The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Religion did not really play that much of a factor in determining who fought who in the Napoleonic wars in regards to the belligerents there was not the usual Catholic vs Protestant vs Orthodox that was more prevalent earlier in European history.

Consider that the 2 (almost) constant enemies Austria and France were both strongholds of Catholicism, while Protestant England would ally itself with Catholic Austria and Orthodox Russia.

While religion was important to social aspects of the time I don't really see it having a massive effect on gameplay, so while im sure doc has added in some churches in the towns and such I don't think there would be any gameplay changes brought on by religion.

nilloc93 said:
Religion did not really play that much of a factor in determining who fought who in the Napoleonic wars in regards to the belligerents there was not the usual Catholic vs Protestant vs Orthodox that was more prevalent earlier in European history.

Consider that the 2 (almost) constant enemies Austria and France were both strongholds of Catholicism, while Protestant England would ally itself with Catholic Austria and Orthodox Russia.

While religion was important to social aspects of the time I don't really see it having a massive effect on gameplay, so while im sure doc has added in some churches in the towns and such I don't think there would be any gameplay changes brought on by religion.
It is my understanding that the French Revolution wasn't exactly great news for the catholic church in France.

The might and influence of religion is not as strong as it was in the middle ages, so it's not a factor which decides who stands on which side in a war. However the church(better said the Vatican) had still a considerable amount of power and influence(e.g. the coronation of Napoleon). So in this sense, i think religion won't be a determining factor.
Maybe a faction resembling the Papal State? :grin:

I've heard a story from a BBC documentary that Napoleon kept the Pope waiting for a few hours before then snatching the crown off the Pope and crowning himself, so it shows that Napoleon felt brave enough to outright disrespect the head of the Church.

I remember reading somewhere that Napoleon valued the Pope's influence over the French people and the rest of the catholic world. It's not like he was some edgy **** pissing the popa für die lulz.

crodio said:
I remember reading somewhere that Napoleon valued the Pope's influence over the French people and the rest of the catholic world. It's not like he was some edgy **** pissing the popa für die lulz.

To me his policy towards catholicism appeared mostly practical, as lack of religious institutions had kept people from uniting when the revolution turned into anarchy. In fact, Napoleon appreciated prophet Muhammad way over the Pope.

dinnerblaster said:
... Napoleon appreciated prophet Muhammad way over the Pope.

Isn’t this widely considered to be a gross misconception?

Christian Cherfils’ publication Bonaparte et L’Islam, one of the primary sources of this Internet fallacy, is widely considered to be revisionary drivel. Take, for example, the following passage:

“The Battle of Waterloo was the result of his abolishing interest, and getting the French Sanhedrin, under Rabbi David Sindzsheim, to agree to its abolition. This went down like a lead balloon in the banking houses of Rothschild, and Wellington, Rothschild's agent, was dispatched to prevent a new exodus of slaves. Napoleon had recognised the superiority of Islam, which can be seen in his 'Code Napoleon', the present system of law in France, which, with the exception of family law, is entirely Islamic. And why, one British judge said that: 'In France they have courts of Justice, whilst we must contend with courts of law'."

Wow, would you look at those anti-semitic undertones!

Furthermore, General Dominique Martin Dupuy’s testimony on the situation:
“Nous trompons les Égyptiens par notre simili attachement à leur religion, à laquelle Bonaparte et nous ne croyons pas plus qu'à celle de Pie le défunt.” // "We are fooling Egyptians with our pretended interest for their religion; neither Bonaparte nor we believe in this religion more than we did in Pius the Defunct's one.” (so recounted Jacques Bainville)

But I’m probably wrong. I’m sure Lincoln was also a vehement transvestite, and Louis XIV’s anal fistula was a shrewd concealment of the removal of a broken lizard-alien probe from his arse...

Hazzardevil said:
I've heard a story from a BBC documentary that Napoleon kept the Pope waiting for a few hours before then snatching the crown off the Pope and crowning himself, so it shows that Napoleon felt brave enough to outright disrespect the head of the Church.
That's a myth.  Possibly started by the Duchess d'Abrantes, it keeps getting thrown around a lot, but that's not what happened.  It still appears on the internet, and that dreadful movie Désirée (1954) also perpetuates it.  In the first place, it was a timed affair, everyone followed their schedules, and Napoleon arrived on time.

Second, it was actually agreed upon ahead of time that Napoleon crown himself and the Pope agreed to this.  This whole "Napoleon snatched it from him causing surprise" is not true.  They did what was planned.

That's not to say Napoleon wasn't brave enough to disrespect the head of the Chruch, since he did have the Pope arrested.  Étienne Radet was sent to arrest the Pope and keep him in confinement, which Radet did in July of 1809.

Captured Joe said:
AFAIK the pope was imprisoned without Napoleon's consent.
Accordingly Napoleon himself ordered it.  In June of 1809, he sent a dispatch to Murat saying, "If the pope preaches revolt, then you must arrest him."  Étienne Radet was chosen for the assignment since he was in command of the local gendarmerie and proved effective when reorganizing the gendarmerie.

The only significant religious impact would be in the divided states. Spain in the early years, or Portugal at a stretch, where Catholicism was as one with le ancien regime.  Perhaps also in the Middle German States, Catholics would volunteer more readily for Austria, but then again....  Bavaria was staunchly catholic and a French ally for a long time.

I thought my motive to kill everyone as poland was going to be out of some twisted tyrannical domination instinct, not religious impulse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom