Too many deserters/bandits

Users who are viewing this thread

Smissen

Knight at Arms
As the titles say,too f*cking many deserters/bandits. I
can't play the game without getting raped by bandits every
for god sake minute. From that small village Bøven or something
to Smolensk for a quest I've be raped by cavalry bandits almost every
step I take. Isn't there a cheat or patch for less bandits?

Smissen

I wish, but most modders don't give a damn about this game, so don't expect anything besides the good old CRTL+T and CRTL+F4

Or, if you don't like cheats. Good luck when you break your keyboard in half.

Honestly never had an issue with bandits/deserters. Avoid areas with mounted bandits, until you have a decent sized army that is (30 troops does it for me). After that they avoid you like the plague.

Anyhow I thought this game cant be modded until they release the module information? Speaking of module information did the latest patch tweak anything noteworthy? If your lucky perhaps one of those "bug fixes" reduces the bandit spawn rate.

In Warband, You kill deserters or bandits, like 10, then you kill the hideout and then you kill the remaining ones, then its the end of that area for them

For me, it's not the numbers of Deserter bands that are running around my first day, it's the size of those Deserter bands that makes it much more difficult to make it thru the first days..  Having to sneak my way around 4-5 bands, each with 30 deserters (and if I'm still alone, a band of 10 marksmen is a tough fight), makes the early game too difficult until I can get a comparable force put together (a week maybe?)

After that, you're now in the mid game which lasts until you've gained the experience to start tangling with Lords (months or a year is best to raise your stats/money properly).  I'd prefer a longer beginning game, than 1 game week.

Desideratus said:
I wish, but most modders don't give a damn about this game, so don't expect anything besides the good old CRTL+T and CRTL+F4

Or, if you don't like cheats. Good luck when you break your keyboard in half.

The module system isn't out yet. How can we give a "damn" without the module system?

Usually you can outrun those deserter and bandit groups if you are smaller than them. If you can't, find an NPC named Fedot, or have an NPC train up the skill in Pathfinding. It makes you move faster on the map.

Higher morale also makes your army move faster. Buy a nice variety of food.

Leadership skill increases party morale as well.

And you can add horses to your inventory,
this way cargo in your inventory won´t have such a big effect on your movement speed
also you have to be aware that the mounted bandits (i.e tatar raiders) which have the highest movement speed of al bandit groups only roam the south eastern parts of the map ...
keep your stay in these regions short, if you want to avoid them

As others said,
bandits aren´t such a big problem...
in the beginning you have to outrun them,
which usualy isn´t a probem if your party size is small and you have enough horses (and path finding)
and later, when your party size is big enough, the bandits run from you

:grin:

Assassin123 said:
But throughout the game, the Deserters become like over 90 troops

Then they would be slow and cannot chase you.

I would like for deserters in my game to reach that high, so that I can farm them for renown.

What a nonsense!

This is so easily countered by getting 40-50 men.

This mechanic where they ALWAYS flee from you if you have 50 men is discuss-able, because after that you are always totally free to trade if you have neutral alliance with everyone.
You just click a city, press ctrl-space and you don't need to worry about anything...
So there should be different regions like rpg's.

Initially it is quit hard to flee from all bandits but it's not that hard and thereafter you don't have to worry about them (if you don't make mistakes to drop below 40-50 men)

So get a quest where you have to collect taxes for someone.
Don't give the tax money back but buy a lot of men instead.
Done.

This is a problem, and the way it's done right now is pretty silly.

Bandits should be fodder for the player when they are new, and deserters when they are a little more developed.

I've run into bands of Janissaries and Winged Hussars which feels a little silly to me.  I'm thinking about toning down the maximum quality of deserters amongst other things. 

Assassin123 said:
But throughout the game, the Deserters become like over 90 troops

Yeah they do.  I had a little slow spell in my current game which is around day 250 or so.  So i decided to do a couple trade runs to help pay for upgrading my companions armor and such and i got hit by 2 deserter armies that were around 120 troops each and then one that was 135.  I had 7 companions in my army (all mounted) and another 65-70 calvery units.  It was an easy fight but kind of annoying when you get hit by 3 decent size armies on a single trade run that far into the game. 

I agree with the original poster in that there are alot of deserters and bandits especially when you first start out.  To counter this i beefed up my pathfinding and while doing trade runs early on i would only have calvery in my army to help speed things along and i could generally outrun them even with a caravan.

really? i find myself looking for 100+ bandit and deserter bands to level my men up. it was a little tough (fun) at first but once you get around 50 or so swedish mercenaries and some decent npc's (medic/scout/trader etc...) do caravan runs then max out your troops. you will be bored in no time and ready to take on some professional armies. and for god sakes export your char if you start a new game, it makes it a little easier to start off with.

Bandits
I think bandits should be always small in number, and never scale to match the player. But they are a major threat to the economy by hurting villages, and maybe caravans.

They should be small enough to be able to chase villagers. Currently they are large enough that most of the time, the villagers can outrun them.
So bandits will always be just a nuisance to a high level player, but never a real threat. But they will always be the bane of villages and villagers, and maybe even caravans.

Once you have the dynamic economy going, this is something for the player to do, to defend villagers and caravans from bandits. Or you can leave it to the scouts to take care of them.

Deserters
I feel that they should always be large and should always be a threat to the player. It depends on how you want to balance them.

They can be large, but you can always reduce the number of deserter groups on the map. If they are that large, the player should be able to outrun them most of the time. If they just travel from A to B and don't watch where they're going, they rightfully should be ambushed.

Or they can be average, but there are more groups of them.

So bandits hurt villagers and caravans, deserters hurt the player.

Back
Top Bottom