Suggestion Resource Browser Tool looks great, but I am also disappointed

Users who are viewing this thread

SaucyBagel

Recruit
Hello people of Taleworlds, first off, Congratulations on getting the tools out, it's awesome that modding tools have finally been released, excited to see all the new mods that will likely be coming out in the next while!

However, personally, I am very disappointed that I am prevented from directly modifying native models/materials/textures in the Resources Editor, due to them being in "protected" packages or something along those lines, back in Warband we were able to do this, granted, those were 3rd party tools I think.

This is disappointing, depressing, and frustrating, as I have been eagerly awaiting the modding tools in order to be able to make simple modifications, such as changing the projectile models to a red color for visibility purposes and possibly making the models slightly bigger as well, or possibly making a tracer/projectile trail that can be put on all projectiles (I like watching my archers projectiles hit the enemy, it's satisfying).
However, I seemingly have to jump through hoops, making separate modules, messing with folder hierarchy, and a lot of other stuff that is far too complicated and out of the skill level for gamers such as I to make even simple modifications, the interface and everything like that in the program itself is very nice and easy to understand, but that does not mean much if you cannot modify anything without going out of it in order to fiddle with folders and files.

I can to an extent understand why Native items are not allowed to be edited, as they will likely be reverted every update, but for a someone such as me who would only modify very simple things, as in, swapping textures around, it would be simple to re-mod the reverted item, I also understand that it's possible that changing the Native items would also mess with multiplayer as well, however for me and possibly many others that doesn't matter much, I know I don't play multiplayer anyway.

So my suggestion is to please make native modules editable, I am not sure if this will get to anyone, however I hope that it can get to someone that can possibly add some kind of option to possibly disable multiplayer when the native module is edited or something like that to make it work, somehow.

As an example of what I tried to do and why it is so frustrating, I opened up the Resources Viewer, searched for "flying", found "flying_bolt" and "flying_arrow", saw that they are both tied to a projectile material named "flying_arrow", which I could easily change the texture of to a plain red one which would work just fine for me, however, when trying to save it says "Unable to save material: Package is protected. Protected items cannot be modified." which is why I am so disappointed, if I could only save that material, that's basically everything that I've ever wanted with the modding tools, lol.
I've also tried to import a texture over "arrow_bl_flying" but I couldn't get it to work at all, likely have to have a module or... something.

Anyway, that's my take on it, the tool looks awesome, very powerful and simple to use, but it's a shame people like me who aren't very experienced with or good at doing in-depth modding cannot use it to do anything, makes me very disappointed, Please consider making the native items editable.
I also apologize for any poor formatting or rambling, I am not a very good writer.

Every change needs to be in his own module. This is done so that we can track the changes of every module properly and apply them in right order for multiple modules. The reason for the native assets being locked is to make you put your changes in your own module. This does not diminish the chance of editing those. Proper way of doing it is to create a duplicate of that resource in your own module which will override the one in the native. For example, you can create the same armor material in your own module and change any value you like, It will be applied to the whole game for that armor. If another module is loaded after yours and changes the same material, his changes will be used instead of yours. We may do some UX improvements like "Duplicate To Another Module" to make this operation easier in the future. You can find more details about asset overriding at the link: http://docs.modding.bannerlord.com/asset-management/asset-types/overriding_assets/. Thanks for your feedback.

Every change needs to be in his own module. This is done so that we can track the changes of every module properly and apply them in right order for multiple modules. The reason for the native assets being locked is to make you put your changes in your own module. This does not diminish the chance of editing those. Proper way of doing it is to create a duplicate of that resource in your own module which will override the one in the native. For example, you can create the same armor material in your own module and change any value you like, It will be applied to the whole game for that armor. If another module is loaded after yours and changes the same material, his changes will be used instead of yours. We may do some UX improvements like "Duplicate To Another Module" to make this operation easier in the future. You can find more details about asset overriding at the link: http://docs.modding.bannerlord.com/asset-management/asset-types/overriding_assets/. Thanks for your feedback.
Excellent answer. You guys are doing such a great job. I'm really impressed, and this is a beta version, haha. I love the game (played over 1,100hrs), and this has me so excited. The documentation, and support are already blowing me away. Finally a great game, from a creator that understands what a strong modding scene can do for their success and the games popularity and longevity.

