SP Apocalypse The Aeternan Chronicles

Users who are viewing this thread

llamalad

Recruit
Goodday everyone!

I am using this to both advertise my intent to create this mod henceforth, and to request help in doing it. To be honest, I'm an average coder but am improving. The real problem here is modelling and texturing. I'm hoping that by putting this idea out there I can attract attention and volunteers to do odd jobs on request, be they models or the world map or textures or whatever. If you feel like helping me out, please PM me or just put your details in the thread, though if you put it in the thread I may accidentally miss you. Thank you in advance. Now for the actual details.

Aeterna

All of the details below are based on the Notes on Aeternan life and Culture, as written by the Elders and their representatives, the Council of the Ancients, and kept for the eyes of the highest Penseurs only.

A long time ago, Aeterna was known as Earth. Humanity lived at a high degree of comfort and lifespans were rather immense. Energy crises had been averted, overcrowding was being dealt with through large-scale eugenics campaigns. Three World Wars had convinced most of them to stay in their places, as nuclear weapons, developed in the Twentieth century but only used in combat once, had become truly terrifying. The mere threat of the newest models had ended World War Three. Of course, humanity could not avoid war forever. It was determined that due to a global economic crisis, it would be to the benefit of every world power to stage a Fourth World War. Total War was started, and the world's economy was jump-started again.

The War drew the attention of the world away from anything else, as every single resource was thrown into destroying the other factions before the predetermined Four-year limit on the war was reached. Three years in, an asteroid slipped past the distracted satellites put in place before the war in case of just such an event. Its impact will be known as the Fall. Though 70% of the Earth's surface is water, the asteroid beat the odds, hitting near the centre of North America, kicking up just enough dust to heat the Earth for thirty years, and block the sun for another fifty. After this, the Earth returned to 'business as usual.' The dust, interestingly enough, proved to be deadly to humans and very few other animal species, but the Earth's ecosystem was mostly unaffected.

Small pockets of humanity managed to hide in caverns and pre-made nuclear bunkers. These humans would later be known as the Ancients. The first of the Ancients emerged 101 years after the Fall in what was known previously as Europe. Knowing what had happened, the Ancients filtered all of the scientific and societal knowledge stockpiled in the bunkers they came out of, so that society would be knocked back to a stage where it would be unable to start another such war. This was based on the belief that the impact was not, in fact, an asteroid, but a massive nuclear strike. They then proceed to establish themselves as the centre of a new religion, whose body would be the Council of the Ancients, and crown the first Emperor of the Imperia Aeterna, Emperor Acturian, in the city of Seiz, formerly Koln, in the ruins of the Kolner Dom.

A timeline of events on Aeterna.

*Cycles are measured from the Fall, each is 365 24-hour days. The impact of the asteroid with Earth offset its orbit just enough to make everything very round and simple, much to the delight of the Ancients.

*Dates represented as Cycle-Day(-Time, in 24-hour clock format)

199-365: Foundation of the Imperia Aeterna in Seiz, Emperor Acturian is crowned in the ruins of the Kolner Dom.
203-054: Republic of Nordheim founded by northern cities.
210-178: Togoan Kingdom follows the example of the Northerners, separates from the Imperia.
210-200: Royal Infantry, Cavalry, Navy made to prevent further separation.
278-154: First Imperials land across the Sea of Snakes, following Elder charts, near the ruins of New York. The Statue of Liberty, missing an arm and rusting, is declared a landmark of the Imperia.
290-100-1300: War declared between the three factions after declaration of the new discoveries of the Imperia.
290-100-1700: Imperial Galleons begin the bombardment of both Nordhaven and Togoa. Emperor Taija is quoted as saying "No. You can't have the colonies. They're mine. I have far too many of these explosive shells, however. Have some."
290-101: By popular vote, the Republic of Northheim signs a peace agreement with the Imperia.
293-065-0900: Beginning of the battle of Opei. The Royal Infantry is blooded against the Togoan tribesmen, and their firing lines barely hold at the gates of the Temple.
293-073: The tribesmen are driven from Opei by the Royal Cavalry. King Ochoa is quoted as saying "Fine. Let your demonic steeds trample these men. I have many more, who will be ever more willing to fight. And now we have seen your mounts. We shall defeat them next time." The spear is invented days later.
293-080: The Imperia and the Togoans sign a peace treaty.
300-001-0100: The Tri-Centennial of Aeterna is celebrated, the Nordheim Republic launch the famous Centennial Offensive.
300-005-1700: The beginning of the landings north of Seiz. Northerners swarm over villages, burning and pillaging. As a peasant said, "They were like beasts, gone berserk, an ax in each hand, slashing at whatever moved. There was blood everywhere. Me and my family barely escaped by hiding under bodies..."
300-015-0800: The Royal Infantry mass 3000 troops at the gates of Seiz, supported by the Chercheurs of the Council. After three hours of continuous fighting, where "the entire battlefield smelled of rotten eggs, blood, and other bodily odours, and a man couldn't see a foot ahead of him in the thick grey fog," over five thousand Northerners and one and a half thousand Imperials litter the fields.
300-016: Contact is lost with the colonies. The Wastelanders have made their first attempt at reclaiming their land.
300-020: The Nordheim Republic launces its dragon boats. The battle of the North Sea begins.
300-020-1000: Admiral Fallhaven of the Imperial Navy is killed by a ricocheting round shot as his ship is boarded.
300-020-1100: The Imperial Navy withdraw from battle. Twenty Imperial and thirteen Northern ships have been sunk.
300-022: The Imperia sues for peace to send troops to the colonies.
300-043: The Royal Infantry units sent to the colonies find all but Grenay destroyed. The Wastelanders are repelled, colonization resumes. Colonists are bitter at the late response and form a Continental Infantry for defense.
300-050: Alarmed by the violent beginning of the century, the three powers agree on a one hundred year peace. The next hundred years are a Golden Age.
327-075: Airships invented by Sir Thomas Rayke. Royal Air Force created.
401-050: Togoans attack the Imperia, block progress to Lient.
401-135: Imperials repel tribesmen in a series of battles over a week. Thousands dead on the Imperial side. Tens of thousands dead on the Togoan side. Imperial expansion reaches its apex at the Eastern edge of Lient.
406-036: Pillage of Togoa at the hands of the Wastelanders of the South.
406-040: The three factions vow to work together to explore the Wastelands more to prevent any further Wastelander influence. Imperials and Northerners work on the reconstruction of Togoa.
450-265: The Colonies grow discontent of being used as tools by their distant master and throw crates of spices into the sea in Grenay.
450-270: The Impeial Parliament complis with demands that taxes be lowered among the Colonies. This averts Rebellion for now, but encourages ever more fugitives and shady types to go there seeking wealth.
453-45: Emperor Yeat famously says, on his deathbed, "I have watched my glorious kingdom nearly tear itself apart, then reconnected it only by selling some of my own strength. This must never happen again. The Imperia will stand strong." More Royal Infantrymen are sent to the Colonies. Taxes are returned to normal. The newly crowned Emperor Taym is unhappy with his father's legacy.
453-365: The Continental Infantry fight the Royal Infantry on the fields of Ummin north of Grenay. By sundown, they have fought, 10000 against 7000, for nine and a half hours. Five thousand deaths on either side convince Emperor Taym to lower taxes once more. The Colonies will remain a haven for those seeking to escape the centre of civilization.
453-365: The Nordheim Republic exploits the war in the Colonies to estblish a colony to the north of Grenay, on an island they name "The land of wine".
454-45: "The land of wine" loses contact with the mainland. All colonists are presumed dead. The Republic votes against returning.
500-01: After more peace than Aeternans are used to, the new Emperor, crowned on this day, declares that "The Council shall no more reign uninhibited over the people of Aeterna. They seek to hold the people on a leash. The people seek to fly free. It is time blood ran in the gutters, and the leash was set alight and used to whip the oppressors."
500-08: A combined force of 90 000 Royal Infantry, Continentals, Northerners, and Togoans march on Seiz. Battle is joined with 5000 Chercheurs and 10 000 Loyalists of every faction at 1300. By the end of the day, the Council has won. Rumours abound of "Mysterious machines what spat bullets everywhere", weapons with smokeless powder, "Silver birds laying eggs that split into hundreds of tiny shells," and many other mysteries attributed to the Council's connection to the Gods.
500-10: The Emperor, President of Nordheim, King of Togoa and their advisors are rounded up by the Chercheurs and brought to Seiz.
500-17: All of the above are burned publicly in what is named "The Bonfire of the Impertinents." Grand Dirigeant Leonidas IX says "The people wanted a leash set alight? Well, their leaders constrained them into an unjust war that resulted in unfair bloodshed. And so, we shall light their true leash, that they may be free to see the glory of the Ancients."
500-20: Wastelanders attack simultaneously on all fronts. Five years of war between the nations that believe this to be a ruse by the others and against the Wastelanders ensues. It is believed to be a ruse by the Darkdwellers, as bodies disappear from battlefields regularly.
505-300: Peace is again found, and the populace goes on a rabid witch-hunt instead, seeking out Heretics and Darkdwellers as the scapegoats of the disaster.
506-10: The witch-hunts are over. Milions have burned or been slaughtered. Approximately ten thousand Darkdwellers and the same amount of Heretics are thought to have died.
600-01: After only minor conflicts for almost a hundred years as Aeterna rebuilt itself, the factions are once again powerful and belligerent, and exploration is resuming on the borders with the Wasteland. Fireworks celebrate the new centennial in the capitals, the Colonists once again murmur of Rebellion, the Imperia deploys Royal Infantry to its four corners to secure itslef, the Northerners brace for another winter, and the Togoans fight among their clans.

In the 600th cycle, the Mount and Blade campaign would begin.

Now, I realize that this seems to be a rather immense project, but I have specific plans on how to make it work, as long as the community is willing to help, and I thank you all in advance for it.

The idea has been floating around my head for a while, and I currently have a series of short stories, the beginning of a novel, and even a D20 Modern campaign (I know, I hear you sighing) based in Aeterna, and I figured that if I wanted it to be a little more concrete, I should make something visual. What better medium than Mount and Blade?

I intend to begin with a campaign map spanning essentially from the Colonies to the border with Russia. North-South, it would go from the Southernmost border of Tunisia to the tip of Scandinavia. The factions are, of course, the Wastelanders (Non-playable), The Darkdwellers (playable?) The Imperia Aeterna, The Nordheim Republic, the Togoan Kingdom and the Colonies.

Wastelanders :

In the East, fur wearing barbarians of the traditional Mount and Blade looter mould, for the most part. In the West, there will be more variety. There are Wasteland Raiders, violent warriors who often cover their entire bodies in armour and robes, and sometimes wield strange weapons thought to be stolen from Elder stockpiles. There are the Shambling Dead, those too mutated to be sentient, but still unfortunate enough to be alive and roam the Wastes. And the wildlife is generally violent and hostile as well. Of course, the Western Wasteland, utterly unexplored by civilization to date, holds the greatest rewards as well, since all signs point to it having been heavily populated in the days of the Elders.

Darkdwellers :

During a three-hundred year period after the Fall, remained underground, feeding on humans and their blood to sustain themselves, and now only emerge in the night to harvest more food. No comments on "Oooh, that's original, vampires..." I don't want to hear it. :grin:

Imperia Aeterna :

The Imperia is the most widespread of the three factions, reaching from the city of Lient on the edge of the desert to the city of Talbot on the Near Isles, and even to colonies across the Sea of Snakes. It has a grand standing army, all garbed in dark-green, almost black, livery, white trousers, and tall leather boots. They equip their troops with single-shot black powder rifles and lead the most organized battles. They have a very hierarchical society, and urbanization is rampant. They are certainly the faction with the deepest culture. (18th c. military, essentially, but vulnerable to quick attacks due to reload times and light armour)

Colonies :

Use a mixture of black-powder and more rudimentary weapons, no set uniform for their army. Limited cavalry but very versatile infantry. (American Colonists, ish, think woodsmen with a grudge)

Nordheim Republic :

They have a very enlightened government, led by a President who is elected every eight years. Nevertheless, their society is very war-like. Their dragon-ships are extremely quick and maneuverable, meaning that it is very easy for them to run raids on the other two factions and make themselves generally disliked by them. They tend to fight more with cold steel than with gunpowder, though they have very formidable artillery, called Serpents, shaped as they are named, which fire 32 pound shells great distances. Long blonde hair and tall, muscular men define their society. (Duh, Renaissance vikings)

Togoan Kingdom :

Based on the Southern Continent, across the Central Sea, they are all very dark-skinned. Their towns are built mainly of mud, and while they follow the standards of cleanliness and advancement set down by the Council at the point of a sword after the Fall, their society is not as advanced as it could be. The Kingdom is composed of clans which only unite when the King can prove a real emergency. Then they are a formidable force, but at other times they are too busy killing each other. When they go to war, they are barely dressed except for leather and fur loincloths, carrying wooden shields, fierce barbed spears, clubs made of the bones of their kills, and other tribal weapons. They do, however, have the Deboan tribe. These desert-dwellers carry extremely long, unwieldy muskets, but can hit a target at more than three times the effective range of a Royal Infantryman of the Imperia, that is to say over a kilometre away, and fight garbed in thick robes from head to toe. (Think Zulu/Bedouin)

I'll elaborate on exactly what I need once volunteers have stepped forward. This is just kind of to put the idea out there, in the hopes that you'll all appreciate it like I do, and hopefully will try not to make something too similar or take these ideas for your own gain before I can get my own fabrications out there. Thank you all again for support in pushing this idea forward, and I hope you are all as intrigued as I am by this idea.

I don't believe it does belong there, this is the pioneers guild for mods under construction. Isn't this in the right place? Very interesting story by the way.

Thank you very much, I've worked hard on this. I thought this would be the place as well, since I have already begun some modicum of work and a good deal of planning and the other thread seems reserved for discussions of one-sentence ideas with no real backbone as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom