cool. Feel free to incorporate any or all of my Arena Expansion mod (well, as soon as I get those couple of issues ironed out). Heck, I might have to pass the torch on. :grin:

your arena mod is well good man :smile:
I don't think people would stop playing it when i release my mod, it's a bit different and they will both be rewarding in different ways :smile:

But if i should need anything, maybe I could ask you for a little bit of help?
And I'd do the same for you if you're going to continue your mod or start fresh with something new.

Thanks. Sure, I'll help as much as I can.

The thing is, once I get the bugfixes done, the Arena Expansion mod won't be developed further unless I get a strong urge to work on it again at some point; I'm a bit tired of it for the time being. I honestly don't know that I'll ever work further on it.
I've included it's source with it so that other mods can incorporate it and most of the big ones have done so; I just thought it would be rather fitting to have it included in this one as well. Up to you though. :wink:

Janus said:
Thanks. Sure, I'll help as much as I can.

The thing is, once I get the bugfixes done, the Arena Expansion mod won't be developed further unless I get a strong urge to work on it again at some point; I'm a bit tired of it for the time being. I honestly don't know that I'll ever work further on it.
I've included it's source with it so that other mods can incorporate it and most of the big ones have done so; I just thought it would be rather fitting to have it included in this one as well. Up to you though. :wink:

Alright, and I must admit it would be great to have your arena mod merged with my mod so that players can play stand-alone arena fights too. And if I include it I'll make sure to put you in credits also :smile:

Januses arena mod, with ranking and some more one nobility fights and lots of customisble NPC's, would be, quite frankly, Bolldy awsum, so I hope this works, do you have a expected time fo release.

thesneakster said:
Januses arena mod, with ranking and some more one nobility fights and lots of customisble NPC's, would be, quite frankly, Bolldy awsum, so I hope this works, do you have a expected time fo release.

Im really not sure when i will make the first release, maybe in a week or two.. possibly three.. I got alot of tests at school next week so won't be able to work much on the mod until next weekend :razz:

Hmmm... I am looking forward to try this out...

Does my house has a pratice dummy so I can test my new sword or jousting pratice? Or a sparring partner? If not, this is a suggestion.

jonne_b, sounds great. Good luck.

Take a look at this, it might give you some extra ideas:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/viewtopic.php?t=7277&highlight=fair

No massive melee? I'm not sure if it would be historically true, but thats one of the most appealing factors of the arena modifications, 2v2 and 3v3 gets boring rather quickly.

sheek said:
jonne_b, sounds great. Good luck.

Take a look at this, it might give you some extra ideas:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/viewtopic.php?t=7277&highlight=fair

alright I will

Sahran said:
No massive melee? I'm not sure if it would be historically true, but thats one of the most appealing factors of the arena modifications, 2v2 and 3v3 gets boring rather quickly.

I am planning to include som special "Rumble free-for-all" special events, but not quite sure how exactly what rules those events will go by just yet. So just wait and see I guess :grin:

One suggestion I would make is that tourneys be held at certain intervals. If you could enter tournaments repeatedly you'd hit the top in not time. What might be cool is to add another text option to the tavern keeper. Something like:

Ask about events

The keeper would say something like :

The next event intown will be in 3 days. Blackthorne is the current champ, he excels in jousting.

Maybe he'd have info for the next event in the closest town as well...

jik said:
One suggestion I would make is that tourneys be held at certain intervals. If you could enter tournaments repeatedly you'd hit the top in not time. What might be cool is to add another text option to the tavern keeper. Something like:
Definitely a good idea. I have always wanted to have that conversation button actually do something, and was very enthused when one of the mods (sorry, forgot which) said that they would be using it, even if only for gossip.

jik said:

Ask about events

The keeper would say something like :

The next event intown will be in 3 days. Blackthorne is the current champ, he excels in jousting.

Maybe he'd have info for the next event in the closest town as well...

it will be something like that. As I said, tournaments will be dynamic. Certain conditions must be forfilled, mostly trigger based on a random factor, and based on a players fame and status which tournaments he can enter.

When I was entertaining thoughts of a Stephen and Matilda mod (England's civil war of the twelfth century) I was considering a tournament circuit like you propose. The anarchy of Stephens reign saw a marked increase in the number of tournaments held. Kings tended to dislike their able warriors accidentally dying.

A quick note on historical tourneys, for those interested.

The oldest tourneys were huge melees in which people divided into two sides, and tried to knock each other out so that they could make money selling their armour back to their opponent. These combats usually took place in an open field.

The fourteenth to sixteenth century is the era in which the more organised one-on-one jousting we think of today was most popular.

Anyway: Cool idea. Best of luck with it!

Back
Top Bottom