There's only one thing I ask the makers of this mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Please make armor and weapons costs much higher and party size much smaller. In released mod at the beginning I could afford a ~90 people company and one of the best armor available. I'd rather like to see a slow way from poor villager to a wealthy patrician (I know it sounds stupid, but I like it). Armor like lorica squamata or segmentata should be available after many (game) months.

Aquila SPQR said:
Armor like lorica squamata or segmentata should be available after many (game) months.
Why? This game's timeframe is 250 years before segmentata was first used by the Romans.

The mod is actually slightly before you can even be sure that chain was in widespread use in the Roman army, let alone segmentata.

That said, this question isn't really about that.  He's asking for ealabor to make it so that armors and such are more expensive.

Why? This game's timeframe is 250 years before segmentata was first used by the Romans.

If I recall correctly lorica squamata and lorica segmentata is available in released Hegemony mod and I actually own it. I know it's not historical, but actually I like it, because I love segmentata :wink:

Item price will be adjusted.

Thanks. I can't wait to finally play a new version of this mod - previews look awesome :wink:

Aquila SPQR said:

If I recall correctly lorica squamata and lorica segmentata is available in released Hegemony mod and I actually own it. I know it's not historical, but actually I like it, because I love segmentata :wink:

Segmentata wont be in the newer version, I don't think.

Nope, no segmentata.

And I understand the OP's thoughts, as i've thought to it on extent. What's the value earned of the heaviest armor if the player can just buy it outright, rather than progressing to earn it? And furthermore, what then is the point in offering other lighter armor equipment for sale?

Item balance is always an important part of any mod or game. For 268, i've been fairly keen to watch the stats of items, as to allow the use and utility of all weapons, which is contrary to native's just getting full plate and defeating many weapon types.

With that already established, and some new thoughts stimulated from this thread for increased stat requirements, I think that could be accomodated.

ealabor said:
Nope, no segmentata.

And I understand the OP's thoughts, as i've thought to it on extent. What's the value earned of the heaviest armor if the player can just buy it outright, rather than progressing to earn it? And furthermore, what then is the point in offering other lighter armor equipment for sale?

Item balance is always an important part of any mod or game. For 268, i've been fairly keen to watch the stats of items, as to allow the use and utility of all weapons, which is contrary to native's just getting full plate and defeating many weapon types.

With that already established, and some new thoughts stimulated from this thread for increased stat requirements, I think that could be accomodated.

Indeed, that's something that I always hated about vanilla and most mods. Lighter equipments is useful for what... the first 2 days of the game? Then you just make a few thousand gold thanks to looting or tournaments and you can already buy expensive armor while cheap armor gets forgotten.

Another possibility for making lighter armours viable might be to limit the player's athletics attribute. I don't know if it is even possible to do that, but it might make the player think twice about getting the heaviest outfit that he can afford if he has only modest athletics. Currently, at high levels, a player might increase his athletics to 5 or more, and the heavy armour probably won't slow him down much at all, so there is no reason not to use it (aside from individual tastes for roleplay and aesthetics).

Seether said:
Aquila SPQR said:
Armor like lorica squamata or segmentata should be available after many (game) months.
Well, if you manage to keep playing for 250 in-game years, maybe it should appear then. :razz:

DanAngleland said:
Another possibility for making lighter armours viable might be to limit the player's athletics attribute. I don't know if it is even possible to do that, but it might make the player think twice about getting the heaviest outfit that he can afford if he has only modest athletics. Currently, at high levels, a player might increase his athletics to 5 or more, and the heavy armour probably won't slow him down much at all, so there is no reason not to use it (aside from individual tastes for roleplay and aesthetics).

That would be pretty nice, since not everyone would be very comfortable wearing the armor of a hoplite or whatever. Sure, right now we have the whole encumberance thing that makes you slow and all, but it doesn't even matter if you're riding a horse.

All in all, it'd be nice to have harder to find/buy items. Have you thought about making certain weapons and armor only available to certain factions? I heard warband has support for this.

Could there be a way to implement only beeing able to buy a certain weapon/armor (ex: military grade) if you've committed yourself to a faction. Like, if you don't join any factions and stay a mercenary, then you should only be able to buy the basic armors and weapons. If you join the Roman, Carthaginian, Greek, or even Galic armies, then the player should then be able to obtain higher grade equipment. That makes more since to me, because in those days no commoner could go to a tanner or smith and buy a nice leather or brass (and iron?) armor, pike, scimitar, battle axe, or spear. Or a Roman shield, or any other military shield for that matter. It makes more since to me that, padded tunics and other basic armors and weapons should only be readily available, then higher military qualities available depending on what faction you join. Like, if you join the Greeks, you should be able to get their high quality armor, but not nice Roman or Selucid equipment. Btw, will armors and weapons ONLY be available at their native lands? I hated how in vanilla you could get the same crap everywhere with the exception of just a few items.

Could it be possible to change how weapons,armor, and horses are gained?

None of it can be purchased/crafted unless your a lord of a castle/town.

Until then armor and weapons are either inherited(given with certain selections at game start), given through quests and deeds by lords, or looted.

On a sidenote: possibly make it so you can only upgrade the troops in your party if you have the proper armor, weapon,and horse for their use.

I just hope that you Make the differences between armor enough to where there is a definite difference between your armored troops and levies.

Light Armour (such as chitons etc) should let you run, medium armour, should let you jog at most and the heavier armours should force you to only be able to move at walking speed.

RayvenQ said:
Light Armour (such as chitons etc) should let you run, medium armour, should let you jog at most and the heavier armours should force you to only be able to move at walking speed.

Or we could just be realistic.  :roll:

Well I would suggest an Encumbrance system where the items are weighted which affects your movement according to your agility. Though that's probably not original...

Back
Top Bottom