Thinking of buying Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword

Users who are viewing this thread

Iarumas

Regular
Hi, I was thinking of buying this game adn after taking a look at some Let's Play and video reviews I am very, very tempted to do so. However before I do id like some of your opinions of how good this game is because to me it seems like something I really like; gather an army and do whatever the hell you want. However the thing that I like most, the guns, it seems is the thing that is most loathed since I saw it can kill in one shot (which is true enough in my opinion if your wearing just a cotton shirt). Ive never played Mount and Blade before and i'd like some experienced opinions.

I don't know what all the hate is about, I personally loved it. So you can't get married, boo hoo, I just wanna fight, not waste time chasing virtual tail. :smile: And I loved the addition of guns.

Plus, I'm a big fan of that point in history (what with the cossacks and all).

I'd recommend getting the demo for Warband and giving that a try first.  The two games are very similar in basic gameplay, so if you enjoy Warband and think you'd like it better with guns and an eastern-european flavor, you'll probably like WFaS.

Ive donwloaded the Warband trial and I like it, first time ever playing this game and I find it extremely challanging (probably because I set the damage to normal) and fun. So far ive been captured at least three times, ran around trying to get money somehow but no one offers me quests and the ones I do have are these:

Quest:Find bandits and kill them
Problem: Their like 15 men against my crappy 8

Quest: A village needs 5 cattle
Problem: I can only buy one....

Quest: Assassinate some guy hiding in a town
Problem: The town had been lotted and isnt going to recover soon....

Now im downloading the Fire and Steel trial and see how it compares.

o_O fire and steel?? Id say get warband, Much more people have that than WFaS and it has more mods that pretty much can give you a basic WFaS.

Regardless of the features that are not present (Marriage, Player Kingdom) WFaS has alot of new features and improvements on Warband, I actually prefer the campaign in WFaS in terms of fife ownership, tade and siege's.. There are lots of new options for buildings as well as appointing people in cities (such as Merchants, Priests etc.), trade has been expanded on quite alot the caravan system allows you to make a fair bit of money through trade. There are also alot of new battle options such as setting up a wagon fortress to defend against enemy attackers and a siege is actually playable in this game. For siege's you now have five options: Poison the water supply (this reduces the number of enemies in a castle/city I believe), Prepare ladders (Similar to warband with the exception that instead of your units marching up a single ladder into a meat grinder there are now between two and four ladders, making the siege more spread out), plant explosives and destroy the wall (creates a large breach which your men can easily get through in large numbers), Sneak into the town (Allows you and a proportion of your army to sneak into the city and attack from the inside trojan horse style) and of course you can wait it out though it's only worth doing if there's not many supplies for the defenders in the city.

I love the guns in this game, it is pretty harsh in terms of how much damage the guns do but they're fairly easy to avoid if your mounted and being able to take out some of the strongest enemy units in a couple of shots can be incredably useful!

there's also quite an active multiplayer community, WESTre's siege server often has over 100 player's at peak european times. I prefer the multiplayer in this game to warband.

It's not a very viable options, it comes up on cities (or maybe certain cities such as Moscow) and you and a certain amount of your men spawn inside the walls (bypassing the ladders/breach). I think you need a high Engineer skill to get it, it's only ever useful if there's under 100 men in the garrison otherwise they wipe the floor with you once your men get knocked out of the fight.

Back
Top Bottom