The 100 ping threshold

Users who are viewing this thread

jdturner11

Recruit
They weren't kidding. A few guys I used to talk to (I made it a personal vow to NEVER chat with gamers over ventrillo or with voice anymore) told me "You got to have a ping under 100 or you'll lose". I didn't think much of it, as my location at the time pretty much gave me a great ping of 60 or less. Then I moved and had to switch from cable to DSL, now it is rare to find a high pop server that is not over 100 ping. I said what the hell and joined Nditions Duel Server. My LORD! I could not block thrusts even though I seen them way ahead of time, I couldn't dodge like I used to, it was awful! Is this psychosomatic or does warband multiplayer really rely on a good ping this much?

Above 100 ping is generally crappy for any first person shooter, and Warband is no different. You are not going to be able to compete at a high level with anything above 100 ping. You can still have fun, but you are going to have to realize that you won't be doing as well as you use to, so you'll probably want to hang around non-duel servers where you can use strategy to make up for lessened reflexes.

Rural aussie on terribad wireless here, it makes a big difference... I really can't effectively manual block and it's hard to time attacks right, a lot of it comes down to flukes when it's 1v1 combat.

PShh, 100 ping is nothing.150 is where it gets difficult. You just have to block on time.

I'm really getting frustrated with it....there's pretty much no point in playing online for me.  Attacks don't swing on time and blocking is useless without a shield.  Whenever I get into a 1v1 fight with someone there's basically nothing I can do.  If I try to attack, the delay caused by my ping completely messes up any timing and they can easily get a swing in, so I end up just having to keep my shield up.  Sigh...

100-500 ping is bad, but above 500 we can be unstoppable because it gets laggy for our opponents aswell, they wont know our actual position and they will miss often.
Unfortunately 2h spamming is the only thing you can do effectively at higher pings, no more couching, no more archery. :sad:

I had experienced this yesterday playing on a server with my ping at 135+. The servers I ping well in were empty. It was my first MP game as well. African was there and he did fantastic throughout the night with a 135 ping, not sure how he does it, and meant to ask, lol. I tend to ping high on mostly everything though since I have a bad connection and most of the learning is to compensate for the lag. Not sure if I have the long patience to do that with M&B though, lol.

Playing cavalry well /is/ rather timing and maneuvering intensive, however. We're not talking about just timing lances against other cavalry or even running someone down for the maximum amount of damage instead of just harmlessly bumping them, but being able to maneuver past archer fire is pretty critical to keeping the best mount (Courser <3) alive. ;3

No doubt but it is easier than a close quarters infantry fight where you rely on your manual block above all else!

As for "harmless" bumping, do it when they are in a fight with your allied infantry and see how harmless a little bump is then :wink:

Bah! But I love manual blocking! That's what made multiplayer fun for me, the pure reflexive action when combat was quick. It's too bad so few servers cater to Americans that are high pop, ah well, atleast it still has a *****in' singeplayer!

FlyingRhino said:
I'm really getting frustrated with it....there's pretty much no point in playing online for me.  Attacks don't swing on time and blocking is useless without a shield.  Whenever I get into a 1v1 fight with someone there's basically nothing I can do.  If I try to attack, the delay caused by my ping completely messes up any timing and they can easily get a swing in, so I end up just having to keep my shield up.  Sigh...

You do know there are like 7 Australian servers....

superhit1000 said:
FlyingRhino said:

You do know there are like 7 Australian servers....

There are only 3-4; 2 of them have people in them, only one of which has about 20 (the other has about 4 people at most that I've seen), and it's a duel server.

Back
Top Bottom