Timed events, Game changes and the introduction of new things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerlord has faster years and children to take our place. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the world changed too, beyond where the borders were and what's going on with the economy?

There are two types of changes I'd like to see
A- Stuff that always happens
B-Stuff that characters instigate at a good opportunity, which might be contested by other characters

Scripts that have far reaching effects on the game.

Now, I don't think it should be exactly like my list here. This is an example that could certainly be improved and expanded on, or simplified. The important thing is that modders get to mess with things. but also, the increased capabilities of calradria could be a nice little bit of 'level scaling', especially good for our offspring with inherited wealth! At the very least, shifts of focus would increase the longevity of each playthrough.
1000 Spring- Game starts. There's noted discontent in the empire.
1000 Autumn- Empire begins it's civil war.
1001 spring- The lands east of calradria stabilise and an increase in trade comes from those regions, affecting the price of goods for three years before they go back to war. nobles spring to capitalise  on this.
1002 spring- The nords launch large scale raids on either Vlandia, Battania or Sturgia. Their choice is based on whoever was found the weakest and richest near the coast last year. 
1003 Autumn- A source of gold is found near zendar, everyone jumps at eachother's throats to put their goldmine there. 
1004 Winter- A surgeon writes an influential piece of work and many from this point on have increased starting stats 
1008 No nords raid this year.
1009- No Nords raid this year
1010 Summer a movement is born and peasants begin to revolt for the next few years. How heavy the revolts are depends on how well they're treated/repressed. 
1010 autumn-[b] A bridge is completed in Batania [/b]
1012-spring- New farming techniques are uncovered, lords can invest in a new upgrade for farms
1013 spring- Conflicts in Albion end and large numbers of out-of-work Albions and Nords travel to calradria as mercenariess. Mercenaries are cheaper until this surplus is expended. 
1013 winter- An army from the south of the Aserai moves in to conquer the area. At most they take a city before being beaten back.
1015 summer- An Iron statue dedicated to butter is erected in the town that is then renamed Praven.
1020 winter- Swords become more pointy, sturgians wear taller helmets
1023 Spring A number of new fortresses are built by lords at key places.
1032 spring- Vlandia has a bloodless coup and renames itself Swadia.
1040 Summer- Iron becomes easier to produce and The quality of armour goes up. soldiers get mail a teir earlier than they would have before, and top tier units start wearing armours undiscovered.
1041 winter- The great imperial library is burned down in an accident. The Factions race to create the next big library, the winner gets more money from visitors and the libraries recruit better engineers and tacticians..
1051 winter- Seige crossbows are invented and top-teir crossbow units become available.
1070 spring- Nord raids increase in intensity.
1073-75 spring -Nords begin invasion attempts.
1100 Armour and seige weapons get a buff
1110 Nords settled in Calradria become more Calradric, they battle off other nords (assumption; Nordland is not one country)
1112 Aserai adopt curved swords from the southern corsairs that have plagued them for so long.
1120 The Rhodoks as a politically and culturally distinct faction sets itself up to emerge from the swadians.

Here's one historically inspired example I like:
1345 Foreigners arrive with guns to select ports , lords can arrange trade deals to ports and begin construction of gunsmiths and powder makers.  Weapons can be bought and Gunpowder units and can be recruited, upgraded or converted in places with the resources. the Foreigners spread their trade to different ports when their initial contacts become less lucrative. Companions and mercenaries from the foreign nation become available in ports.

Seasonal or otherwise very regular changes: 
People start/stop wearing coats and cloaks.
Noble Ladies change fashions.
Children are born. Some noble children are born as progidies or instigators that rapidly change the land when they come of age, whilst some are very much a disaster waiting to happen should they be in line for kingship.
Some forests shrink as a town grows.
The quality of horses may go up due to breeders, though this is something that takes a long time to be noticeable.
When a faction is defeated a lot of related bandits appear.
Sea trade occurs during the better seasons for trading.

I guess the problem with this in the lategame is that you could potentially destroy all the conditions required for the events to fire. What would make this system more interesting is if there were a hidden event tree which could open different paths if a faction was destroyed, or a city was sacked, or if public order was fine everywhere.

None of these sound particularly hard to code, so I think it's definitely feasible to have a lot of them.

To add modifiers on cities and villages(cheaper mail by improved metalurgy, better harvest tech etc.)  may spread to other provinces by trade. Also i would like some lore, forgetten empire techniques, armors, better wall componrent etc. to be discovered. Calradian renessaince.

I like the idea and I like the subject of the seasons you comment on even more...Maybe taleworlds has prepared something similar for us with their "System event (backstory of grudges and feuds)" + Seasons system + Settlement issues + Dynamic Quests".

For everything else... I think we'll have to wait for Quintillius and his NOVA AETAS 2.  :iamamoron:

I appreciate the thought behind this suggestion, but as I often mention one of the things I like the most about Mount & Blade's campaign is having a different experience every time, and while I suppose that could coexist with timed events, these would at least partially ruin that: I'd know exactly that at X date Y thing will happen, even though AI might react diversely to that.  Perhaps I'd prefer these events to be randomized.

I like the seasonal ones though.

Please let me know if I misunderstood your suggestion or parts of it.

A better system would be to have the events fire when certain conditions are met, and then let those conditions be part of the game world as a whole. For example:

A peasant rebel movement forms.
Conditions: a faction has exhausted all its manpower and/or has bankrupt lords.

The vikinords invade.
Conditions: coast regions are undefended and passing traders see this.

Siege crossbows are invented.
Conditions: a faction has killed 1000 garrison soldiers with crossbowmen in autoresolve.

This way, even if you know these conditions exist, it doesn't feel like you have immersion-breaking meta-knowledge about the game (like in medieval 2 total war where you know the mongols are coming before genghis khan's great grandmother is even born)

Funny thing is, i was brainstorming a simple technology system just the other day based on the faster progression of time in Bannerlord.

Basically i was designing it for a medieval mod, the game would start on the early middle ages, every year the prosperity of a fief would be quantified from 1 to 10 (placeholder numbers) and at 10 it would add 1 point to a tech progression bar (+- modifiers to be decided like buildings, governor traits or kingdom edicts) that once it reached 100 points would unlock a more advanced tier for troops recruited there, after 3 tech increases (high, late and renascence for example) the next progression would unlock a new age replacing the troop tree entirely for a more modern one.

Theoretically this system could be added in forever, from the Napoleonic to the world wars and even space marines if someone wanted to work on assets for it.

Re stuff

A deal of randomization would not be wasted. I also feel varying the years for the start of major invasions would be a good way to screw with players.
Game in the background all like "welcome to spring 1061, TIME TO ROLL THE WHEEL OF FATE!!!!

Indeed, i would like to see some events launch from other events. However, more complicated systems are resources spent. I did have an idea where all the lords are secretly playing an rts with development trees and such, but that is way more effort than -thing happens when conditions are met-

Having a set timeline of events feels remarkably-un-m&b-esque. A peasant revolt should be able to start at any point where the peasants decide to revolt (when their taxes are high, half the population is levied...). Locking these big events to set timelines restrict them from happening at different times when they make sense, they devalue the player's input, feel artificial, and lower replayability.

Maybe having things like massive nord invasions or bad harvests happen randomly could work though.

Anyway didn't they say events will be dinamic? For example if Vlandia has one city only it would be more likely to get invaded from north while if after you reunited the empire and you annex Sturgia it will be harder that they will invade you from north unless they are suicidal.

Most of the things will be dynamic. The problem with preset and heavily story based quests is the fact that you cant 'write' your own story in the sandbox. I prefer dynamic things with multiple outcomes. Not so sure about set in stone events in the timeline, won't be much of a sandbox then.

Back
Top Bottom