The new companion system is a stepdown, here's why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Is it though? The only difference is that instead of looking for a "Jeremus", you look for a "random dude that is a healer no. 230". Yes, after a few campaigns in Warband you would figure out which companions suit you best and pick those... And it's in no way different in Bannerlord, where after a few campaigns you know which companion templates are useless and do not bother to pick those.
+
in Bannerlord I doesn´t always find a good Healer or Engineer (which is still useless at the moment but still). Maybe I´m just unlucky though.

I agree with the OP. I do hope they'll re-write the companions and actually make them unique and give them personal relationships with characters in the game based on their own personal history and behaviour. Would make them feel a lot more real. I'm guessing they are just place-holders until TW finish building the game, if not... that's kinda sad.

I also don't want to rely on Mods to "fix" this game. I paid for a TW game, not a Bethesda game... don't make a game I've waited 12 years for into half-built pile of garbage that modders have to patch up to make it playable and fun. Expected a lot more than this.

Its also not binary - we can have distinct backround written companions as well as something like the Distinguished Service - great mod btw.
Since you have been in the writing of PoP, how do you think mods will handle this mechanics? Since the lore written in these random characters are based on that world that would mean modders would have to write a lot of stories from scratch if they want to make a total conversion, and that sounds like a lot of work

Since you have been in the writing of PoP, how do you think mods will handle this mechanics? Since the lore written in these random characters are based on that world that would mean modders would have to write a lot of stories from scratch if they want to make a total conversion, and that sounds like a lot of work

Yes it was quite a bit of work - i havent been a part of that team since I believe MadVader took over so im not sure how they do it now. Not really sure how to answer your question -i guess each mod determines how faithful a companion system they want to set up -im sure the code could be hacked to get rid of the random element and develop consistent companion backrounds but to what extent we'll all have to wait and find out.

Don't touch my random companions! They are valuable allies to me now and everytime one of them dies I really get sad. Not as much as when my wife dies (Lost 2 in the last campaign) , but still really get sad. When my healer died part of me died together. And healing is pretty crap now compared to warband. But still good to have. Specially losing a full set of tier 6 armor hurts a LOT. And my next wife will be a governor and NEVER leaves town.

You guys are lucky. I have been trying to get a couple of trading characters off the ground and in my last play through I didn't have a single trading companion in the pool. I created a new character and no trading companions again.

I like the idea of random companions (with some improvements to skills applicable to role), with some unique companions available through quests.

You guys are lucky. I have been trying to get a couple of trading characters off the ground and in my last play through I didn't have a single trading companion in the pool. I created a new character and no trading companions again.
New ones wanderers spawn in over the course of a game, so you don't really need to restart unless you really need a particular companion type right away. They'll all spawn eventually.

Back
Top Bottom