tactics and playstyles

Users who are viewing this thread

Dalloskid

Sergeant
I don't often do this as I usually can figure it out for myself, but at the moment I'm struggling to figure out a way to not get slaughtered in sieges as antarian troops. Ive tried drawing fire with a shield wall, but they would still slaughter me with arrows after they stop firing.
So basically curious as to how you guys play :smile: including how you start off, where you go, just your playstyles
also if you have any stlyes for other factions please feel free to share!

Antarian troops are not good for sieges overall....Marinian, Rhodok, and Villianese are best IMO.  The only time I see heavy losses is when I'm assisting an ally on a siege, defending an ally's holdings, or forced to order my archers to charge the walls instead of just holding position and sweeping them clean...and in the first 2 scenarios, the heavy losses are NOT mine.

Basically, when I start the siege, I immediately order Hold Fire (long range = less accurate, waste of ammo).  Order to Hold Position at a good wall ranging distance, which all or most of my ranged units will have no problem reaching since they pull out their shields when ordered to hold fire, then order them all to stand closer 2 or 3 times so half my force isn't sitting way off to one side or the other never shooting a shot, and then finally order them to fire at will.

Once the initial pack of enemy are swept off the wall, I order hold fire again so everyone isn't shooting at the same leftover unit or three (again, to prevent waste of ammo having 30 arrows strike the same target), wait for the next wave to cluster around the wall breach site, and open fire again.

Using those tactics with nothing but ranged units in my siege warband, I'll clear 150-200 units out of the pool of defenders before running out of arrows/bolts, at which point I order the charge for cleanup.

Cleanup phase gets expensive, especially if there are a significant # of enemy heavy infantry/cavalry still alive...but as soon as my first reinforcements wave appears and charges into the fray they'll do as much shooting as meleeing...and the remaining enemy will fall like wheat to a scythe.

As for how I start out:  If I'm not going to 'cheat' by importing my incredibly rich current character (36 million in the bank generating 600k+ per week interest, another few mil built up in the treasury, and a few mil on hand for training and such) then I just take my initial troops and haul them around from melee tournament to melee tournament.  I say melee because tournaments that feature primarily ranged fights are almost guaranteed losers early on until you get your health and archery/crossbow skill way up.  Save before joining the tourny, and then bet max every round.
Good tournaments to join are anything except Rhodok, Marinian, or Villianese..all 3 factions feature more ranged than melee.  Nord and Zerrikanian tournaments are VERY easy to win since there's almost no ranged...it's all axe/shield or heavy swords.
I prefer to use a bow instead of a crossbow because you can shoot faster, and once you get your strength up for higher power draw levels, and your bow skill up for accuracy, you can still 1 hit pretty much anything.  With a bow that requires PD 9, using 1 large quiver of +9 arrows and 1 large quiver of +12 (haven't found another +12 batch anywhere yet), my average damage per shot is 90-100. 

While doing the tournament circuit to build up levels and money keep a close eye on the political scene.  In the event that things are shaking out into alliances that are strongly lopsided (4 vs 8 for example), you might consider joining one of the 8 temporarily just to sow dissension by attacking caravans belonging to one of that faction's current allies...and then abandoning the faction.  If there's a faction who hasn't formed alliances yet, you can start scouting all their castles/towns for one with a small garrison that you can use to start your own faction.

Thats kinda the conclusion I have come to. because Even after I draw most of their arrows with a Black army shield wall, they charge in and die... even the elites  :???:

The betting in this mod is crazy in comparison to other mods... 5000 per round? Wow!

I've been playing warband for a long time, but somehow this mod seems different to any others ive tried. Mainly the fact you start with an army, as usually you have to build from the ground up.

I think next time I play this mod I'll have ago of the Villianese, as I'm not keen or Marinian and I don't fancy playing with native factions.

Still like to hear from anyone else! :smile: I'm interested in how people play.

Well, if you prefer using crossbows for the steady aim w/o the 'weakening' effect you get holding aim with a regular bow...or just for the higher base damage, flatter trajectories, and MUCH easier requirements to use (12 strength for an Arbalest vs 27 strength for the PD 9 recurve bow I"m using) then you might want to consider the Marinians.

Also, a good starter can be Aden.  They have strong cavalry that is fairly easily trained with fewer stages to start training it than Swadia has...and is about equivalent to Swadian cavalry.  I pretty much only use Ranged and Cavalry units, no infantry.  Ranged in sieges, cavalry everywhere else for speed of movement (catching those pesky enemy lords).

Villian has pretty much non existent cavalry, decent infantry, and moderately strong ranged.  Marina / Rhodoks have stronger ranged that are halfway decent infantry, but in a fight between Villian ranged and Marina/Rhodok ranged I think the Vills would win just from rate of fire.

I've never started as Zerrikan...might do that just to see what they can really do.  I know they have a strong infantry and decent cavalry, but I know nothing about their ranged.

It should create a strong enough kingdom since they have alot of blunt weapons, if you leave prisoners in a garrison for long enough they join their ranks. One problem i sometime had was just that, lords would empty the fief's garrison and never replenish them but with alot of prisoners its not an issue anymore.

I myself started as adenian but without abusing their cavalry otherwise it would just get boring, if you look at the sub mod it buffs the infantry and archers a bit which should make an interesting play-trough.

I also start most of the time picking on rhodoks so my backs against a wall, which makes it easier to deal with certain factions, although it feels a bit like an exploit since their infantry is garbage unless their top tier.

Abusing Adenian cavalry will pretty much beat everyone, you may take some losses fighting Antarians, but should win.

It helps to use some other units to kill adenians. Leaving them for last can be helpful, their garrisons are easy.

I suggest going from town to town recruiting a siege force. You don't need to use Antarians, you just use anybody else who is worth a darn. Keep your siege team sequestered in a tower or town somewhere, and when it is time to take cities, dig them out, put them in front, and go to work.

Back
Top Bottom