Swordsman creation (Sword + Shield)

Users who are viewing this thread

StrikeQ

Sergeant
I just stumbled across this game on Steam this evening. Downloaded the demo and played for awhile then went right back to purchase the full version. I'm very much enjoying it (not that I've done much more that a few training grounds sessions).

I still have much to learn, but I'm wondering if anyone had any advice for starting options/stat distribution to use to create a character to play as a swordsman. Using a 1 hander and a shield primarily. Most likely with Archery as a back up to help clear the walls. Fighting on foot vs on horse back doesn't make much difference as I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of both.

Anyway, off to learn more about the game; thank you for your time.

Starting off as a footman is the hardest thing one can do at the beginning of the game when the player is relatively alone.
But anyways, the info you wanted.

Power strike for damage, its usefulness is as important across all the roles that one can play, be it horse archer, to a pikeman.

Pathfinding is also a good all rounder, map speed determines who and where you fight.

Athletics- this one shares the same importance on riding, depending on whether you want to be a mounted during fights, or on foot most of the time.

Surgery, a must.

Scouting is also important, though you could give it to one of your companions.

Tactics, only useful if you're not using extremely large battle sizes with the battlesizer mod.

Leadership is important if you want an army NOW, renown more then makes up for the party size when you accumulate enough.

Surgery is useless at the start. It changes dead troops to unconscious troops which you don't need to do until you have hired some recruits. Wound Treatment is a better choice.

Bring athletics to 6 ASAP, then power strike to around 8 (or whatever you need it to be to one-shot lightly-armored troops), then keep pumping athletics to max.

Picking all the "knight-like" options works for me (son of noble -> warrior -> squire) etc.

@StrikeQ

As "swordsman" i would chose at character creation :

1. Male
2. A veteran warrior
3. A street urchin
4. A squire
5. Personal revenge

Increase Agility and Strengt for Powerstrike and Athletics.

Fighting on foot vs on horse back doesn't make much difference as I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of both.

I advise you to fight by horse back :wink:. 2 reasons - it´s a lot easier and you will faster face enemy. I only fight by foot, to besiege or defend cities and castles.

stra said:
@StrikeQ

As "swordsman" i would chose at character creation :

1. Male
2. A veteran warrior
3. A street urchin
4. A squire
5. Personal revenge

Increase Agility and Strengt for Powerstrike and Athletics.

Fighting on foot vs on horse back doesn't make much difference as I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of both.

I advise you to fight by horse back :wink:. 2 reasons - it´s a lot easier and you will faster face enemy. I only fight by foot, to besiege or defend cities and castles.

That is basically how I planned to do so. Fight on horse back in open field battles, and on foot when sieging or defending (hopefully a lot of both).

Thanks all for the replies.

I usually choose A Craftmans Apprentice instead of Street Urchin, gives you 11 starting strength and 7 agility if you use the list posted above but with a craftmans apprentice instead.

I get page at noble mans court and squire, and personal revenge, I get 11 str 7 ag/ 6 int/ 7 cha. a well balanced character.

now he has 27 str at lvl 27.... should be 30 by lvl 30....

Consider picking crossbows instead of archery. Crossbows can be useful without putting a lot of points in it, which you can then put in onehanders instead.

When mounted, you will trample and kill very easy a lot of enemies... the mess start when your horse cripple. You will need a large and resistant shield just in case you fall behind enemy lines... you can save your ass in different ways BUT if u have a good hard shield, you can try to survive backpedaling and going shield up, while your troops come to save you.. when your troops engage your surrounding enemies, you can start beating them behind while your troops beat them from ahead.

I suggest you first to rise at least weaponmaster 3 and powerstrike 3... then shields 3, optionally horse riding3 for heavy hunter horse, a good balanced scimitar/sabre with kite shield for horseback, a good balanced war/battle axe for sieges or close quarters combat.

scimitar/sabre = nice speed and reach
axe = awesome damage, lot of shieldbreaking but lesser reach/speed

i did weaponmaster 5 first of all to achieve weaponskill really fast (more weaponskill, more speed and damage with that weapon... that mean you can hit and shield in close combat against multiple melee without getting hurt) and then go by str/powerstrike for hp/damage... later on, athletics, charisma, leadership.... depends on playstile.

another thing, you will rise ironflesh when you will start wearing 50pt armor. when you wear 50-60pt armor, less damage you get and more hp you have, can turn the tide of a siege.

when you get the walls in a siege assault, your troops generally pick a route to kill enemies (left or right from the ladder) in this case, you can go the opposite side to kill enemies and then flank or get behind enemy lines while your troops charge frontally. by this way, you can split the  defenders trying to kill you (this way your mates can be safer frontally) or hackslash them when enemy combat. You will need a lot of armor/hp/shield/weaponskill/athletics to optimize a good siege... imho i can siege a city 100vs300 with 20-30 losses (character lvl35, companions like firentis/alayen/nizar/rolf all level 25-28 combat trained, 60 huscarls, 30 archers to hold position on the enemy walls.

oh man, you gotta love that swordsman.... 20 troops bashing your 1080hp board shield while your tanks trample them... priceless  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom