The Nuragic civilization - Lost in time

Users who are viewing this thread

Their is unfortunately not enough evidence to be sure about anything when it comes to the sea people, however, during the time of the sea people, the Nuragic civilization had the most advanced architecture in the entire western Mediterranian, including Magna Grecia.

Regarding the Etruscans is that the only thing that adds up is the timeline. The etruscans were long and blue eyed, the nuragics short and brown eyed. And not even the religious beliefs or the culture adds up.

Bah. The Minoan civilization are the sea people. Houses with fully functional water pipe systems beats stone towers any day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Peoples - Here is the wikipage about the Sea peoples anyway, and many historians seems to agree on that the sea peoples were different peoples. Hence sea peoples, not sea people. It is however quite likely that the Sherden was Sardinian - or had something to do with Sardinia.

Though I do find it interesting that the Phillistines (who as I mentioned supposedly had some Sea Peoples roots) had many similarities to Mycenaean warriors.  For example their armor apparently were similar and the champion challenge/fighting as well.  However, if I remember correctly several cultures did the latter.

I don't know if wikipedia is right on this (I know, its wikipedia), but they were saying that Carthage had conflict with them in roughly the 500's B.C.

There is 1 thing I reacted at when I looked at the picutres:
NURAGHE%20BARUMINI.jpg

I think that does look like that famous maze pattern you see all over random places of the world, does it not?

Very interesting thread, as italian i naturally know about nuraghe and the nuragic people.
Ask your boifriend to try some "marcetto"  :roll:
I've always been fascinated by bronze age- iron age civilizations, i mean have you ever heard about the camuni? another civilization that occupied the Val Camonica from the neolithic, here it is the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camunni

del_diablo said:
There is 1 thing I reacted at when I looked at the picutres:
NURAGHE%20BARUMINI.jpg
I think that does look like that famous maze pattern you see all over random places of the world, does it not?

Not really. It looks like a late neolithic town with a keep to me. What's interesting to me - the houses have each entirely different orientation of the door. Bronze age roundhouses often have the door oriented to the East. Interesting.

Ah, Su Nuraxi, I was there today. What is interesting with that place is that it was built during four different stages, and the defensive towers of the nuraghe is in the exact positions of north, east, south and west!

these are the so called Giants of Monte Prama
http://www.luoghimisteriosi.it/sardegna_montiprama.html

Bulle said:
How come you never hear about the Nuragic civilization? Have you heard about it before?

it is the old could not care less about-it as its not Roman/Greek.
and as thy left no surviving written works vast parts of there civilization are missing.

yes thay get to old skill metal/stone works or builders but that is it.

Remember that over time wood rots with no trace,stone get reused alot. 

Their statuettes are beyond horrendous! All evidence and knowledge of their civilization must be destroyed as soon as possible for integrity's sake.

funk said:
Bulle said:
How come you never hear about the Nuragic civilization? Have you heard about it before?

it is the old could not care less about-it as its not Roman/Greek.
and as thy left no surviving written works vast parts of there civilization are missing.

yes thay get to old skill metal/stone works or builders but that is it.

Remember that over time wood rots with no trace,stone get reused alot.
There is over 7000 big stone buildings, so called nuraghes, left all over Sardinia. After a law that got passed in Italy in the 19th century (basically you need to make a fence/wall around your lands), a lot of nuraghes got destroyed, some might've even disappeared because they took it down to make these useless walls. But there is still over 7000 left!

Honestly those statues remind me of the style seen in the earlier Cycladic civilization of the Greek Islands.  They kind of look like a mixture of modern art and basketball players :wink:

Skot the Sanguine said:
Wow, I completely overlooked that mention on the first post.  As far as I am aware though, most decent evidence leans the Sea Peoples to being possibly Mycenaean Greek.  I know one person, who is pretty well learned on them, believes it to be the case as well.  It would also explain why the Phillistines (who supposedly were Sea Peoples stock) had some similarities to Mycenaean culture.  He also thinks that the whole Trojan war story is actually more about the downfall of the Hittites (who fell due to the Sea Peoples) and not about a specific city.  That is speculation though.

I assume you're referring to one of my long-winded speculations, Skot.  :wink:

Yeah, I find the Sea People to be quite interesting.  One of the prevailing theories is that these folks were a conglomeration of sea-faring migrants (including the Shardin/Sardinians), fleeing their homes due to the chaos and anarchy of the Dark Age of 1200-800 BC.  It's tough to believe that a bunch of ragtag masses brought down the Hittite Empire and utterly destroyed its well-fortified capital, Hattusas, so swiftly and completely.  Given that the Hittites were aware of some peoples to the west (known in Hittite as the Ahhiyawa . . .Achaeans/Greeks, maybe?) who were causing trouble and attacking some of the Hittites' Aegean vassals, it would be neat if the Illiad was an epic story that represented the entire war between the Bronze Age Greeks and the Hittites, with the ten year length of the war being more fitting for a war between nations rather than a siege of a single city.  I have absolutely no evidence for my theory, and it's probably not true, but it's nevertheless fun to think about, and the current prevailing theories are pretty full of holes themselves.  :smile:

Oh, and I, like others, learned about the Nuraghic civilization via Europa Barbarorum.

You're not the first to link Achiyawa with Achaeans and the hittite reports with the Trojan war, nor the last to do so. :wink:

I have to admit that part of my theory rested on evidence stating that Troy VII (generally acknowledged as Homeric Troy) was a mere hill fort, and a bigger, more ancient Troy more fitting for an epic but not in the right timeline was destroyed by an earthquake (which can start a big debate about Poseidon, earthquakes, and the Trojan horse, but isn't really my point here).  However, I had been seemingly relying on pretty old evidence, because I think in the late 80's they discovered that the "hill fort" of Troy VII was in fact a citadel of a much larger city of several thousand inhabitants, based on an outer wall they had found.  Either way, though, the theory of a conglomeration of pirates coming a couple hundred miles inland to sack Hattusas and destroy the Hittites doesn't strike me as likely, either.  It would be like if a large number of Somalian pirates sailed into Chesapeake Bay and burnt Pittsburgh to the ground.  :lol:

never heard of the nuraghi. all we have in our region are these things. the only real special thing about it that rocks are not native to our region- they must have either dragged them there, or they must be "laid" down by melting ice age glaciers.
Hunebed_D53_Havelterberg.jpg
ohyeah, im talking about holland btw. this is the kind of stuff we learn about when talking about cavemen.

Back
Top Bottom