The Nuragic civilization - Lost in time

Users who are viewing this thread

Bulle

Count
Before I met my Sardinian boyfriend I had never ever heard about the nuraghes, or about the civilization that built them. Now that I do know about them, and have actually seen a bunch of nuraghes, both small and big, I wonder why we don't hear about it. The Nuragic civilization started in the Bronze age and is named from the characteristic buildings of the nuraghes. Today around 7,000 nuraghes still exists in Sardinia, some with really high towers originally going up to 26-30 meters.
sard_nuraghe.jpg

Nuraghe%20Serbissi.JPG

NuragheLosa027a.jpg

NURAGHE%20BARUMINI.jpg

_wsb_508x348_sar_Nuraghe_Losa.jpg

Santu_Antine_Nuraghe_1.jpg

37720_410260387126_571007126_4934761_6364879_n.jpg

The ceiling of a nuraghe:
NuragheLosa009.jpg

Due to the fact that there is not much archeological digging at all, thanks to the Italy that is trying to oppress the Sardinian people in all ways, on of them by taking away their history, there is not much that people knows about the Nuragic civilization. According to the book The Nuragic Civilization by Paolo Melis, these are the few things that we know:

The origins of the nuragic peoples did not come from abroad but were the indigenous Sardinians who had in previous ages (the Neolithic and Chalcolithic) created the great prenuragic cultures and who now, following the social and economic transformations made possible by the discovery and use of metals, especially bronze, had evolved towards more complex forms of social organization which led to the creation of an original form of architecture: it is the period of which in Western and Mediterranean Europe is known as 'proto-history'. The nuragic civilization proper began developing in the final period of the so-called 'Bonnannaro Phase', the cultural aspect of the earliest Bronze Age mostly characterized by the development of megalithic graves, Tomba di giganti or giants tomb. The first phase, known as Nuragic I (1700-1500 BC), saw the emerging of the main features of this civilization; between the end of the Early Bronze Age and the beginning of the Middle Bronce age the first proto-nuraghi were built. The proto-nuraghi differ from the classical ones: more squat and with irregular floor plans, and they do not possess the large circular chamber that is typical of nuraghi.

It is stated that the nuraghi are not present in any other area in the Mediterranean, exept for more or less far-removed cousins like the Mycenaean tholoi or the Corsican torre, the talajots of the Balearic Isles, the Sesi of Pantelleria, the Brochs of Scotland and so on. These are usually more simpler constructions and are even later then the nuraghi - perhaps with the sole exception of the Corsican torre that was most probable inspired by the nuraghe.

Every nuragic community conducted its life within the confines of its own cantonal lands, which was guarded and defended by a closeknit system of nuraghi against the raids or perhaps expension of neighbouring tribes. However, relations with other groups must have been fairly close, not only because of issues connencted with trade and the circulation of goods (especially metals), but also for religious reasons with so called sanctuary villages.
  Except for the nuraghi, which were used by a few hegemonic families within the community in the case of the more or less large and important fortresses, most nuragic people lived in the villages of more or less simple and numerous huts: in some cases up to several hundred, but the very few settlements excavated up to now (Su Nuraxi and Barumini to mention two) gives us the erroneous idea that they were of fairly modest size owing to the partial nature of the excavations and the total destruction of large areas over the centuries. The huts were modest dwellings made of stone with a roof usually made of trunks and branches. The walls inside were often plastered with mud or clay and sometimes insulated with cork. During the final stages of the Nuragic cilivization these huts developed into a more sophisticated type of hut.
  Within the villages, the huts are arranged haphazardly and no large public square or any sort of common area has ever been found. At most there could have been a sort of 'patio' for the dwellings of a single family group or clan. No streets, common wells or springs, no watering throughs or gutters have been found, except those belonging to the final stage. In some villages they had a common pen, perhaps used for trading.
  The only 'public' buildings in the villages were the nuraghi themselves and the so-called meeting huts which were used for meetings in the community or with the chiefs or neughbouring tribes, and where in general important decisions concerning the community were made.

63480028_45aa471eaa.jpg

sardegna1.gif

Tomba_dei_giganti_osono_triei.jpg

The nuragic religion was the cult of the dead and beliefs connected with life. The religious architecture is represented mostly by sacred wells and springs: constructions connected with the animistic cult of water. The water was venerated mostly as a precious liquid flowing from Mother Earth, the mother of all living creatures, no longer portrayed in the form of a woman as in prenuragic times, but still strongly present in the beliefs or nuragic peoples. Another mention of this female divinity, creator and wet nurse, can be seen in the betyls with mammalian bosses. Around the temples they usually hade so called sacred villages, in these places there were religious celebrations that lasted several days and, under the aegis of the divinity of the sanctuary, the different tribes, putting aside for the moment their disputes and resentments, met for religious celebrations, but also to reach important political agreements and exchange goods.

pozzo_02.jpg

SCristina001.jpg

Serri001a.jpg

42311011_fb3fc4af4f.jpg

Tomba_di_Tamuli%28Macomer%29.jpg

The nuragic civilization made different bronze and stone statuettes, designs on pottery, and bread stamps. The bronze statuettes are usually made in order to sacrifice, either for thanking or wishing, giving courage infor certian ordeals. The statuettes shows both men and women, which is a sign that women did have a good position in society, it is also speculated that the women had a religious role. Also boats are depicted, and it is believed that the nuragic were seafaring people, perhaps even the infamous so called sea people or Shardana.

Bronzetto_sardo_-_guerrieo_nuragico-A.JPG

sbron670.jpg

240px-bronzetto_sardo_1.jpg

nur4.jpg

2301716.jpeg

bronzetto3.jpg

nave_resole_padria.jpg

How come you never hear about the Nuragic civilization? Have you heard about it before?

Wow, fascinating! I had never heard of these people before either, but judging by those pictures alone they were very significant. The structures are impressive in size, and they seem to be well preserved. The first statuette makes me think they were aliens though  :grin:

I think I've seen some of their statues in a thread in the Europa Barbarorum II dev forum - I believe someone suggested a Sardinian troop with a funny looking mask and horned helmet.

Interesting stuff, the monuments definitely remind me of both brochs and mycenean stuff.

It has definately fascinated me for some period of time now, and I have started to go through visiting all of the big nuraghes. So far I've visited Torralba and Losa, you can see the nuraghes all over the island.

Merlkir said:
I think I've seen some of their statues in a thread in the Europa Barbarorum II dev forum - I believe someone suggested a Sardinian troop with a funny looking mask and horned helmet.

Yeah! That troop is in EB 1.2 too. I've seen some of their description, "warriors from the hills of Sardinia". They're called Nuragic Warriors.

And to the thread, I think I've heard something about them, but I could say only that they are from Sardinia, not anything deeper about them. Thanks for your article!

Woah damn, that definitely looks interesting. :shock: Especially the bit about the Sea people sounds interesting.

I remember reading about this civilization once, but I think that also shows how often they are overlooked....that I only read of them once.  I wouldn't be surprised if a reason for them not being mentioned is that it doesn't fit the clean flow of history our schools have clung to.  By this I mean the idea that European history stems from Greece, then Rome (with a small smattering of Etruscan influence), and then later Celtic and Germanic influences.  The reality is that there are many European cultures that are simply not discussed.  The Nordic Bronze Age for example.

Skot the Sanguine said:
I remember reading about this civilization once, but I think that also shows how often they are overlooked....that I only read of them once.  I wouldn't be surprised if a reason for them not being mentioned is that it doesn't fit the clean flow of history our schools have clung to.  By this I mean the idea that European history stems from Greece, then Rome (with a small smattering of Etruscan influence), and then later Celtic and Germanic influences.  The reality is that there are many European cultures that are simply not discussed.  The Nordic Bronze Age for example.
We briefly went over the Nordic Bronze Age in school, altough this might be because of me actually living in the area of which it concerns, but the civilization that existed here is no were as grand as the Nuragic one. The complexity of the buildings shows that.

Maybe so, but most sources one reads would suggest that northern Europe is in the dark until the Roman legions come within close enough proximity to diffuse some culture on them.  The reality is that there was a vibrant culture centuries earlier that slid into a temporary dark age until roughly the time of the Romans.

I don't know enough about this culture to make any finite statements on it, but I just want to point out that somewhat complex stone buildings don't necessarily equate a more advanced culture.  For example some areas might find stone to be an impractical resource compared to other resources in the area.  Conversely, the stone ruins in the Orkney Islands are notable but not necessarily made by a complex society.

I don't know if I've "studied" them at school because I'm italian or if you've some course in your schools who teach you the same things...

anyway, also in italy the studies about them at school are not so deep...we study the structure of the nuraghi for the art's history lesson, and i believe we also studied them in the italian cultures before the rome taking of the power in history, but i'm not really sure...

you see...in history i should have studied them 4 years ago, and in art i've done them at the beginning of the last year... :smile:

anyway i think that you bulle know a lot more than many other people, even here in italy

Skot the Sanguine said:
Maybe so, but most sources one reads would suggest that northern Europe is in the dark until the Roman legions come within close enough proximity to diffuse some culture on them.  The reality is that there was a vibrant culture centuries earlier that slid into a temporary dark age until roughly the time of the Romans.

I don't know enough about this culture to make any finite statements on it, but I just want to point out that somewhat complex stone buildings don't necessarily equate a more advanced culture.  For example some areas might find stone to be an impractical resource compared to other resources in the area.  Conversely, the stone ruins in the Orkney Islands are notable but not necessarily made by a complex society.
The buildings are really complex, and the ceilings and roofs are vaulted, something that is really advanced. If you look at the roof pictures you see how it's all being held together, in many of the nuraghes they also have several floors, and on each floor they have a vaulted roof. Take for an example nuraghe Santu Antine in Torralba, there the main tower had over three floors, altough only the three floors exist today, and every room had a vaulted ceiling. This is very advanced at this time. Everytime I compare the nordic culture with the nuragic one, I have to admit it, I stand in awe at the nuragic one.

But what makes me wonder is also, why did they disappear? When the romans came to Sardinia the nuraghes had been deserted for hundreds of years already.

Vaulting and other architectural advances do support them being more advanced.

The reason for their disappearance is probably due to the typical big three:  war, famine, migration.  I am curious how dependent they were on trade and how much contact they had with other cultures.  Also, you mention they died out centuries before the Romans, but is there any idea around when?  Having a time frame for their disappearance might hint at the reason for it (for example if they were purely a Bronze Age culture they probably were not in conflict with the Carthaginians).

Here is an idea, maybe they were the infamous "Sea Peoples"  :lol:

Skot the Sanguine said:
Vaulting and other architectural advances do support them being more advanced.

The reason for their disappearance is probably due to the typical big three:  war, famine, migration.  I am curious how dependent they were on trade and how much contact they had with other cultures.  Also, you mention they died out centuries before the Romans, but is there any idea around when?  Having a time frame for their disappearance might hint at the reason for it (for example if they were purely a Bronze Age culture they probably were not in conflict with the Carthaginians).

Here is an idea, maybe they were the infamous "Sea Peoples"  :lol:
There is some speculation about them being the sea peoples already, I've written about this in the first post, but then there is not enough evidence to support this. They disappeared around the same time that the Etruscans started their civilization in the mainland, and it is speculated that they are the same people but the genetics doesn't add up.

Wow, I completely overlooked that mention on the first post.  As far as I am aware though, most decent evidence leans the Sea Peoples to being possibly Mycenaean Greek.  I know one person, who is pretty well learned on them, believes it to be the case as well.  It would also explain why the Phillistines (who supposedly were Sea Peoples stock) had some similarities to Mycenaean culture.  He also thinks that the whole Trojan war story is actually more about the downfall of the Hittites (who fell due to the Sea Peoples) and not about a specific city.  That is speculation though.

As for the Etruscan connection, I wondered that before as well.  You mention the genetics does not match up, how do we know this though?  Presumably a mass migration might be easier to distinguish genetically, but what if it was the typical advanced or powerful minority migrating to and ruling over the local majority?

Back
Top Bottom