The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Landgraft said:
nilloc93 said:
fighting in columns? what are you french?

The idea that the French favoured the column for attack is (mostly) a myth. It tended to happen a bit with the worse trained troops, so you had it happen sometimes (especially in the 1813 Befreiungskrieg), but for the vast majority of time they only used it as a form for maneuver.

There are even accounts of French troops in Spain forming in line before charging those red-coated cads.

I know it was not the norm, the "assault column" was not the premier French tactic.
But they still did it on occasion which makes them silly, which is not a surprise because they are french

Docm30 said:
They're there so the AI can shoot from the walls better. I tried it the other way and the defenders were useless. They obviously can't fire from the walls in the same way real people can (reaching over and around and what not).

I certainly don't want the defenders at a disadvantage.
Have you tried to use stairs at the battlements so that the AI can fire over them?

well The pike was used sparingly at the time, I suppose any rebel or conscript style unit could have a slight chance of having one.
Because better a shortened pike than a pitchfork.

I remember Docm saying that there wont be any Opolcheniye
And I think only the NCOs had spears but not pikes in the Landwehr

ClearlyInvisible said:
Still makes no sense. I think some Oplenchie and Landwher had pikes.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

At least in the case of Prussia, Landsturm? Maybe. Landwehr? Probably not. However, neither of them even existed in 1809, so that's irrelevant.

Epicrules said:
ClearlyInvisible said:
Still makes no sense. I think some Oplenchie and Landwher had pikes.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

At least in the case of Prussia, Landsturm? Maybe. Landwehr? Probably not. However, neither of them even existed in 1809, so that's irrelevant.

Why wouldn't Landwehr exist then? It's basic Country Defense (Translated as two different words to get it right) they would have 'em in garrisons while the Army guards the borders. I think it's just weird too not have something similar back then, or maybe they just had Miliz/Bürgerwehr? (Militia)

Benjamin_von_Hamburg said:
Why wouldn't Landwehr exist then? It's basic Country Defense (Translated as two different words to get it right) they would have 'em in garrisons while the Army guards the borders. I think it's just weird too not have something similar back then, or maybe they just had Miliz/Bürgerwehr? (Militia)
Prussia was castrated by france in 1809. Castrated nations usually dont arm their citizens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom