The Mariner's Shanty

Users who are viewing this thread

I started to feel a little nauseated when speeding around in a motorboat through pretty choppy waters (I felt my guts "slam" down every few seconds) getting some airtime. It wasn't that bad though. I must be lucky since I've spent relatively little time on ships yet seem to take it well.

Captain Teo "Buns of Steel" Fish said:
Aaaah. Nice! Most boats up here are rigged to use primarily mainsail, with just a smaller foresail that goes back to about the main mast for some reason.
The greatest thing about the mainsail is that it does not flicker in a very weak or no wind so even when there is no wind and you have your engine on you can have the main sail deployed and enjoy the right of way against ships with no sails without looking like an idiot who uses sails in no wind  :lol:

Absolutely. We kept it up most of the trip southwards from Lofoten last year for exactly that reason. Also, you don't have to frantically **** about if the wind suddenly turns.

Well, you sometimes have to have yard ropes rather loose. To rewrite your sentence - that's just if some inexperienced idiot forgot to shout ... I have no idea what that command is in English, actually ... whatever that is that you shout when the wind direction changes from left to right

So...  very important question, has anyone sighted any mermaids recently?  Are they actually hot?  Anyone taken any page 3 pics?  Also how does one actually...  never mind....

Last I've been on a boat was about a week ago on our honeymoon to Iceland, with a "silent" whale watching tour. Loved it, with all the wind and the waves (and the birds and a few whales). ^^
Too bad my husband doesn't like water/boats very much, otherwise I might want to spend all our vacations on boat trips. :grin: But he didn't even like the few days of canoeing tour we tried once, while I've done one every year in my teenage years.
That's all I have to add to the discussion I guess.

I love a good boat but very rarely get the chance. The canals near my house are always filled with people in little motorboats drinking prosecco and looking fashionable, but I'm not sure I trust the cleanliness of the canals enough for that.

Canals in Britain are generally more sewage than water. I used to swim in them when we went on narrow boat vacations when I was a kid. And when I showered afterwards I was covered in a coating of brown slime. Mum used to say it I got any on my mouth we'd have to go to the A&E. But I suppose that was just hyperbole to let me know exactly how dirty it was.

They did. They stopped drinking the bloody filth at least.

FYI: Living on a boat when it's 35 pissig degrees outside and your cooler breaks is slightly unfun. I can live without hot water just fine. Living without cold water is pure torture. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom