The Anime/Manga Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

4GJsb.png

Front mission based manga. I like how it's actually gritty (executions, desecration and general post conflict rape, just like how they do it here) compared to how toned down and child friendly Front Mission Evolved was. The original was a tactical RPG, so any grittiness in it would had been overlooked by the younger me.

Skyrage said:
Nozoki Ana - borderline straight hentai, but it's quite nicely drawn and is somewhat amusing.
Ugh. Yup, total hentai that. I've read some of it, but it's just... Hentai ain't my cup o' tea.

Rosario + Vampire - high fanservice level, but also a story that steadily goes from comedy into darkness.
Following that one as well. Well, the above not so much for the fanservice as for the story and my favourite character.

Historie - like mentioned before, it is a very nice history-based story.
Thank you for showing me that. It's awesome! Good to see a manga set in the period of Alexander the great.

Anyone else read Mama wa Doukyuusei? I find it quite alright, though at times it borders to hentai.

Try Battle Royale.

Story probably aint that great- a class of ...was it 10th graders? ...are kidnapped by the government and made to fight each other to death on an island. And everyone gets random weapons from darts to grenades. It`s based on a book, which I own, but the book is nowhere as good as the manga. Surprisingly the manga has a lot more backstory. In the book you didnt get to really know any of the characters, but in the manga, you will get to know pretty much all of the kids ( before they die) and thats really awesome.

Wanted to post about the front mission manga too, it looks promising.

Whoa heads dangling off a wanzer.

I hate the battle royale manga, if you are reading the english translation the characters are given funny accents. That aside, they tried to spice the manga up with too much action/sex/violence and its rather ridiculous. Unnecessary plot changes are made to accomodate for that, the villain is powered up into a superhuman killer... It's pretty over-the-top silly.

Skyrage said:
Watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica relatively recently too and was rather dumbstruck with how good it was. Then again I am a bit of a sucker for darker themes I guess alongside comedy...

I know what you mean. When I first saw it I did not expect it to be as dark as it was, totally surprised me.

dustbiter said:
Wanted to post about the front mission manga too, it looks promising.

Whoa heads dangling off a wanzer.

Unnecessary plot changes are made to accomodate for that, the villain is powered up into a superhuman killer... It's pretty over-the-top silly.
Yeah, that part I hated. When they went too over the top. Everything was cool until it turned into a regular stupid battle manga. At that point I even considered abandoning the series. But still, it was better than the book, imo.

Thoughts on some of the manga mentioned
Gamble Fish - Why is the villain a pointy ear goblin? Rather dramatic too. Fairly entertaining manga but I lost interest in it.
Historie - Currently moving at a really slow pace now, very good in the early chapters. Oh yeah, read Parasyte by the same artist.
History's strongest disciple Kenichi - Why is the main character's friend a pointy ear goblin? Or vulcan... Superhuman martial arts fantasy? I prefer more realistic martial arts manga. There's Shamo, Teppu, Holyland, that karate one is okay... title has minobu I think, I stopped following that.
Hajime no Ippo - Like Dragonball Z. Lol Ippo charging his power level for a one-hit KO. Current match involves two speed boxers moving so fast they are hard to follow.
GE - Yeah its pretty draggy and boring currently. The guy should stick with Shou, while Yuki should go back to her ex(it's a misunderstanding for sure), happy ending at that, but nope odds are the guy's going to end up with Yuki.
Yankee-kun to Megane-Chan - Good comedy at times, terrible for the fight scenes.
Claymore - Lost interest... fairly late in the manga so it's not that bad.

Some manga I read now-
Fujimura-kun Meitsu - Gag comedy, a fairly normal guy with a small harem after him.
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to - Comedy about a manga artist who loves to draw panties.

Blood and steel - The title's quite different from the original chinese title... By a hong kong studio, art got me collecting this series. Fighting and plot setting up more fights.
Teppu - Female MMA. Lack of fanservice. Also slow updates at about 2 months per chapter following the raw, with scanlation pace failing to catch up.
All rounder Meguru - MMA fights. Artist did Eden ~ It's an endless world! I think he said he wanted to do an old fashioned story about hard work and perserverance in sport.

dustbiter said:
I prefer more realistic martial arts manga. There's Shamo
Are you serious? I imagine you just started Shamo, right? You havent read up to that part where he encounters that monkey dude. Shamo....went over the top. At first it was really awesome, realistic as you said. Then....it just went mad. **** you would see in Naruto. And then...The guy is weaker than a nerd who plays WoW 20hours per day. Like wtf. I stopped reading at that point. I imagine I will have to start reading it again though. Thanks for reminding me the name.

Have you read Sun ken Rock?

I'm serious about Shamo. Read it long ago, not following it now. They are pretending they never did the China part and now the main character is into MMA as well. I can't stand the goody messiah character too. Besides that it's fine before the late parts.

I couldn't get into Sun Ken Rock. Couldn't get deep into the first chapter. I'm like that with some manga.

dustbiter said:
I'm serious about Shamo. Read it long ago, not following it now. They are pretending they never did the China part and now the main character is into MMA as well. I can't stand the goody messiah character too. Besides that it's fine before the late parts.

I couldn't get into Sun Ken Rock. Couldn't get deep into the first chapter. I'm like that with some manga.

Yeah....Shamo  was sooo awesome before the China part. Hate the part after China as well. Why did the author think it was a good idea to change everything. Shamo was special because the main character wasn`t a character most people would agree with, he wasnt morally good. And it was realistic, not waht you usually find.

I havent gotten far with Sun ken Rock either. A few chapters. Seemed readable, just havent gotten around to  that yet.

dustbiter said:
Thoughts on some of the manga mentioned
Gamble Fish - Why is the villain a pointy ear goblin? Rather dramatic too. Fairly entertaining manga but I lost interest in it.
Historie - Currently moving at a really slow pace now, very good in the early chapters. Oh yeah, read Parasyte by the same artist.
History's strongest disciple Kenichi - Why is the main character's friend a pointy ear goblin? Or vulcan... Superhuman martial arts fantasy? I prefer more realistic martial arts manga. There's Shamo, Teppu, Holyland, that karate one is okay... title has minobu I think, I stopped following that.
Hajime no Ippo - Like Dragonball Z. Lol Ippo charging his power level for a one-hit KO. Current match involves two speed boxers moving so fast they are hard to follow.
GE - Yeah its pretty draggy and boring currently. The guy should stick with Shou, while Yuki should go back to her ex(it's a misunderstanding for sure), happy ending at that, but nope odds are the guy's going to end up with Yuki.
Yankee-kun to Megane-Chan - Good comedy at times, terrible for the fight scenes.
Claymore - Lost interest... fairly late in the manga so it's not that bad.

Some manga I read now-
Fujimura-kun Meitsu - Gag comedy, a fairly normal guy with a small harem after him.
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to - Comedy about a manga artist who loves to draw panties.

Blood and steel - The title's quite different from the original chinese title... By a hong kong studio, art got me collecting this series. Fighting and plot setting up more fights.
Teppu - Female MMA. Lack of fanservice. Also slow updates at about 2 months per chapter following the raw, with scanlation pace failing to catch up.
All rounder Meguru - MMA fights. Artist did Eden ~ It's an endless world! I think he said he wanted to do an old fashioned story about hard work and perserverance in sport.

Regarding Gamble Fish: - yes, the "Goblin-esqueness" kinda went overboard after a while. Was ok as an exaggeration in the beginning, but the author went unfortunately way beyond that. Am personally thinking of just giving up on this one altogether and just stick to Liar Game instead which is by far more interesting.

Kenichi - well, this one has always been at a somewhat exaggerated level from the get-go so this is kinda what you get. Realism is kinda not something you will find here at all - then again, Hajime no Ippo is kinda pretty much the same if you ask me. On the other hand, as I said before, the level of exaggeration in Kenichi has a clearly set limit which probably will not exceed, which is a good thing - even though the obvious limit is rather inhuman :p. No sudden surprise powergap nonsense aka DBZ etc though. And yes, the friend is an alien. An evil, kind-hearted mastermind strategist alien. Who apparently cannot stand churches and other holy places :razz:.

Claymore is starting to drag on a bit too long, almost a classical trap I'd say. Kinda a shame cause the story is really, really good until a bit after the timeskip and some of the characters are really awesome.

Just finished with reading ICHI THE KILLER,and its one the worst manga's i read,the only good thing about manga was realistic art,beside that nada..

And people likes to brag that its the most disturbing manga out there,well its was not for me,so it failed there to :sad:

TheSarafanPriest said:
Just finished with reading ICHI THE KILLER,and its one the worst manga's i read,the only good thing about manga was realistic art,beside that nada..

And people likes to brag that its the most disturbing manga out there,well its was not for me,so it failed there to :sad:

Penis snip

It's ok I guess. A guro manga. Some people like Homunculus by the same artist.

That reminds me, Ichi is a pretty entertaining manga. It's about a blind swordswoman.

Ichi the Killer was quite cool. I liked that one. I kinda like mangas that dont shy away from showing blood and gory stuff. For ****s sake, people bleed when you cut them.

Anyway, anybody read Goth?

TheSarafanPriest said:
I don't mind blood and gore in manga's,but Ichi The Killer didn't had anything else going for then these weird fantasies and blood.

And that was exactly what was going for it. The weirdness, the sick fantasies, blood, madness.  It aspired to be different, and to a lot of people, it was exactly what it needed to be.

I will look into it.But not today. Homework today and I have to watch Breaking Bad. Have to finish 4th season before I can do anything else. Kinda obsessed with it atm. ( off-topic since BB isnt manga or anime)

Back
Top Bottom