The AI just spams attacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Honestly in bigger battles you should just stay back and command your units.

If you always want to be in the heat of battle, then what is the point of hiring hundreds of units?

Maybe try reducing difficulty to easiest 1/4 damage taken, which might better suit your preferred play style.

If you want to defeat the AI 1:1 just keep as close as possible, circle around them (to your right) and don't stop moving. They will never hit you and always miss.

You mean the A.I isn't predictable and braindead? They use feints, defend against your own and use different patterns every time when attacking is what I've noticed. Huge improvement IMO and you're probably just bad
AI is predictable and braindead.
Just flank them and cut 200 men for free.

AI never defends himself, thats why 500 v 500 melee fight lasts less then a minute.

put yourself through the grind of free practice arena matches and learn the combat system in this game. after learning how stuff worked i can start a new character with 0 combat skills and crush kids there while making money and leveling up.

AI is predictable and braindead.
Just flank them and cut 200 men for free.

AI never defends himself, thats why 500 v 500 melee fight lasts less then a minute.
that's when the enemy is issued an attack/charge order. when they are on shield wall you can be chopping them from behind they turn 180 instantly and block it with shields.( this happens quite often when you are sieging and trying to kill enemy soldiers defending their main gate) enemy ai doesn't really know much except for charge. they might set up a formation at the beginning of a fight, but the moment you shoot at them a bit they abbandon every plan and brainlessly charge

hey dont when you have enough lenghs on weapon. Those 200 kills was in siege as atacker.
when the gate is breached and my men are pushing in from the front, they stop blocking from behind. but before the gate opens, they will 180 block your attacks from behind most of the time. i just sieged multiple castles yesterday. i always assault the walls and get through to the gate area for the back stab, sometimes i get there before the gate breaches and there's lots of blocking.

AI blocks pretty effectively in my games. They weren't blocking much at all after that early patch that nerfed their combat ai, but they fixed that in later patches. They block pretty well now.

when the gate is breached and my men are pushing in from the front, they stop blocking from behind. but before the gate opens, they will 180 block your attacks from behind most of the time. i just sieged multiple castles yesterday.
Oh, nice to know thanks.

On the battlefield I try to stay away from a multitude of enemies. More than three and they try to flank you and stab/hack you to death quite often. As it should be. Still quite often NPCs are too dump to see danger and react accordingly, to the great pleasure of the use-twohander-from-behind-for-easy-slaughter fans I presume.

At tournaments heavily armored NPCs with high stats (lords for example) can really kill me in 1:1 in the early phase when I'm without armor. They are surprisingly good at blocking and quite often get me with a quick return while they take the small amount of damage my sword makes on their plate/mail. Quite realistic I fear albeit a bit humiliating. I especially don't like tournaments in the Empire for this reason. :grin:

In the arena where all fight quite naked (almost literally in my game) the AI usually has no chance in an 1:1. I die a lot because a guy/gal throws a javelin through my guts from behind, or when I get lazy, but with some care it's manageable as long as I got/found a shield and the shield did not break yet. The AI is especially quite often unable to block swings from the left (my right) above their shield to the head, that's a bit sad. The most dangerous foes are spearmen indeed (I use a mod to push the weapon).

By and large I enjoy combat more than in Warband.

By and large I enjoy combat more than in Warband.
Agree here wholeheartedly. Despite some faults -find the combat far more visceral and satisfying. Really dig the Fluid Combat mod -wish they could add this to the bots so everything would feel less robotic Left-Right-Thrust-Right

he most dangerous foes are spearmen indeed (I use a mod to push the weapon).
can you elaborate? i find spearmen a joke. sometimes i literally stick to using my bow and not pull out the sword when they came to melee me. side stepping their thrust is easy. blocking a jab using a shield is brainless work and deflecting a thrust with a weapon isn't that hard. if they don't have a shield i can just back up and shoot them while moving (bad accuracy but i can still hit point blank)

I like melee combat too but it's easy once you learn it. They attack a lot but usually you can block and hit. This hit interrupts their second attack. Only lords with high tier armor can beat you, because if the hit doesn't do enough damage they are not interrupted. With a reasonable fast mace, or a 2h sword you can win any duel.

Sometimes a lord can attack once, attack twice, cancel attack and block your attack before being interrupted. This can happen a few times and it's enjoyable. It feels like a real duel. I wish the low tiers were more defensive but I'm ok with that, like they are bad fighters and their aggressiveness is a result of their low skill.

I like melee combat too but it's easy once you learn it. They attack a lot but usually you can block and hit. This hit interrupts their second attack. Only lords with high tier armor can beat you, because if the hit doesn't do enough damage they are not interrupted. With a reasonable fast mace, or a 2h sword you can win any duel.

Sometimes a lord can attack once, attack twice, cancel attack and block your attack before being interrupted. This can happen a few times and it's enjoyable. It feels like a real duel. I wish the low tiers were more defensive but I'm ok with that, like they are bad fighters and their aggressiveness is a result of their low skill.

I agree. Well said.

Combat in Warband came down to whoever successfully attacked first would win, typically you could just spam away attacks after the initial hit. The only exception was if the enemy much higher combat skills than you. But in Bannerlord you have to look for openings and spamming attacks will most likely get you killed.
I can remember all the cheesy tactics in Warband like having my whole army wiped out and I'm backpedaling leading a conga line of attackers and still win a battle 1 vs 100. I've never had that happen in Bannerlord. If you're outnumbered more than 3v1 you're dead unless you do some fancy footwork.

Yeah, I'm fine if I can't win against more than 2 bots. Well, with high athletics and a 2h probably you can keep them at bay. Anyway I don't try to be a Miyamoto Musashi. A duel is a duel and a battle is a battle. I love when there are several blocks, and attacks in a row. The sound of 2h swords parrying is amazing.

God damn the AI just contently spams attacks and never gives you the ability to attack. Even with the A.I. set on the easiest difficulty I can't ever attack them. And when I do attack them my attacks are so slow that they hit me first and cancel my animation so I don't do any damage. I'm spending 80% of my fights just holding up my shield because don't I get spammed attack and lose half of my HP just trying to hit the AI once.

Hell the only way I know how to counter this is to just spam my own attacks, but if the A.I. manages to counter you, then you're done. The combat in this game is worse then Warband. Yeah Warband combat system had it's problems, but at least it seem more balanced then this.

This is why Bannerlord is good. You can use some real life fencing and medieval combat skills and it will work.

If you apply basic fencing skills 101, you will mostly do alright.

Parry-Riposte -> attack immediately and accurately straight after a parry/block
Counter attack -> attack enemy just before the attack you. you need to be not too close or not too far and hit accurately. it is important the attack interrupts.

Try to aim with the foible - the end part of the blade to do max damage.

This is why Bannerlord is good. You can use some real life fencing and medieval combat skills and it will work.

If you apply basic fencing skills 101, you will mostly do alright.
yes game is great. i've kinda got combat down where i can survive vs veteran level ai. but I struggle with aiming attack and blocks. it always seems to me to require such a long and obviously mouse motion for it to register the direction i'm trying to attack/block, so much so that i often miss the opportunity that i'm trying to go for and lose my rhythm. so i basically straffe and spam attacks in melee. use shield when i'm trying not to take damage and bash if they are blocking so much. i've changed the aim to inverse mouse and found better success but still in any moment when i need to quickly get an attack out, its basically rng which direction it goes to. many times i quickly pull up the shield trying to block a projectile but it goes to the wrong direction, very frustrating.
how do you aim your attacks? how does the person in this video do it? and don't tell me play in first person because i never will.

Back
Top Bottom