Time Passing in Battles

Users who are viewing this thread

Stonewall382

Knight at Arms
Okay, so we all know that time doesn't pass while you're in a battle, so really, you could fight a battle that takes three hours real-time, and it would take no time in world-map time ingame.
Assuming we want to fix this, I have a question and a suggestion.

I was looking through the mission templates Python file, and I noticed that triggers are being used in battle mission templates.  And they're using time, rather than just "ti_before_mission_start."  So, how does the game calculate that time?  Is it basically the same way as with the world map (however that's done)?
Couldn't we just have a trigger running during the battle to check how much time has passed in the battle (say it fires every six time-units in battle), then add that amount to some variable ("$battle_time"), then, after the battle is over, have the player's party "rest" for that value (or that value divided by ten, or however it works out best) of time?  It's kind of kludgy, but it would do the job at first, right?  And we could work on perfecting it and making it less crappy, right?

The only problem with forced waiting is that you would be exposed to be attacked by another party without the chance to run. You could possibly be forced into an infinite loop of "battle ... forced wait ... battle ... forced wait ... battle, etc."

I also thought about that, and it really should be done.

HardCode said:
The only problem with forced waiting is that you would be exposed to be attacked by another party without the chance to run. You could possibly be forced into an infinite loop of "battle ... forced wait ... battle ... forced wait ... battle, etc."

true, but what if you made your party neutral, or maby made it so that all other partys were afraid of you...something along those lines.

Llew2 said:
I also thought about that, and it really should be done.
I agree, there is something to it. It may seem a little irritating at first, but it would be a step to enhance the tactics in M&B and maybe it could be done even without changing the players party status (to neutral, as Llew suggested): player would have to be very careful not engage in battles close to major hostile forces. It would make people invest into tactics and "reconaissance" (dont remeber what the name is) skills to be able to see other parties and to be able to disengage from the battle (thats what tactics does, right?).
Also moving through in enemy territory would have a very different feel than being in "friendly waters" (out there you never know whats in wait for you. Thats what a raid probably should be, a supriseful enterprise :smile:).
The obvious problem is probably how far the other parties can get while your busy killing innocents. But I have no idea if this battle/map time ratio can be somehow changed. (can it?) If it does, well, it is just matter of experiment what feels best.
So (altough it is just a noob's vote) I say: have a go at it. It might start something very interesting for lots of modders and players.
Mlok
P.S. on second thougt: there is probably a catch somewhere? How come nobody tried it before?

It would make people invest into tactics and "reconaissance" (dont remeber what the name is) skills to be able to see other parties and to be able to disengage from the battle (thats what tactics does, right?).

No, tactics controls the spawning of reinforcements.

To see other parties: spotting. To disengage/retreat, kill a soldier or get a soldier killed, or make sure you're the one starting the battle.

HardCode said:

This ain't a problem. It's only a good thing that you can be attacking 'during' fighting, and since you are 'fighting' at the time of forced rest, you are attacked while attacking/defending. Nothing bad, except that this kind of multi-fighting enlarges the chance of defeat.

Smokedfish said:
Another downside is regenerating health.

That 'is' a downside indeed. Nothing to do about it? no? to bad, it will harden it even more though.

Conclusion:

Its harder because if you keep getting attacked, there is a low chance of survival. This is however partly deleted, Because of the health regain. I suggest (if possible) that you make this into a non-changeable starting option.
Choose your gender, Choose your class, Choose if you want the difficulty a bit higher. (I have the feeling that it ain't posible though)

Servitor

Back
Top Bottom