The 85th 24 Heures du Mans

Users who are viewing this thread

OQhT5_sEXXvyEaHAeLspR14V2BvKVkAElfWH6Qe4GEU.png

For the uninformed, the 24h of Le Mans is the first and the biggest endurance motor race in the world, running yearly from 1923 with the exception of a couple of French worker strikes and the second world war, and it's that time of the year again to watch the enormous Circuit de La Sarthe to crush the hopes and dreams of people wanting to win the biggest title of them all.
It is also the third round of the FIA World Endurance Championship, which basically exists to give LMP1 cars something to do for the rest of the year.

The entrants are divided into four classes:
LMP1 consisting of three Toyotas, hoping to not have a last lap breakdown again this year, two Porsches and that Enso car which is the only one not using a hybrid engine and not expected to win anything. LMP1 cars are the fastest closed-wheel cars in the world.
LMP2 consisting of a whole lot of cars that are very similar in looks to LMP1 cars but not quite as fast. The most popular category this year.
GTE-Pro with their GT cars that are very similar to the production cars they are based off, and of which there has to be at least a hundred street cars out there (Aside from Ford, the cheating bastards). The cars are then balanced with air restrictors and ballast to be of roughly similar performance (aside from Ford, the sandbagging bastards).
GTE-Am with more or less same cars but with amateur drivers. Also that paint glows in the dark. Cool.

Legit ways to follow the race for free:
Radio Le Mans does an audio broadcast over the full race
Autosport.com will do text-based coverage over the entire race

Streams
Official Site (10€ paywall)
Eurosport has a cheaper pass, apparently. Probably for Europe only though.
At least Porsche should have live onboard cameras on their cars through the race, found either on their Youtube channel or official website.
And then there's other ways to watch the race, for you to discover on your own.

As of posting we are an hour from the start.

You know, I don't think there are many people on this forum who follow motor sports. Odd that motor sports specifically are not very represented here.

Comrade Temuzu said:
You know, I don't think there are many people on this forum who follow motor sports. Odd that motor sports specifically are not very represented here.
It's about as many as you'd expect in a forum for a medieval swordfighting game, to be honest. It's pretty much soccer and hockey with any chance of a living thread.

Lord Brutus said:
Formula 1 is one thing.  Endurance racing, meh.
Endurance racing is the best racing, by a long shot.

But nevermind that, F1 is driven with unexciting cars mostly on boring cookie-cutter tracks. It's still okay because of all the factory team drama but there's better things to watch on the sprint race side.

Endurance racing is way more interesting than NASCAR.  My idea of Hell is to be forced to watch 43 cars going round and round in a circle.  I can watch NASCAR when they race on a road course, but that's it.  Where endurance racing leaves me cold is when I go to the bathroom and come back to find that, in the interim, the lead car has hit a tree.  :dead:

Lord Brutus said:
Where endurance racing leaves me cold is when I go to the bathroom and come back to find that, in the interim, the lead car has hit a tree.  :dead:
I can sympathize with that. I dozed off for a couple of hours and in the meantime everything had gone to hell for Toyota.
But the same is more or less true for F1-sized events, too.

Lord Brutus said:
True about F-1 events, yes, but then I've only killed an hour or so, not possibly 23 hours.  :razz:
They won't stop the race and come over to wipe your memories if you see something from a replay instead of witnessing it live, you know.

Excellent diagnosis, doctor.  Well, them and Ferrari.  :facepalm:

Edit:  A little name dropping.  teeHee.  I actually had the pleasure of meeting Enzo in person at the US Gran Prix in Watkin's Glen in 1975, when Lauda won the championship.  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom