The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
kpetschulat said:
Civilian weapons like hunting rifles, swords, clubs, boar spears. Also shooting club rifles and muskets, dueling pistols, etc.
Something like this? (Made in Kronoborg, Finland
1794_41.jpg
or this... (Made in Söderhamn, Sweden)
Sidenote: Sorry about not being able to see everything in the first picture. These are both hunting muskets.

Pretty sure we are on topic.

Speaking of swagger sticks, what would be the most ridiculous outfit we might find on the civilian side of the mod? I'm hoping for something purple and feathery.

you plan to do only "the Spanish Rebels" and not the Spanish regular army?

the guerrilla is only part of that war, but in Spain the Spanish army continued existing

fleckys80 said:

the guerrilla is only part of that war, but in Spain the Spanish army continued existing

Spanish rebels makes reference to all the Spanish forces fighting against the French and Bonapartist Spain, under the authority of the Junta Suprema. So it will be mostly regular troops, as far as I know. Guerrilla will be low level troops or perhaps bandit-like parties roaming the map.

By the way, Docm, you may want to change the "Suprema Junta" in the first post for "Junta Suprema" or "Junta Suprema Central" (there was a Junta Suprema in each region). In Spanish the adjectives are usually placed after the noum. Just nitpicking, but fleckys80's post reminded me of it.

fleckys80 said:

The legitimate king of Spain was under house arrest in France. A Bonaparte was placed on the throne making him the king of Spain. I would argue that essentially makes the Spanish who continued to fight rebels, most were untrained peasants and had little uniform or in some cases weaponry. By 1813 the Spanish divisions were at a passable standard but in 1809 they were a horrible fighting force with the exception of a few corps in the south east.

The fact a Bonaparte was in the throne doesn't mean the army was by his side. Of course the Spanish Army was weak, but according to this document I've been reading about the battles of the year 1809, most of the battles were fought by the regular army or a combination of regulars + militia. Though militias were more common to participate in sabotages than taking part in battles.

The only battles which were only fought by militias/voluntaries are:

Battle of Villafranca del Bierzo:

1.500 militiamen fought against 1000 frenchmen who were in the castle of the village. After 4 hours the French surrendered.

Siege of El Ferrol:

With the British leaving La Coruña, the French army conquered Galicia with not much difficulty. In the defense of El Ferrol, one of the most important ports of the Spanish Armada, there were only 300 regular soldiers. The rest were just volunteers. The city surrendered after 4 days.

At any rate, the faction list on the front page calls the faction the Supreme [Central] Junta, meaning the provisional government. It's not implied that their forces will be exclusively partisans, it's only stated in brackets, for clarity's sake, that they're the rebel Spain as opposed to the de jure Kingdom of Spain. You can take exception to the fact that the Bonapartes are being given precedence in the language employed, but I think it's premature to accuse l'Aigle of some gross historical inaccuracy.

SirAlbert said:
The fact a Bonaparte was in the throne doesn't mean the army was by his side.

That's why they're rebels. They were rebelling against King José. He certainly was king, though. Never mind if he was unpopular, not particularly competent and didn't deserve the position, he was still as legitimate a king as any English monarch has ever been. His kingdom was still the one and only Kingdom of Spain. Do bear in mind that Ferdinando VII's House of Bourbon had effectively been installed by the French army in the War of Spanish Succession. The Spanish were getting a Frenchman either way.

Anyway, the Junta Suprema (I do know where adjectives go in Spanish, by the way) will mostly get British armed and uniform militia and regulars. The guerillas hadn't started operating with the Spanish army yet, so they'll be there own faction. The Spanish army was in a very disorganised and transitional state at this point, so they will have some older uniforms, as well, to help show that.

I haven't exactly decide on how I'll do the guerillas yet, though. I want them to roam around in small bands like looters, but I was want some of the more famous leaders as proper lords. We'll see.

James Grant said:
...most were untrained peasants and had little uniform or in some cases weaponry....

Just because the British regarded them as such doesn't make it the case. By the time the mod starts, the British had already shipped 90,000 uniforms, 200,000 muskets and half a million yards of cloth to the Spanish. Combine that with the older uniforms and new of Spanish make I have a hard time believe they were un-uniformed or badly-armed. Perhaps they had been at the very start of the hostilities, but the fact that they won several battles against the French in 1809 (far more than the British did) proves they were a competent force. Badly officer'd in many cases, but usually good soldiers.

If factions have patrols being led without a lord, as some mods do, then you could have guerrilla bands that aren't actually "bandits" in the hostile-to-everyone sense. In either case, I'm not sure you can make bandits or patrols loot settlements, at least I haven't seen it done before.

Well, realistically guerillas looted as many Spanish villages as the French, and attacked the British with alarming frequency (a matter which wasn't helped by the adoption of French-style cavalry uniforms in 1811). They probably won't in the mod, though.

Bluehawk said:
I'm not sure you can make bandits or patrols loot settlements, at least I haven't seen it done before.

I'm certain I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom