The Original Sands of Faith Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone that can run the mod at high settings could record a video from v1.5 would be great since everything in youtube is very outdated now, even if just a battle in the middle of the desert or something would be great already, thanks ^^

4th-of-july-flag-fireworks-animation.gif
animated-happy-new-year-happy-face.gif
4th-of-july-flag-fireworks-animation.gif

:iamamoron: thanks for the great work  :wink: and all the amazing effort  :smile:
:grin: wish you a very happy new year indeed  :party:

Templar Knight V.S. Mamluk Warrior : 1218–50
illustrated by Johnny Shumate

Nq6rDxT.jpg

The opposing sides : retreat from Damietta - 1221

vj5x7Ci.jpg

mO15dXp.jpg

6WQSJN6.jpg

Charging at La Forbie - 1244

EkYuWJP.jpg

fzbjgWI.jpg

4tK8tgK.jpg

Trapped in Al Mansurah - 1250

TQC4WgM.jpg

OjpvcmN.jpg

NS4uznD.jpg
pJZT3F6.png

Got to say I really like the mod except for one thing?  The weapons and armor selection seems rather limited.  For example I usually play the Arabian flavored factions because I love the armor and weapons but can't for the world of me find a Scimitar anywhere.  I was also struck by how every bow, sword, piece of armor was almost exactly the same with almost no diversity (Doesn't seem to be any prefix types of anything and selection is limited).

So my question is what am I missing?  Is it just that better weapons and different weapon types are very rare (Though a Scimitar seems like it would be pretty common especially in Turkish areas like the Sultanate of Rum) and I haven't found any yet (just started playing) or is there some crazy crafting mechanic or something?

In any case, I really like the Mod but alot of the fun is saving up and/or looting great armors, weapons and even amazing horse and mounts and unless I am missing it somewhere, they don't seem to exist.  Can anyone confirm this? 

Midnitewolf said:
Got to say I really like the mod except for one thing?  The weapons and armor selection seems rather limited.  For example I usually play the Arabian flavored factions because I love the armor and weapons but can't for the world of me find a Scimitar anywhere.  I was also struck by how every bow, sword, piece of armor was almost exactly the same with almost no diversity (Doesn't seem to be any prefix types of anything and selection is limited).

So my question is what am I missing?  Is it just that better weapons and different weapon types are very rare (Though a Scimitar seems like it would be pretty common especially in Turkish areas like the Sultanate of Rum) and I haven't found any yet (just started playing) or is there some crazy crafting mechanic or something?

In any case, I really like the Mod but alot of the fun is saving up and/or looting great armors, weapons and even amazing horse and mounts and unless I am missing it somewhere, they don't seem to exist.  Can anyone confirm this?

What is your source about scimitars being used in that time frame? Because I'm only aware of scimitars from 15 century + Anyway all armors and weapons in the mod were made by CWE team and I use what was made. Regarding stats is a design choice, battles are the focus of this mod so there isn't too much difference in stats for balance reasons even because the troop trees are short. I know not everyone like it but it's a design choice.

thewanderingknight said:
What is your source about scimitars being used in that time frame?

The Seljuks and Iranians used curved swords. I doubt they were that common and would have been restricted to light cavalrymen, unlike in the 1500s and onwards when scimitars were really popular, but they were there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamshir
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilij

In 1185 the Seljuks were mostly gone, but their military systems were still around in parts of northern Syria and Anatolia. I don't know if the cavalry mace had taken over by that point though.

jacobhinds said:
thewanderingknight said:
What is your source about scimitars being used in that time frame?

The Seljuks and Iranians used curved swords. I doubt they were that common and would have been restricted to light cavalrymen, unlike in the 1500s and onwards when scimitars were really popular, but they were there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamshir
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilij

In 1185 the Seljuks were mostly gone, but their military systems were still around in parts of northern Syria and Anatolia. I don't know if the cavalry mace had taken over by that point though.

I'm aware that were scimitars dated from early centuries and then they were used as common weapon by Ottoman Empire but in 12 century there isn't any source that scimitar was a typical weapon from either Ayyubids or Seljuks (they're usually depicted as using the arabian swords in the mod), Sultanate of Rum was still a very strong faction at this time although the Seljuk Empire itself had scrambled already.

Happy new year to all and especially to you "thewanderingknight". We are so grateful for all the beauty you gave to us with this little masterpiece of yours. I do understand the point of other players for more variety of choices regarding the stats of arms and the lovable scimitar swords . I also respect your choices which were made for good reason . I only can't understand the luck of maces which , I think , were always common in those areas all around the medieval times and even before. That being said,  maybe , some patch with some variety of stats of weapons/armors/horses and some extra sword type to please some players choices, wouldn't be a bad idea...

sabers first reached Arabia in the 7th century via the Khazars
they where available to all factions in the age of the crusades, but
mostly used by cavalrymen and were slightly less curved
than future versions would be...

1-3.%20%3F%3F%3F%3F%20%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F.%20J.Shumate.jpg

105-9b9339ad96.jpg

106-c01d78a8e5.jpg

107-95f2aad0cf.jpg

108-4a24830f05.jpg

109-324a7bb1b0.jpg

110-4807a4b2da.jpg

1-4.%20%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F-%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F.%20J.Shumate.jpg

%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F-%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%2C%20XIII%20%3F%3F%3F.jpg

you can also combine infantry crossbowmen and archers together
for all factions, in one cooperative unite, as documented by historical sources

06.jpg

14.jpg

ZSTNnBv.jpg

Ayyubid mounted archers also included mounted crossbowmen

total_war1429384437_image06.png

:wink: regarding diversity, here are some ideas
for more items, units and tavern mercenaries...

total_war1429384365_image00.png

total_war1429384375_image01.png

total_war1429384385_image02.png

total_war1429384395_image03.png

total_war1429384400_image04.png

total_war1429384460_image08.png

total_war1429384407_image05.png

total_war1429384449_image07.png

total_war1429384468_image09.png

as I said before, you don't need to use just the crusader way of expiation models,
adding items from Anno Domini 1257, and many other mods,
works great with them and adds more diversity  :wink:

Didn't know about those mounted crossbowmen.  :eek:
Matmohair's right about the combined units; the crusaders in particular made plenty of use of kneeling shieldwalls with crossbowmen in the ranks behind. It might be interesting to have a troop type that has a chance to spawn both spears and crossbows.

Well the pictures don't show any "scimitars" as was asked (maybe the last one) ^^ half the swords are not curved and the other half are just slightly curved. Regarding muslim factions using crossbows it was certainly not the rule and mounted crossbowmen certainly a very rare thing, I think historically accurate means the rule rather than the exception, certainly there was also firearms before time frames usually described as like with everything else start as an exception before becoming the common thing. But historically accurate means following what was the rule not the exception to that rule in my opinion. Also regarding crossbows the reason they were so popular in Europe was because they didn't require much skill or experience to use and they were distributed to regular infantry, not necessarily specialized troops. Eastern cultures however were used to bows.

What shall I do to make a sub-board for this mod, I pmed Caba'drin some days ago but didn't got any answer yet, reading the rules for asking it says I shall pm an Administrator, shall I contact someone else or shall I just wait? Not sure if he did read it.

thewanderingknight said:
Midnitewolf said:

What is your source about scimitars being used in that time frame? Because I'm only aware of scimitars from 15 century + Anyway all armors and weapons in the mod were made by CWE team and I use what was made. Regarding stats is a design choice, battles are the focus of this mod so there isn't too much difference in stats for balance reasons even because the troop trees are short. I know not everyone like it but it's a design choice.

Looks like someone else found the source for me about the sabers/scimitars.

As far as the rest, yeah unfortunately I was guessing that lack of diversity in weapons choices and stats was probably a design choice.  I say unfortunately because part of the fun of a mod for me is the RPG-like activity of upgrading equipment and the excitement those occasions when you get a crazy expensive and good loot drop after a big fight.  I tend to think that the higher end gear tends to be too easy to acquire in most mods but I still like that those types of equipment do drop or are available for great cost. 

In any case, this is a great mod by all accounts but just not one that has all the features I enjoy.  Thanks for answering my questions though.

Well I already answered about "sabers/scimitars" if there is a scimitar there is in the last pic in the others they're the swords that are in the mod and just slightly curved swords so I don't see how that contradicts what I've said that the most common were the arabian swords. The mod is design to be more action rpg unlike other Warband mods, it's really more about the feeling of the grand battles in the crusades time frame.

Released patch to the campaign map that shall fix sometimes parties getting stuck. It works with savegames since it just fixes campaign map pathfinding. Thanks to produno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom