The Persuasion checks are far far too punishing

Users who are viewing this thread

So the persuasion checks are far too punishing. I am trying to arrange a marriage, passing a persuasion check was part of it. In order to do so, you have to get 3 out of 3, you can not fail a single one or you fail the entire thing. I got 2 out of 3, all of them were 94% chance of success based on my stats. The first one failed, with a 6% chance of failure. So the entire thing failed because a critical success did not trigger.

Oh, and I also don't get to ever repeat that check ever. That is just a completely closed window for me.

These need to be seriously adjusted, a 2 out of 3 should still be a success. You could even implement levels of success. Like a 2/3 is a partial success, which gives me the chance to try again later at the very least.

As it stands right now, it's a pretty broken system.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the % are not real.

I tried to convince a lord to join my kingdom, the first try was 49% critical success and 9% critical failure, I reloaded my game at least 50 times to finally pass the 4 points check and I got the crit sucess 4 times and the crit failure 4 times too. 4 times out of 50 when I have a 49% chance of success...
Likewise, if you fail to convince him you can never get his clan again.

At least for the family feud, I dare say the probabilities are mostly correct. Issues arising might be confirmation bias, a general lack of knowledge on probability and a small dataset.
Plus the system is rather redundant as you have to win two for the family feud quest and one can make it much harder or even impossible to win. For the Family Feud, you will have two checks one with 74% chance and one with 59% Chance. You have to pass the two checks, which will tell us the overall probability to win this way is 43%, so far from half the times you will try you will get that result. This is pretty much consistent with the times I did this quest so far.
You can also instant win this with a critical success in the third option, which sits at 9%. You would do this after your first fail, as it is the only way to still pass. With this you can add another 5% chance to your success rate, bringing it up to 48%.
If for any quest you indeed have to complete three or four steps this will get much, much harder, even if probabilities are high. If we have 94% probability to pass on each step we are looking at 83% after three and 78% at the fourth step. Still good odds, in that case you simply got unlucky.

I love that I tried to convince my father-in-law, with 100 reputation, to join and he's like "I hardly know you..." Well, you're daughter knows me in the biblical sense (I suppose - I never visited her yet somehow she bore 2 kids.) Family relations and marriage should give a boost to persuasion.

I keep critical failing the exact same question. Did it 3 times in a row, but it says critical fail chance is 9% and critical success is 59%. 3 times the same question had a crit fail. I am starting to think this is like XCOM where it pre-rolls your success rates.

I get one crit success and then either crit fail or everything is ineffective. I have 160+ charm, 100 relation with the guy and he's my father-in-law. It should not have to save spam this.

Last edited:
So the whole speech mechanic as it is now is not really implemented.
Even if it was fully implemented, it is a flawed mechani. Iit removes engaging gameplay (combat) and exchanges it for clicking a button based on percentages.
A good speech system would primarily hinge on character traits, relations (not just number, but also family ties, feudal ties, etc.) and knowledge about the character you interact with and the world.

And yes they are too irreversable if you fail. For marriage it would make sense to give you a stage between complete failure or suuccess.

I am starting to think this is like XCOM where it pre-rolls your success rates.

Either that or the math being used is just straight up defective. It might say 94%, but it isn't. It's so messed up I stopped doing any conversations with speech checks. Regardless of the stated percentage, my success rate is always ZERO.

I think the game saves RNG seeds. Too lazy to look in the code and confirm, but I remember seeing it there somewhere in their randomizer.

I would prefer it completely non-random. Preferably, you as a player should be able to see if you can convince the character or not. This could be impacted by your skill, your relations, the lord's relations with his current liege and by what you can possibly offer (money, fiefs). This would help to avoid the save scumming completely while preserving both fun and the balance.

After you convince them they will ask you as little as 1 million denar to switch side so yeah... just chop their head off is a bit easier XD

Back
Top Bottom