The cav parking issue

Users who are viewing this thread

For this to be effective, it requires me to rambo too. Then it's 2 idiots running to eachothers' spawns to kill the other player's cav bots. I can already picture it in my mind and it's literally the furthest thing I can imagine from the point of Captain.

You mean as in all troops or cav to make it more viable to be used as a squad? To both I'd say no.
- Increasing all units' sizes wouldn't help because it's might be even harder for captains to protect their troops, especially archers, because they would have a wider line.
- For the rambo cav it'd be just more respawns and the mere thought of that makes me puke in my mouth.

I think one of the two good solutions right now is to include the good old anti-rambo script to Captain. We had this in NW and some custom servers. It makes you deal no damage when you're too far away from your squad. It still leaves you able to "scout" (which is apparently what a lot of "pro" rambo players say they are doing), but makes you unable to abuse AI without taking any risks.
The other solution (preferably added with the first one) is to make horses less tanky so they don't tank at least 10 shots from longbows before going down, and make AI ranged fire as a squad smarter, so they wouldn't focus only the one cav troop in front instead of the whole squad and to make them better at leading shots.
it doesnt matter if you park 8 units but if you park 30 cav in the back of the map your team will lose them in the fight because more damage output will be needed.

For this to be effective, it requires me to rambo too. Then it's 2 idiots running to eachothers' spawns to kill the other player's cav bots. I can already picture it in my mind and it's literally the furthest thing I can imagine from the point of Captain.

You mean as in all troops or cav to make it more viable to be used as a squad? To both I'd say no.
- Increasing all units' sizes wouldn't help because it's might be even harder for captains to protect their troops, especially archers, because they would have a wider line.
- For the rambo cav it'd be just more respawns and the mere thought of that makes me puke in my mouth.

I think one of the two good solutions right now is to include the good old anti-rambo script to Captain. We had this in NW and some custom servers. It makes you deal no damage when you're too far away from your squad. It still leaves you able to "scout" (which is apparently what a lot of "pro" rambo players say they are doing), but makes you unable to abuse AI without taking any risks.
The other solution (preferably added with the first one) is to make horses less tanky so they don't tank at least 10 shots from longbows before going down, and make AI ranged fire as a squad smarter, so they wouldn't focus only the one cav troop in front instead of the whole squad and to make them better at leading shots.
There's a solution to this. Make cav AI better, and increase cav numbers. After that, make it so the captain can't go too far from the cav.

There is value in parking during early game standoffs that should not be considered bad play. For instance if your want to hide your cav behind a building at B, you can ride out and they will not follow. But your cav are still in the areas the fight is likely to go down.

So I still think if you have an exclusion zone in each map at the outer areas where If your park there your cav will auto follow you after x seconds. So you can still park cav indefinitely on the map, but only in areas that are obvious and will be dangerous to do so. Exclusion zone based on flags in play.

Sometimes your want to park your cav near the enemy to draw the attention of a unit or 2 away from their army formation and towards your park. I don't see anything wrong with that. And if your solo caving during this further away but in sight I also see nothing wrong with that

Last edited:
No, bring your bots to kill them quickly. You can temporarily dismount your cav.

There is value in parking during early game standoffs that should not be considered bad play. For instance if your want to hide your cav behind a building at B, you can ride out and they will not follow. But your cav are still in the areas the fight is likely to go down.

So I still think if you have an exclusion zone in each map at the outer areas where If your park there your cav will auto follow you after x seconds. So you can still park cav indefinitely on the map, but only in areas that are obvious and will be dangerous to do so. Exclusion zone based on flags in play.

Sometimes your want to park your cav near the enemy to draw the attention of a unit or 2 away from their army formation and towards your park. I don't see anything wrong with that. And if your solo caving during this further away but in sight I also see nothing wrong with that
I'd honestly have a circle around the captain rather than a circle around the map. This encourages the player to at least keep the cab near by. The circle doesn't have to be small, but imagine if it was, say, 1/3 of the map. That would remedy this problem a lot already.

There's a solution to this. Make cav AI better, and increase cav numbers. After that, make it so the captain can't go too far from the cav.
How far are we talking about? I sometimes like to tell my men to capture A on Jawwali while I capture B. If they make a distance to where you can't leave your men should they do that to other classes as well?

I think I mentioned it somewhere before. 1/3 of the the bigger maps would be sufficient imo. I'd honestly straight up add this for all classes.

How far are we talking about? I sometimes like to tell my men to capture A on Jawwali while I capture B. If they make a distance to where you can't leave your men should they do that to other classes as well?
They are really important considerations to make! Hopefully TW is thinking about all these things when / if considering a solution

I'd honestly have a circle around the captain rather than a circle around the map. This encourages the player to at least keep the cab near by. The circle doesn't have to be small, but imagine if it was, say, 1/3 of the map. That would remedy this problem a lot already.
That sounds pretty good tbh

Collection of solutions for rambo cav:

1. Make the captain do no damage when too far from his squad (like in Warband custom games and NW)
2. Have all captains have something along the line of 1-3 respawns. As an infantry captain, if you die in an engagement, a lot of your troops probably will too, so it won't be such a change. As archers you just have to be a bit more careful (balanced with having cav rambo less), as cav this will fix that dumb s*** called ramboing.

3. New suggestion, (might make a thread about it) unit morale: Each time the captain dies, a % of your starting troops start running away (like in SP) and desert your unit. Increasing with every time you die. I would say about 20% of starting troops running away would be a good idea. That would mean about 3 when dying as heavy infantry, 5 when talking about peasants and 2 when it's heavy cavalry like knights and cataphracts. Also makes sense for more "professional" troops to have less soldiers leaving at a time than say, peasants, but not the point though.

4. Force the bots to follow the captain when left too far behind (not desireable and would probably still not fix the problem).

I would honestly like the idea of having 2. and 3. combined.

1. Make the captain do no damage when too far from his squad (like in Warband custom games and NW)
2. Have all captains have something along the line of 1-3 respawns. As an infantry captain, if you die in an engagement, a lot of your troops probably will too, so it won't be such a change. As archers you just have to be a bit more careful (balanced with having cav rambo less), as cav this will fix that dumb s*** called ramboing.

3. New suggestion, (might make a thread about it) unit morale: Each time the captain dies, a % of your starting troops start running away (like in SP) and desert your unit. Increasing with every time you die. I would say about 20% of starting troops running away would be a good idea. That would mean about 3 when dying as heavy infantry, 5 when talking about peasants and 2 when it's heavy cavalry like knights and cataphracts. Also makes sense for more "professional" troops to have less soldiers leaving at a time than say, peasants, but not the point though.

4. Force the bots to follow the captain when left too far behind (not desireable and would probably still not fix the problem).

I do not like any of the solutions 1.-3., but I guess to each their own.

I think a more effective way of implementing number 4. would be to have the units automatically charge if left too far behind.

Correct me if I am not understanding your idea, but ifi am...

As a bad ping player, having only a few lives as the captain would be too brutal. It would also really really hurt new players learning the ropes. In fact a captain only having x lives would further benefit solo cav players, as they can do fly by kills on captains fairly easily. It would become the new strategy. This can't be a solution

As a bad ping player, having only a few lives as the captain would be too brutal. It would also really really hurt new players learning the ropes. In fact a captain only having x lives would further benefit solo cav players, as they can do fly by kills on captains fairly easily. It would become the new strategy. This can't be a solution
I love it when I die only to respawn 7 times because I'm killed by an AI before I even have a chance to move.

I do not like any of the solutions 1.-3., but I guess to each their own.

I think a more effective way of implementing number 4. would be to have the units automatically charge if left too far behind.
I believe that would be undone by just spamming the command "hold current position" (or something like that) or "follow me" every now and then.

It's actually way harder for a rambo cav to kill enemy players than AI troops. As a captain you can always block with a shield or dodge a couch or run between your troops to the opposite side of your line. If you're not completely oblivious to the enemy rambo, you can 90% of the time avoid being killed by him. I really think from what I've seen that the rambo cav would be by far most hurt by this.
Let's say your whole team of 3 infantry, 2 archers and 1 cav is in the same place. You probably have at least roughly 75 troops around you (some probably wielding spears), not counting the cav. It's pretty damn hard for this single rambo cav to get that one single captain from the middle of all those 70 AI troops.

It's actually way harder for a rambo cav to kill enemy players than AI troops.
I find this to be the opposite. The majority of players in captain (NA) are fresh off the boat from single player and don't know how to time attacks against a player. AI troops know how to time pikes and spears properly when in line formation and on charge.

I find this to be the opposite. The majority of players in captain (NA) are fresh off the boat from single player and don't know how to time attacks against a player. AI troops know how to time pikes and spears properly when in line formation and on charge.
Well if that's the case... honestly it's an issue of just, as much as I hate to say this, they have to git gud.
Learning to avoid getting hit by cav, especially in a blob of (possibly spear) infantry is something that's just absolutely essential. Making Bannerlord so noob friendly that you don't even have to know how to hit with a spear is just absurd and will make the veteran fanbase just completely abandon the game. And telling people to git gud enough to know how to poke with a spear isn't exactly the same as let's say, telling them they have to hit a perfect chamber block every time. It's just one of the essentials in player skill.

I believe that would be undone by just spamming the command "hold current position" (or something like that) or "follow me" every now and then.

It's actually way harder for a rambo cav to kill enemy players than AI troops. As a captain you can always block with a shield or dodge a couch or run between your troops to the opposite side of your line. If you're not completely oblivious to the enemy rambo, you can 90% of the time avoid being killed by him. I really think from what I've seen that the rambo cav would be by far most hurt by this.
Let's say your whole team of 3 infantry, 2 archers and 1 cav is in the same place. You probably have at least roughly 75 troops around you (some probably wielding spears), not counting the cav. It's pretty damn hard for this single rambo cav to get that one single captain from the middle of all those 70 AI troops.
3 captain lives or whatever is a bad idea. There are much better options that people have offered up, I believe. There are so many circumstances where the army as you described is not all standing around waiting to be your protective blanket from the rambo cav player. Having incentive to hide your captain (player) in this game is kind of silly. I can only imagine how long a new player would last after trying 3 rounds only to be picked out every round. On paper the idea may seem sound, but it isn't going to fly on the actual field.

I am able to play this game mode freely with terrible ping and fairly often top the score charts because there is not some silly arbitrary restriction like 3 deaths holding me back from playing my way. The idea you suggest targets and restricts every player out there not just the cav players, it's not a great idea even though on paper it may lessen the frequency of solo cav killing.

Creating a maximum distance between cav units and cav captain also does the same thing but doesn't mess up every other non cav players game.

Also see super jew's post above about being kill chained by ai as you select a new captain from your troops after death in the middle of a big mele fight

Last edited:
3 captain lives or whatever is a bad idea. There are much better options that people have offered up, I believe. There are so many circumstances where the army as you described is not all standing around waiting to be your protective blanket from the rambo cav player. Having incentive to hide your captain (player) in this game is kind of silly. I can only imagine how long a new player would last after trying 3 rounds only to be picked out every round. On paper the idea may seem sound, but it isn't going to fly on the actual field.

I am able to play this game mode freely with terrible ping and fairly often top the score charts because there is not some silly arbitrary restriction like 3 deaths holding me back from playing my way. The idea you suggest targets and restricts every player out there not just the cav players, it's not a great idea even though on paper it may lessen the frequency of solo cav killing.

Creating a maximum distance between cav units and cav captain also does the same thing but doesn't mess up every other non cav players game.

Also see super jew's post above about being kill chained by ai as you select a new captain from your troops after death in the middle of a big mele fight
Yeah, it is an interesting thought, but in general this just doesn't work design-wise. You are intended to die a lot lol.

Ah, alternatively, you could impose a harsher respawn time penalty the further away you were from your troops when you died.
If you were off ****ing around on the other side of the map, they may not even know you're dead for a good 30 seconds, not sure how they currently get the psychic message to gallop out of the woods alone now.
That would help with both AI kiting and Rambo cavving.
If you died shoulder to shoulder with your troops, the next in command saw it and can immediately take over.
Could be called "Good Cohesion" for when you are close or "Poor Cohesion" when you're too far away for the next in command to take over.

I laughed so much watching the "Circle Syndrome" guys staying at the flag.
You have to F1,F3 so they at least start chasing the enemy, not just standing there and dying like sheep...

Back
Top Bottom