The Last Days v2.4 (for .808) ---Next Release Date Unknown!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
FleshyStarfish said:
Maybe after its released, you will still consider making TLD open-source?  I can see all sorts of versions coming out like the Simarilion time period, a post-Third Age time and some strange spin-offs like "The Last Gays."

FS

I don't see the merit of making it open-source. It would only spawn an array of mediocre mods using the awesome models and scenes of TLD. Anybody with half a braincell will try to use it for something LOTR-ish, spoiling the uniqueness of TLD. I don't think that's what the Taleworlds community needs.

What could be done though (if the modders felt like it after they finish TLD), is that the source could be given only to trusted groups of modders who have a quality modding portfolio and who are enthusiastic about making a true-to-the-books spin-off mod happen.
But that's all crazy talk, of course.

I agree with Bunduqdari, I can see too a confusing, badly-done group of mini-mods, and none of them finished, while old TLD members quit modding in disgust :smile:.
It's better for the future of the mod to accept new members with good ideas for spin-offs (and proven modding skills) directly into the TLD team, which changes every year anyway and will continue to change. That's not crazy talk, but it's post-release talk.

From the opening post it seemed this is just an update for 1.011, any chance of middle Earth coming to warband any time soon?

Sadly for some, no Warband port anytime in the near future. I believe even after a release, TLD will continue to be improved for 1.011 only. So keep that 1.011 where you can find it.

Bunduqdari said:
FleshyStarfish said:
Maybe after its released, you will still consider making TLD open-source?  I can see all sorts of versions coming out like the Simarilion time period, a post-Third Age time and some strange spin-offs like "The Last Gays."

FS

I don't see the merit of making it open-source. It would only spawn an array of mediocre mods using the awesome models and scenes of TLD. Anybody with half a braincell will try to use it for something LOTR-ish, spoiling the uniqueness of TLD. I don't think that's what the Taleworlds community needs.

What could be done though (if the modders felt like it after they finish TLD), is that the source could be given only to trusted groups of modders who have a quality modding portfolio and who are enthusiastic about making a true-to-the-books spin-off mod happen.
But that's all crazy talk, of course.

You could also decide to only download TLD.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about terrible mods and allow for other ideas to flow in the Lord of the Rings community.  Or not.

On the other hand, it seems as if Merlkir agrees, so maybe the team will not make it open source after all...

FS

FleshyStarfish said:
[On the other hand, it seems as if Merlkir agrees, so maybe the team will not make it open source after all...
I suspect you did not read Merl's post with enough attention :smile:
AW's wish kind of overrides our own considerations, I guess. But the exact point in time when it will go open, surely does not coincide with release. If it goes open, it goes when we are happy with the current state, and no major features to add. And we have quite a bit of ideas, implementation of which was decided to be postponed to speed up initial release.

MadVader said:
Sadly for some, no Warband port anytime in the near future.
There will be a lot of bugfixing after release, so our hands will be pretty busy.
And, given MV is the only guy in a team with prior experience of porting a major mod from MB to WB, you can trust him that it's a serious business, not just compiling code in WB module system.

But I still hope we can get some major outside help from experienced modders for just the porting task.

GetAssista said:
FleshyStarfish said:
[On the other hand, it seems as if Merlkir agrees, so maybe the team will not make it open source after all...
I suspect you did not read Merl's post with enough attention :smile:
AW's wish kind of overrides our own considerations, I guess. But the exact point in time when it will go open, surely does not coincide with release. If it goes open, it goes when we are happy with the current state, and no major features to add. And we have quite a bit of ideas, implementation of which was decided to be postponed to speed up initial release.

Indeed, you are correct.  :wink:  I understood it as AW's wish, but since he's not around anymore that might not be the current team's view.  I'm really glad to hear that I misunderstood. 

Also, great to hear about the speed up on the release.

Thanks,

FS

No need for guessing, I think we will let everyone know about a month before releasing and we are not there yet. There is a steady progress towards a release and things get done.
There's a fair chance of releasing just before the summer if we keep the current pace. *takes cover before TLD team members start throwing stones*

MadVader said:
No need for guessing, I think we will let everyone know about a month before releasing and we are not there yet. There is a steady progress towards a release and things get done.
There's a fair chance of releasing just before the summer if we keep the current pace. *takes cover before TLD team members start throwing stones*

I like you. 

MadVader said:

This just made my day.  :grin:
Even if it's not exact, at least it's getting closer. Just let us know when we need to start lighting the beacons of Gondor.

Bolkonsky said:
MadVader said:

I like you.

This. I also like all things Vader, so rock on dude :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom