• Scorpion GOGOGOGO

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Tarantula FTW

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Let them fight for their lives!

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah, you point that out, but earlier you supported Jaws in having his own little bug-off.

FYI - tarantulas aren't bugs either.

Janlulhannes said:
Ambalon said:
Radalan said:
What's the average lifespan of a scorpion, or a tarantula for that matter?
Mice are cool, I still like dogs more, though. I'd guess scorpions/tarantulas don't live much, specially since bugs aren't very known for their longevity. One year sounds like a very reasonable guess.
Scorpions arent bugs.
I stand corrected.

Ambalon said:
Radalan said:
I had a mouse when I was 14, then it died.

Mice are cool, I still like dogs more, though. I'd guess scorpions/tarantulas don't live much, specially since bugs aren't very known for their longevity. One year sounds like a very reasonable guess.

Well, apparently you're wrong.

Wikipedia:
Tarantulas may live for years—most species taking 2 to 5 years to reach adulthood, but some species may take up to 10 years to reach full maturity. Upon reaching adulthood, males typically have but a 1 to 1.5 year period left to live and will immediately go in search of a female with which to mate. Male tarantulas rarely moult again once they reach adulthood. The oldest spider, according to Guinness World Records, lived to be 49 years old.

Females will continue to moult after reaching maturity. Female specimens have been known to reach 30 to 40 years of age, and have survived on water alone for up to 2 years.[7] Grammostola rosea spiders are renowned for going for long periods without eating.

That's one pretty ****ing long lifespan. Expect for males, but I assume most pet tarantulas are female.

Long time ago I also read some documents from a zoologist who said that he found tarantulas to be acting more like mammals than arachnids.

DameGreyWulf said:
the point is you shouldn't excuse someone for age, specifically when that age is well within the "I'm aware of what I'm doing" range.

There isn't a definite range for that. That's the reason why people are divided into age groups. A pre-teen is not aware of a ****ton of things he does.

DameGreyWulf said:
That kind of thinking is what makes it okay for my brother to break anything he gets angry at. He's 15, but according to my parents "He's just a young boy, he's going to do that."

No, it's not that kind of thinking. There's a big difference between trying to impress a group of people a pre-teen wants to belong to through harmless means and just irrationally breaking expensive stuff up.

Radalan said:
Ambalon said:
Radalan said:
I had a mouse when I was 14, then it died.

Well, apparently you're wrong.

Wikipedia:
Tarantulas may live for years—most species taking 2 to 5 years to reach adulthood, but some species may take up to 10 years to reach full maturity. Upon reaching adulthood, males typically have but a 1 to 1.5 year period left to live and will immediately go in search of a female with which to mate. Male tarantulas rarely moult again once they reach adulthood. The oldest spider, according to Guinness World Records, lived to be 49 years old.

Females will continue to moult after reaching maturity. Female specimens have been known to reach 30 to 40 years of age, and have survived on water alone for up to 2 years.[7] Grammostola rosea spiders are renowned for going for long periods without eating.

That's one pretty ****ing long lifespan. Expect for males, but I assume most pet tarantulas are female.

Long time ago I also read some documents from a zoologist who said that he found tarantulas to be acting more like mammals than arachnids.
Ambalon said:
Turns out my guess was far off.
That said, that's a pretty big difference between male and female's lifespan.  :shock:

Rory_Gallagher said:
DameGreyWulf said:
the point is you shouldn't excuse someone for age, specifically when that age is well within the "I'm aware of what I'm doing" range.

There isn't a definite range for that. That's the reason why people are divided into age groups. A pre-teen is not aware of a ****ton of things he does.

DameGreyWulf said:
That kind of thinking is what makes it okay for my brother to break anything he gets angry at. He's 15, but according to my parents "He's just a young boy, he's going to do that."

No, it's not that kind of thinking. There's a big difference between trying to impress a group of people a pre-teen wants to belong to through harmless means and just irrationally breaking expensive stuff up.

Except for when trying to impress coincides with breaking ****, and I was generally speaking of being allowed to get away with being a douchebag.
Never too young to learn to not be superficial.

Tarantula's quite a *****, actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf8pAwGsuF4

Camel Spiders a teh ****, though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDFtHt5wJ_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TupPmULP2hk  (only video I've found, the the scorpion wins in) (ignore them whiny Yanks  :razz:)

Pretty far off base on my age considering I work, I don't live in my parents basement and I'm in the military. And I've decided on the Emperor Scorpion and probably will blow my money to watch them fight.
I like how maturity is gauged by someones interests in pets though because you know I can't wait to be badass as soon as I get that Scorpion I'ma be just sooooo coool all the girls will say Hey Jaws aren't you just like Fonzie.

IfJawsCouldWalk said:
I'ma be just sooooo coool all the girls will say Hey Jaws aren't you just like Fonzie.

Hey Jaws aren't you just like Jaws.

jaws.jpg

I would let them fight, but the Scorpion has a pretty clear advantage. It's not particularly fair.

Get two Tarantulas to fight*. Not scorpions though, scorpions fights are fun but dreadfully short. It's pretty much who can rush their tail the fastest, then it's over.

After taking care of them and making them comfortable for a while of course. Getting two animals and then immediately having them fight would be pretty ****ty.  :neutral:

IfJawsCouldWalk said:
Pretty far off base on my age considering I work, I don't live in my parents basement and I'm in the military. And I've decided on the Emperor Scorpion and probably will blow my money to watch them fight.
I like how maturity is gauged by someones interests in pets though because you know I can't wait to be badass as soon as I get that Scorpion I'ma be just sooooo coool all the girls will say Hey Jaws aren't you just like Fonzie.

Sorry for peeking in here but I feel the need to say something to this comment. 

I honestly don't think, for one minute, that people are basing your age on what "interesting" pet you are deciding to get and/or put to death.  I truly believe, and guy/gals correct me if I'm wrong, that they are basing it on the way you present yourself.  I wouldn't have placed you over 14 years of age and I'll be totally honest with you.  It's hard to believe you have one hair on a nut, let alone in the military, allowed to carry a gun or be responsible for protecting a country.  Not only from this post but from some of your others.

Ok I'm done and I'm out.  We'll return you to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress. 

Back
Top Bottom