The AI just spams attacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

yes game is great. i've kinda got combat down where i can survive vs veteran level ai. but I struggle with aiming attack and blocks. it always seems to me to require such a long and obviously mouse motion for it to register the direction i'm trying to attack/block, so much so that i often miss the opportunity that i'm trying to go for and lose my rhythm. so i basically straffe and spam attacks in melee. use shield when i'm trying not to take damage and bash if they are blocking so much. i've changed the aim to inverse mouse and found better success but still in any moment when i need to quickly get an attack out, its basically rng which direction it goes to. many times i quickly pull up the shield trying to block a projectile but it goes to the wrong direction, very frustrating.
how do you aim your attacks? how does the person in this video do it? and don't tell me play in first person because i never will.

Have you tried the FluidCombat mod? I find it helps fix that slight delay i think you're talking about - matter fact i cant play without anymore

yes game is great. i've kinda got combat down where i can survive vs veteran level ai. but I struggle with aiming attack and blocks. it always seems to me to require such a long and obviously mouse motion for it to register the direction i'm trying to attack/block, so much so that i often miss the opportunity that i'm trying to go for and lose my rhythm. so i basically straffe and spam attacks in melee. use shield when i'm trying not to take damage and bash if they are blocking so much. i've changed the aim to inverse mouse and found better success but still in any moment when i need to quickly get an attack out, its basically rng which direction it goes to. many times i quickly pull up the shield trying to block a projectile but it goes to the wrong direction, very frustrating.
how do you aim your attacks? how does the person in this video do it? and don't tell me play in first person because i never will.
I had similar issues. I was a Warband (single player) veteran, and I haven't compared side by side but the input does feel different to how I remembered it.

I spent a month playing Bannerlord as a 2 handed weapon character to force myself to git gud at directional blocking, and I eventually got that to a level where I was happy I could block reactively and correctly with only rare errors. My control of directional attacks has also improved, but I still sometimes get unexpected swing directions when attacking (I use the default mouse movement control mechanism).

If you want to learn set damage to player to zero, damage to enemies to zero, learn to parry and attack from the same direction (it's faster). So block-up attack from UP, block-left attack from LEFT. You need to block just at the last moment and hear the sound.

When you are confortable you can have good duels with high tier bots. They feint a lot and block a lot but a parry followed by the right attack is what you need.

It's hard to tell your situation without seeing it in a video or in person. It could be your mouse or settings or maybe you are clicking attack before moving the mouse in the right direction. Maybe you move the mouse angled too much instead of a clean straight line.

Third person vs first person

I spent days testing both views in MP. Use to play Warband first person even in MP, but in the end, I could not get first-person to work for Bannerlord MP without suffering handicaps. In saying that, first-person is actually easier to aim for some things: thrust, overhead, headshot. Thrusting especially is much easier in first-person. I tend to aim the camera down a lot in 3rd person to see enemy attacks clearly, but this can make me miss headshots if I forget to aim the camera back up in mid-swing.
Overall, third-person gives a big advantage of fighting multiple enemies at once.

Aiming attack

The direction shouldn't be RNG. Something is wrong, maybe your mouse, sensitivity, or just need some practice or all combined. If you move your mouse right and click, the attack should come from the right. It should be a clean movement.

Try to see if you accidentally move your mouse angled the wrong direction a bit. If you want a right attack, the mouse should go straight right.

Only do 90 degree mouse movements (0, 90, 180, 270), if you start doing 105degree, etc there may be a chance you accidentally go to the wrong direction.

Also, make sure you move the mouse first before clickingattack. If you click attack first then move, then it's going to be RNG.

Same with up, down, and left. Sometimes you do make a mistake, that's normal.

There is a tutorial area in the campaign, I suggest experimenting with the trainer bot there to work out the right feeling and movement for each direction.

I do know it is easier when you become familiar with the enemy attack animations. Then you can react faster and feel like you are on top of the fight not panicking at the last minute.

And it could be just practice. It's not easy to become fluid in Warband/Bannerlord combat. Some of us played MP competitively for years. It takes time.

Aiming shield

Same with aiming attacks. Make sure you move the mouse in the right direction first then click the block. Make sure the movement is clean and straight, not slightly angled. However, it does feel a bit awkward to hold the shield in the same direction for me but you should be able to control it mostly. Should not be RNG otherwise something is wrong.

It's hard to tell your situation without seeing it in a video or in person. It could be your mouse or settings or maybe you are clicking attack before moving the mouse in the right direction. Maybe you move the mouse angled too much instead of a clean straight line.

my problem is the enormous amount of time required for me to aim a direction for the attack indicator to show, it's usually a good half second or longer. which to me is too much. personally i'm all about fast movements and quick reaction. i have high mouse sensitivity which means whenever i'm aiming left or right my camera is going crazy, i'm barely looking at the things i'm attacking but thats ok. i'm used to tiny mouse movements doing the trick but it's not the case here.
so basically in my combat i rely on moving outside of enemy striking range or blocking with a shield since i can't reliably parry. frankly i don't think my reaction speed is THAT BAD but i spent hours at the practice trainer and didn't figure out anything related to parrying since it's 100% reactions based, you are literally moving in response to enemy attack. but it's time sensitive and my attack direction takes so long to come out (if i click before the direction comes out like you said it's rng, but if i wait for it to show most of the times i've already been hit or missed my window)

i'm only using the attack direction properly for mounted combat when i use a polearm to slash enemies, and that's because i get 1 attack in every 10-30 seconds the slow aim doesn't matter much.

i set the shield block to asdw but it doesn't listen to my command anyways, i'm only pressing w and my blocks aren't always frontal. it's expecially bad since i just need a reliable quick block, i can turn the direction i'm facing using the mouse really fast so i don't need different block directions. i've literally blocked multiple attacks from different directions coming in at almost the exact same time using this method or turning. sometimse i raise a shield to block a projectile coming from center slightly to the left, but i put the shield up to the right and get shot anyways...

my problem is the enormous amount of time required for me to aim a direction for the attack indicator to show, it's usually a good half second

Interesting.

The attack indicator should not take literally half a second to show. I just checked and mine is instantaneuos.

Regardless you don't need the attack indicator anyway, I didn't even notice them until you mention.

Not sure man, maybe post a video or something. Hard to tell what the issue is by just talking.

@KingEroc1st
Try reducing mouse sensivity. In single player I use the default values with a slight increase in vertical sensivity and I don't need anything more. My mouse is a cheap one.

Don't look at the direction tips, disable them. Look at the animations. They are very good, not only to guess the attack direction but they show the moment the bot is going to release the attack as well.

Don't look at the direction tips, disable them. Look at the animations. They are very good, not only to guess the attack direction but they show the moment the bot is going to release the attack as well.
there has been lots of times bots appear to be releasing an attack but just hold it there for a second, and then catch me after i missed my block since he didn't even attack... what part of the animation is the tell that they are about to release?

there has been lots of times bots appear to be releasing an attack but just hold it there for a second, and then catch me after i missed my block since he didn't even attack... what part of the animation is the tell that they are about to release?
They can do that too, not all of them but sometimes I am tricked by a combination of feint and side step.
Anyway, when they are holding an attack they do a bit of taking the weapon back before releasing. Much like a real person, when you want to attack you take the weapon a bit further back to gain momentum. That's what I was talking about.

You know who else just spams attacks?

Actual practitioners of battlefield martial arts.

And by logical extension, actual ancient warriors in a battlefield scenario. There's a reason heavy plate armor won the day. It wasn't a contest of skill so much as a contest of stamina and wealth.

Are you trying to be ironic? Because those guys are not spamming attacks. Even more when people are not wearing full plate they are less likely to spam attacks, defence takes precedence over offense when your life is the price of a mistake.

Shield bash or kick, and don't get surrounded. Use situational awareness to avoid fighting outnumbered. If a fight is going bad, pre-emptively retreat. The worst thing you can do is run off and be a hero unless you're on a horse.

Being able to deal with those AI attack tricks simply comes from experience and technical skill.
It's easier to start with a shield for melee fights because it is more forgiving if you mess up the block direction.
It just takes time and practice, you will become good after a while.
The best way to become good at melee is 1v1 duels in multiplayer or in Warband there are AI trainer bots.
Once you become decent in duels you'll be complaining about how easy the AI in single player is.

I will say though no matter how good you become, at a certain level of difficulty vs a good human player or crazy AI from a mod, you still need to get into a level of focus. There is a small window of reaction in between attacks and within that time you need to be able to make the right move.

Are you trying to be ironic? Because those guys are not spamming attacks. Even more when people are not wearing full plate they are less likely to spam attacks, defence takes precedence over offense when your life is the price of a mistake.
Thanks to a video posted by abc123456 I found this article about that topic The best defense is a good offense... really? . Very interesting how the best duellists from all times recommended the same. Priority number one self preservation with a good defense. Priotity number two if there is an opening to attack you must know how to counter attack quickly and with safety.

I learned Bannerlord with a mod in the beta, "battletest" I think. I set damage to zero for all, but there were interruptions. I duelled one on one for several days, just walking and blocking and counter attacking. I recommend it if it works with the game.

Multiplayer is different. There is unpredictability which is good, and there is a lot of holding and running which is not good for my taste. But the real reason I don't play it is that sometimes I was hit so fast I couldn't react, and sometimes I clicked a combo and the other poor guy was hit so fast he couldn't say WAAA in time.

Thanks to a video posted by abc123456 I found this article about that topic The best defense is a good offense... really? . Very interesting how the best duellists from all times recommended the same. Priority number one self preservation with a good defense. Priotity number two if there is an opening to attack you must know how to counter attack quickly and with safety.

I learned Bannerlord with a mod in the beta, "battletest" I think. I set damage to zero for all, but there were interruptions. I duelled one on one for several days, just walking and blocking and counter attacking. I recommend it if it works with the game.

Multiplayer is different. There is unpredictability which is good, and there is a lot of holding and running which is not good for my taste. But the real reason I don't play it is that sometimes I was hit so fast I couldn't react, and sometimes I clicked a combo and the other poor guy was hit so fast he couldn't say WAAA in time.
That's an interesting article. My reading takes the main point to be that anger and unfocused offense will get you killed. In principle, fighting offensively with a quieted mind can be just as good as fighting defensively with a quieted mind, with variations either way by weapons and circumstance.

In unarmed combat it is of great advantage to land the first clean hit, and since sustaining unclean hits is usually of little consequence (as opposed to combat involving sharps, where unclean hits can be life threatening), there is greater motivation to use "offense as your defense". I've done two similar styles of unarmed martial arts in my life where the most important difference was the instructor's philosophy on attack. One was counter-attack focused, the other was "offense is the best defense". The jury is still out for me on which is best when it comes to unarmed combat, though I probably lean slightly towards counter-attack if for no other reason than the modern social doctrine of minimum necessary force. I've never fought with sharp blades, but I imagine self preservation would influence my approach if I did!

I find it a little comical that when a character is struck in Bannerlord, all else being equal they can usually counter attack faster than the initial attacker can land their second attack. Even though that's not very realistic, as you observe regarding the unbridled beatdowns that are more common in multiplayer, the opportunity to respond in some way rather than just get combo'd to death makes for better gameplay.

I remember a video about martial arts and the problem of double kills. Martial arts practicioners know they aren't in danger of death, and as in every other competitive activity, they learn the tricks to win. But those tricks are based on the certainty they are not in real danger so the original intent of learning how to fight in a real situation is put aside in favor of competitiveness. This often results in both fighters "killing" each other at the same time because they must hit to win.

In the video they recommended to change the rules of engagement. Instead of the first to hit winnning and moving to the next phase, now only those who hit without being hit win, now both lose. This way the fighters are more concerned with losing than winning and this results in a better combat. And if I remember right, the fights were much more defensive.

Note that in M&B there is a related problem. The first to hit interrupts the other even at the last second. And when both hit at the same time, longer weapons take precedence. Aside from being a game, players tend to risk it much more than they would if those hits didn't vanish, and players love long weapons because it helps to win. In reality fighters would be more concerned with not being hit, so any oponent and any weapon, short or not, would be respected.

Interesting article and makes sense from my own experience with martial arts when engaged without protective equipment the difference in pain and the ensuing caution from taking even a half-strength blow is huge. I have been staggered and nearly knocked out by glancing blows and have accidentally fractured bones and left gashes with pvc pipe staffs/swords.

The first option in defence is to never take a blow using foot-work and positioning, attempting to counter an opponents weapon in motion with your own weapon in motion adds considerably to chances of miscalculation but that can be offset by a lot of training. People who swing wildly are usually down in 2-3 swings while people who dance around never attacking end up tiring themselves and telegraphing their attacks when they finally come.

The most difficult opponents are people who wait calmly and watch for you to make a mistake and aggressively counter-attack but also understand it does not take much of a blow to end a fight if you hit in the right spot with even a blunt weapon so they never commit fully to any counter-attack being patient enough to wait for another opportunity.

Even without broken bones or opened skin, the pain of a hit from an object other than a body part is substantial enough to stop most people from continuing the fight. Even getting kicked while braced hurts, I've been hit with a racquetball racquet so hard it broke and while I didn't receive any permanent wounds the pain of the hit was such it brought me to my knees temporarily and my eyes lost focus, in a fight that would have been the end if a real opponent wanted to finish me.

Interesting article and makes sense from my own experience with martial arts when engaged without protective equipment the difference in pain and the ensuing caution from taking even a half-strength blow is huge. I have been staggered and nearly knocked out by glancing blows and have accidentally fractured bones and left gashes with pvc pipe staffs/swords.

The first option in defence is to never take a blow using foot-work and positioning, attempting to counter an opponents weapon in motion with your own weapon in motion adds considerably to chances of miscalculation but that can be offset by a lot of training. People who swing wildly are usually down in 2-3 swings while people who dance around never attacking end up tiring themselves and telegraphing their attacks when they finally come.

The most difficult opponents are people who wait calmly and watch for you to make a mistake and aggressively counter-attack but also understand it does not take much of a blow to end a fight if you hit in the right spot with even a blunt weapon so they never commit fully to any counter-attack being patient enough to wait for another opportunity.

Even without broken bones or opened skin, the pain of a hit from an object other than a body part is substantial enough to stop most people from continuing the fight. Even getting kicked while braced hurts, I've been hit with a racquetball racquet so hard it broke and while I didn't receive any permanent wounds the pain of the hit was such it brought me to my knees temporarily and my eyes lost focus, in a fight that would have been the end if a real opponent wanted to finish me.

I fully agree, not that I have been wounded in fights really, but I always thought a serious blow would decisevely change the victim's will to fight.

About this ofense-defense question, my opinion is that an attack, whether in pure ofense or counter attacking, must be controlled enough to allow a good defense in case the attack misses or is parried or whatever. If the attack causes unbalancing or openings in the guard, or is fully committed and unable to recover the guard, then it's a risk. This may be justified if victory is uncertain, but in general is a mistake.

Regarding this, those who didn't may want to watch the movie "Rob Roy" 1995 and the final duel. I won't spoil it.

iG7GXUC3ueh8H1cePbp6hORwefa.jpg

You know who else just spams attacks?

Actual practitioners of battlefield martial arts.

And by logical extension, actual ancient warriors in a battlefield scenario. There's a reason heavy plate armor won the day. It wasn't a contest of skill so much as a contest of stamina and wealth.

Thats not martial arts, its a sport which has rules (restrictions on gear, and certain hits to AVOID deaths) and restrictions and therefore more closely represents boxing then medieval battles. Tell heavy plate winning to agincourt. Your snapshotting history to one point when knights reigned supreme, but armor rarely remains impenetrable for long.

Agree wholeheartedly with the OP, it may be fine when playing vs AI in arena, but when trying to fight in an actual battle, fighting anything with a sheild is just plain boring slugfest to break the sheild. Melee combat at all with sheilds in this game is boring as hell, not difficult as the AI coding is garbage, just boring. But it seems clear from the measures of 'balance' implemented so far that the game devs only care for one type of fighting style, max archers with a sheild wall and flanking cavalry try it and watch as all fights no matter the odds become a matter # of arrows

Back
Top Bottom