SP Fantasy The Savage West: Putting amateur modding skills to the test

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm making a small mod called The Savage West(aftermath), which takes place in a completely foreign land called Ovest. There will be factions to replace the Veigers and the Swadians, such as the strange and primitive Galfarrs, and the prideful Lodeñes with their eccentric nobility. The main feature of the mod will be a vibrant, detailed map, as I have very little skill in other modding areas.

The storyline mostly revolves around the eruption of the Ujetfris; a series of mountain ranges which converged into one whole mountain. The grasslands of the Ujetfris used to be so fertile that entire wars were waged over territory there. It seemed that the eruption occured to avenge the blood lost in the wars, for the Ujetfris exploded in showers of lava and ash during the pinnacle of the Great War, spreading magma and carving canyons into the fertile grassland. Soon, all that was left of the thriving Ujetfris wildland was burnt, dead ground. The game starts not long after
the incident, while the superpowers that once fought over the now-extinct Ujetfris are in a shocked, weakened state.

I'll be using the creation of this mod as a basis for my learning, so the mod will probably improve as I go along.  :eek:

Also, I'll get some screenshots of the map when I've finished more of it.

Some planned features(very simple, I know)

-Four major powers, each with their own enemies and allies

-Many small, feudal factions, seperated by the trauma caused by the eruption. The leaders of these factions will have their own unique personalities... If you say something they don't like, you'll probably be shown to the door.

-Enemy heroes with their warbands.

-Many, MANY new towns, on a reasonably sized map.

-A plethera of friendly heroes.

Screenshots

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2733/fortjunoandujetfris2mj.jpg
The view of the ruined Ujetfris from Fort Juno.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/504/lodenesgalfarrterr7sm.jpg
Overview of the Lodeñes territory, with two Galfarr villages.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5480/ulfgans0it.jpg
Unfinished Ulfgans territory.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6963/alexandrian8xw.jpg
Unfinished area of Alexandrian territory. Two of their colonies and a Galfarr village included.

Factions
Lodeñes: Spanish/French inspired country, with most of it's territory in fertile valley grassland. Troops mostly issued halbreds with flourishing helmets. Government is very laid-back. Moderate-sized and moderately-trained armies.
Ulfgans: Norse inspired country, with most territory in elevated highlands. Troops mostly issued poleaxes to keep up with the times, but lightly armored. Tightly interwoven nobility with very little outsiders from other families. Relatively small but skilled armies.
Alexandrians: Imperial-British inspired country with territory all over the place. Fattened armies with little skill to back them up. Nobility is spoiled and laid back politically, but very power-hungry.
Galfarrs: Native American inspired culture with little, but spread out territory. Small but fierce armies determined to defend their nation. Loose, basic politics, with nobles(or chiefs) mostly concerned with the conservation of the land rightfully belonging to them.

More to come!

He's right, but thanks for the offer, archer.

The river ends suddenly because I simply haven't completed enough of the map for it to have a place to go. :lol:
Plus, it's mostly melted snow from the tops of the mountains, and it pools at the bottom of the valley. The picture quality is rather low.

It sounds good. Just one thing though. The expansion pack for Half-Life 2 is going to be called aftermath as well, so I suggest you consider changing the name to something less copyright infringing. Other than that it sounds really good. Good luck!

Update

Added info about the current factions.
New screenshot of Alexandrian territory.
Changed the mod name to The Savage West.

I'm glad you guys are liking it so far. Does anyone have feedback(negative is prefered) about the way the map is done?

Looks good, but you haven't given yourself much room on the borders.  Make sure the yellow border is just inside the edge of the map, or it will look strange if the player walks too close.

Ok, the HL2 Expansion pack is going to be called Episode 1, not Aftermath, they CHANGED it, IIRC.

Planethalflife.com is your friend, and not just voted the best planetblahblah for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom