The Amber Treasure

Users who are viewing this thread

Saxon1974

Veteran
Found a book set around the same time as this game in England. Historical Fiction.

I just got it and started reading it and thought I would pass it along to anyone else interested.

http://www.merciabooks.co.uk/ambertreas.html

Let me know your impressions if you read it.

This period in history is a difficult one for an author because there aren't many surviving sources from the time period. I didn't find hardly any other historical novels for this period Britain.

Saxon1974 said:
Let me know your impressions if you read it.

This period in history is a difficult one for an author because there aren't many surviving sources from the time period. I didn't find hardly any other historical novels for this period Britain.

I am currently writing a Viking series set just before William's 1066 invasion, and I can attest to that.  :lol:

I would say that actually makes it the easiest period for an author - you can make stuff up and no one can really say any differently, whereas in a better known period you'd better make damn sure you have everything perfect! I gives you a great amount of freedom as an author, as there are only a few "framework" facts you have to stick to. Th age of "Arthur" is even better!

Spongly said:
I would say that actually makes it the easiest period for an author - you can make stuff up and no one can really say any differently, whereas in a better known period you'd better make damn sure you have everything perfect! I gives you a great amount of freedom as an author, as there are only a few "framework" facts you have to stick to. Th age of "Arthur" is even better!

Well yes I think that depends on your point of view. If your trying to stick as close to history as possible then this period is a bit difficult to document. I tend to prefer historical fiction that sticks to the facts as much as possible because it mike learning about the period fun and interesting.

For example Pillars of the earth by Ken Follet was well written but mostly pure fiction which meant I didn't enjoy it quite as much as The Robert the Bruce books by Nigel Tranter which were pretty accurate.

Spongly said:

This is true... but because I am still nubby in terms of writing, I would like to have SOME framework to go off of (real history) I doubt my skills to authentically make it up as I go along.  :lol:

The real thing I got going for me are the Anglo-Saxon chronicles. 

Other books written in this general era are by Bernard Cornwell; I recommend anything with "Uhtred" in the description on the back/in the sleeves (The Burning Land, for instance), or the "Warlord Chronicles" (The Winter King/Enemy of God/Excalibur) as being pretty good. Probably not 10,000% historically accurate but they both have an excellent gritty, pagan feel to them that makes me think they're probably more authentic than they are.

Ragnarson: I would happily take a look at your work when you complete it, if you want a volunteer editor.

AKM said:
Other books written in this general era are by Bernard Cornwell; I recommend anything with "Uhtred" in the description on the back/in the sleeves (The Burning Land, for instance), or the "Warlord Chronicles" (The Winter King/Enemy of God/Excalibur) as being pretty good. Probably not 10,000% historically accurate but they both have an excellent gritty, pagan feel to them that makes me think they're probably more authentic than they are.

Ragnarson: I would happily take a look at your work when you complete it, if you want a volunteer editor.

I second this nearly word for word. Including the volunteer editor part. :grin:
I finished The Burning Land last night. After the Warlord Chronicles, my favorite series. Is the Grail Quest series any good? (As in gritty, brutishness, ..)

I've read both the Saxon stories and the Warlord Trilogy and I'm just now starting the Grail Quest series.  I can't say enough about how awesome all of these books are to read.  They really add so much to the experience of playing Brytenwalda.  I ordered The Amber Treasure off Amazon and hopefully it'll be here in a few days and I'll let you all know how it is.

I've read all the Uhtred books *drool*, and the Warlord Chronicles *drool*, and the Grail series is good... not as good as the other two series, but its good. Its a little cliche (I don't like Grail stories to begin with) but worth the read. I also highly recommend the Sharpe series. I've read all 21 (21!!!) books and I still want more.  :mrgreen:

As to my own work, I am hardly anywhere near done. I have some chapters, but I am still fleshing out the plot and characters. For a frame of reference, the series starts off with the kidnapping of Bishop Alphege of Canterbury (aka Ælfheah) by the Viking Thorkell the Tall.
But I would love to have an editor. I'm not quite sure why, but there isn't a mainstream population that is as interested as I am in this period of history  :lol:

If I can help with anything, PM me :smile:
Was thinking of writing a story around Brytenwalda's time, but I'm afraid it'll be not much more then a rehash of Cornwell. That man writes like a boss.

Uhtred of Bebbanburg said:
I've read all the Uhtred books *drool*, and the Warlord Chronicles *drool*, and the Grail series is good... not as good as the other two series, but its good. Its a little cliche (I don't like Grail stories to begin with) but worth the read. I also highly recommend the Sharpe series. I've read all 21 (21!!!) books and I still want more.

From your username, Ragnarson, I couldn't tell! :razz: I own the Sharpe series, all in like bindings except the Indian ones and my duplicate copy of Waterloo. I don't think I'd enjoy the Empire: Total War and Napoleon: Total War series so much without having read those books. They are classic literature, and my guilty pleasure, because thematically they're like a masculine paperback trashy romance novel.

I am in Thorkell's Saga like flies on **** man. PM me any time. Obligatory Skade-like character (wanton demonic whore? Sure, that's kinky.) commentary to follow.

Howitzer: Cornwell is boss. There can be no discussion on this point. He simply owns this period of history. It is his *****. I'll work up a short story inspired by whatever happens to me next in Brytenwalda (F*CKING DANA PIRATES! F*CK YOU ALL!) at some point, I imagine. You take a stab at it too. In terms of things to imitate, there are worse things than Cornwell.

AKM said:
I am in Thorkell's Saga like flies on **** man. PM me any time. Obligatory Skade-like character (wanton demonic whore? Sure, that's kinky.) commentary to follow.

Do you know of any good sources for Thorkell? If you are on him like flies on **** I'd like to know some good resources for research  :lol:. I have only found a few scant lines about him.  :oops:

Yeah... I can agree with the anti-feminist, rawr rawr He-Man views of the Sharpe series, but... c'mon. Its just so epic! I absolutely love Cornwell's books, as AKM said, he has made this period of history his *****.  :mrgreen:

100% agree that E:TW would not have been nearly as much fun if I hadn't read the Sharpe books.  :mrgreen:

Have any of you read "The Fort" or the "Starbuck" series?

Thumbed through "The Fort", it's on my to-buy list.

I did not realize Thorkell was an actual historical figure. I know ****-all about him.

Sharpe of the books is much better than Sharpe of the TV series. As ARRSE so eloquently put it, the Book Sharpe is a bit of a psychopath, literally carving his way through French regiments while having no fewer than three women on the go simultaneously, plus assorted whores. The Sharpe of the TV series is a little more cultured. I like book Sharpe more. As to the anti-feminist he-man views, Sharpe does manly things: ****ing and Fighting. It's appropriate.

I call it the "Three Fs." It's the only thing men have to be good at. ****ing, Fighting, and Food (providing it and ideally cooking it. It isn't gay to cook for the missus).

Obligatory crude comment born of too many years hanging around soldiers: I'll assume she redeems herself outside (or occasionally inside; beware grease burns) the kitchen then.  :razz:

Back
Top Bottom