I really hope the audio is Changeable without much coding...
Gotta replace all death sounds with the "Lego Yoda" thing, lol.

You can make your own module, believe in yourself. (y)
Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe sometime in the near future I'll look more vigorously into it, lol :xf-smile:

Thanks for the response, it still would be ideal for simpletons such as I if we could edit Native files but it's understandable that it's not allowed, are there any plans for the future to allow such things perhaps? Maybe once the tools have been out for a while?
Would it maybe be possible to make a very simple "Modules for dummies" level 0 guide for people that have barely any idea what to do such as I?
For instance, I got no idea where I'd start, I don't know what to put in the "SubModule" xml file, how to structure my folders and whatnot, I actually did try to make a module, but it wouldn't be detected, and I got nowhere with it. :confused:
Maybe a little video series, showing how to make basic modules such as replacing models or textures like what I want to do, or how to put custom images on shields.

Excellent answer. You guys are doing such a great job. I'm really impressed, and this is a beta version, haha. I love the game (played over 1,100hrs), and this has me so excited. The documentation, and support are already blowing me away. Finally a great game, from a creator that understands what a strong modding scene can do for their success and the games popularity and longevity.
Yeah, I was so hyped for the game over the last several years, so awesome that it's finally out and that modding tools are here, even if they are a bit difficult to use without the proper know-how, the game has come really far as well.
The northern light harness has been glitched since release though, lol, that's one thing that I always check whenever there is a new update, not fixed yet, not that it matters too much, the devs have more important things to deal with.
Northern-Light-Harness.png

I actually managed to do it!
Kind of anyway.

It does not work as well as I was hoping.
I made a module, fiddled with some stuff, and managed to make the projectiles red, eventually figured out how to make them bright red all the time too.
But unfortunately it seemingly was for naught unless I can figure out a fix for something, the projectiles turn invisible after a flying a short distance, so they look pretty cool flying out but I cannot see them impact the enemy at all when they are too far away, I have even tried to make several LOD models, still happens with 7 models total.
This probably isn't the place to ask, but does anyone, maybe a dev, know what I can do to make it so the projectiles don't turn invisible after travelling too far?

I actually managed to do it!
Kind of anyway.

It does not work as well as I was hoping.
I made a module, fiddled with some stuff, and managed to make the projectiles red, eventually figured out how to make them bright red all the time too.
But unfortunately it seemingly was for naught unless I can figure out a fix for something, the projectiles turn invisible after a flying a short distance, so they look pretty cool flying out but I cannot see them impact the enemy at all when they are too far away, I have even tried to make several LOD models, still happens with 7 models total.
This probably isn't the place to ask, but does anyone, maybe a dev, know what I can do to make it so the projectiles don't turn invisible after travelling too far?
A. Check the flying mesh.
B. Make sure quick fade or something isn't one of the flags.
C. You will not be able to see arrows hit the enemy at far distance unless it has a glowing/fire effect.

A. Check the flying mesh.
B. Make sure quick fade or something isn't one of the flags.
C. You will not be able to see arrows hit the enemy at far distance unless it has a glowing/fire effect.
Couldn't see any quick fade, and I would be able to see them impact the enemy, probably from really far away, as the material I'm using actually glows and I've made a larger mesh for the projectiles, it's really easy to see it disappearing.
Here is a GIF
bolt-gif.gif

Quality ain't super good but you should be able to see the projectiles vanishing, despite what it may look like, they aren't disappearing due to the lower resolution of the gif.

You may enjoy this

Hotfix - 07/10/20
  • Fixed a crash when picking up a dropped weapon.

Modding Tool Fixes
  • Crash from the "Start Mission" button is fixed. It opens a mounted agent mission.
  • Added a new tool to create a new module within the modding tools. It will populate the module with empty registered files for ease of modding.
  • Modding tools terrain operations crash fixes.
  • Added new checks and better error reporting for mismatched, not located DLL's from mods, both for the base game and the modding tools.
  • Easier overriding for materials and animation clips added to the right-click menu to the assets in Resource Browser. "Create Override" creates an override for those assets in the selected new module. You do not need to create an empty resource with the same name and change the properties to be same with the overridden resource.

Back
Top Bottom