The Original Sands of Faith Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
jacobhinds said:
There really wasn't that much variation in high medieval european weapons. Claymores and Flamberges wouldn't be invented for centuries after the mod is set.
There were definitely more weapons than just "sword" and "bow". Where are the Sabres? Scimitars? 2H swords? Just a simple update adding more weapons would be great.

One-handed straight swords, spears, bows and crossbows were the universal weapons of the middle east and europe in 1185. Curved swords were rare, two-handed swords were non-existent. There may have been a mace or two, but by and large weapon variety was incredibly slim during that period.

Still one of my favourite settngs though.

jacobhinds said:
One-handed straight swords, spears, bows and crossbows were the universal weapons of the middle east and europe in 1185. Curved swords were rare, two-handed swords were non-existent. There may have been a mace or two, but by and large weapon variety was incredibly slim during that period.

Still one of my favourite settngs though.
What about the 2H swords used by the Knights Templar?

jacobhinds said:
They didn't use swords that big until around 1300. Nobody did.
Well, I've been looking it up all morning and I think I know what swords you're talking about. You're talking about claymores and other massive 2H swords. But after looking what some Templars had, they had not too big but decently sized 1 - 2 handed swords. The swords in this mod are just called sword but after looking it up, I found that many Knights would have had swords tailored to their specific needs (Heigh, weight e.t.c). Now, Im not saying a feature should be implemented into the mod where you design your own sword, but rather where there is more than just sword.

The templars of 1185 didn't use specific weapons that nobody else had access to. Virtually every knight or heavy cavalryman, Frank or Ayyubid, had a lance, a sword and a shield. Two-handed swords can't be used effectively with shields, which means the user has to have enough armour that he doesn't need one. Armour didn't become that advanced until the mid 1300s, which is where pikes and halberds and other shieldless weapons come into play.

In the context of the game, two-handed weapons wouldn't be that useful either because of the same reasons that exist in real life -- too many arrows flying around, too many spears (more reach than a 2h sword), too many situations that require infantry to hold a position against constant enemy arrow fire. The crusaders did this a lot, to the point where their major defeats were caused by breaking from their shieldwalls that could remain stationary for days.

jacobhinds said:
The templars of 1185 didn't use specific weapons that nobody else had access to. Virtually every knight or heavy cavalryman, Frank or Ayyubid, had a lance, a sword and a shield. Two-handed swords can't be used effectively with shields, which means the user has to have enough armour that he doesn't need one. Armour didn't become that advanced until the mid 1300s, which is where pikes and halberds and other shieldless weapons come into play.

In the context of the game, two-handed weapons wouldn't be that useful either because of the same reasons that exist in real life -- too many arrows flying around, too many spears (more reach than a 2h sword), too many situations that require infantry to hold a position against constant enemy arrow fire. The crusaders did this a lot, to the point where their major defeats were caused by breaking from their shieldwalls that could remain stationary for days.
That's why I said add a weapon of 1 - 2 handed use....You know...A weapon that can be wielded with a shield and be used with two hands without a shield.

If a sword can be used with two hands it's a two-handed sword. Classifications like "bastard sword" and "hand-and-half sword" are contemporary and essentially made up, and refer to swordfighting techniques from the 1400s. Even so, you wouldn't get swords beyond perhaps 60cm in length during the 1180s, since they were sidearms for armies that were almost entirely comprised of lancers and spearmen, with a few foot archers and horse archers.

jacobhinds said:
If a sword can be used with two hands it's a two-handed sword. Classifications like "bastard sword" and "hand-and-half sword" are contemporary and essentially made up, and refer to swordfighting techniques from the 1400s. Even so, you wouldn't get swords beyond perhaps 60cm in length during the 1180s, since they were sidearms for armies that were almost entirely comprised of lancers and spearmen, with a few foot archers and horse archers.
What about Balian's sword in Kingdom of Heaven? I know it's fiction but im sure such swords existed.

My understanding is that some swords used at the time were long enough to be used with two hands, but they preferred to use them with a shield, because arrows and crossbows were still a major threat at that point.

Balian_de_Ibelin said:
What about Balian's sword in Kingdom of Heaven? I know it's fiction but im sure such swords existed.

Kingdom of heaven is a decent film but it's basically fiction. Balian of ibelin was a completely different character in real life -- practically the only thing they kept was his name.

Hazzardevil said:
My understanding is that some swords used at the time were long enough to be used with two hands, but they preferred to use them with a shield, because arrows and crossbows were still a major threat at that point.

The hilts of such swords weren't really long enough to be used twohanded. For example this sword is fairly typical of the era:

e85453ce95fb636f925b80209d1aa8e5.jpg

But it's strictly onehanded. I doubt you could even fit another finger on the hilt.

jacobhinds said:
Balian_de_Ibelin said:

Kingdom of heaven is a decent film but it's basically fiction. Balian of ibelin was a completely different character in real life -- practically the only thing they kept was his name.
Don't worry, Im not ignorant enough to say Kingdom of Heaven is pure fact. I know it's not. I was souley questioning the weapons used.

This is oddly relevant and I just remembered it from another thread.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,251061.0.html
That's where I got the idea about two handed swords.

Hazzardevil said:
This is oddly relevant and I just remembered it from another thread.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,251061.0.html
That's where I got the idea about two handed swords.

That was Very relevant!    :grin:.  What makes me laugh however, is that despite the words of a respected researcher and H.E.M.A expert like Mike Loads...there are still "Google jockies" and reenactment nerds who feel they know better. 

I've said this already more than once in Moddb thread: I'll give bastard_sword flag in the next version  to the longer swords in the mod so they can be used with 1-h or 2-h... I just need to take a look at the animations first that's why I didn't this already, it just gets boring answering the same things over and over again...  Regarding names am I supposed to give names like "Anduril" or something to the swords -_-'

thewanderingknight said:
I've said this already more than once in Moddb thread: I'll give bastard_sword flag in the next version  to the longer swords in the mod so they can be used with 1-h or 2-h... I just need to take a look at the animations first that's why I didn't this already, it just gets boring answering the same things over and over again...  Regarding names am I supposed to give names like "Anduril" or something to the swords -_-'
Im sure you can come up with something a bit more creative than "sword". You did a fantastic job with the rest of the mod, so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Thanks for replying as well.

thewanderingknight said:

Such is the social part of mod-making, sadly. Look at Docm30 (maker of L'Aigle). I think he has to answer the same questions over and over absolutely every day. Like ''When will you add Spain or the Ottomans?'', ''When is the new patch coming?'' ''Why is there no wars?''...

It's annoying, I know. And I feel your pain. Perhaps I could suggest you to make a development log on moddb that you could link to other people every time they ask you a question regarding your mod. It would save you some time AND your nerves! :wink:

Balian_de_Ibelin said:
thewanderingknight said:
Im sure you can come up with something a bit more creative than "sword". You did a fantastic job with the rest of the mod, so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Thanks for replying as well.
I'm not hugely familiar with it, but Oakeshott has a means you could name swords from.

I heard from a Skallagrim video that sometimes they used to grip the pommel so they could use it with two hands.

Can't source it though, since I don't remember the title of the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom