swadia and their ranged units

Users who are viewing this thread

True, but then only rhodoks would have xbows and thats why they don't have longbowmen; Remember its just a game, it don't have to be historically accurate.

I never really thought of the factions as specific countries but rather regions. As such I considered Swadia to be Western Europe meaning England, France, Germany, Spain... Most of which used crossbows more than longbows.

Under this thought Rhodoks would be Eastern Europe/Mediterranean. Romania (if it was around in 1500's not sure) Hungary, Lithuania, Italy..

Nords would be Northern Europe, Norway, Denmark, and Sweden.

Vaegirs would be Western edge of Asia (think russian)

Khergits would be mid Asia steppes of mongolia and such.

Sultinate is obviously mid-east.

I'd guess that Swadia is closer to France.  Names like Montewar, Clais, Delinard, Mirchaud, Devilain.  Best equipment in the game (France was rich, England was poor).  Heavy cavalry etc.

As far as Rhodoks, I always though they were inspired by Swiss Confederacy. They rebelled against Swadia (France), and relied on pike formations.  And Wilhelm Tell was a crossbowman, of course. :wink:

Sarranids would be Sassanids.  I guess they ran out of original names by then.

Swadia: Swabia/Holy Roman Empire
Vaegirs: Russians/Byzantines
Khergits: Mongols/Turks
Nords: Vikings/Danes
Rhodoks: Swiss/Scots/Hussites
Sarranids: Sassanids, Mamluke Sultanate

Anyways. These are what the factions are loosely based off of.
Swadia could never be England, simply because they are renowned for their warhorses, and predominantly use crossbows. Their strength is heavy-cavalry.

In fact, the Nords are closer to the English. Or at least, the Saxons.

Hm, I think Sarranids and Vaegirs should switch their builds.
Russians/Slavs/Byzantines have never been known for their archery. At least no battles comes to my mind, where their archers changed the outcome. On the other hand Middle Eastern cultures had bows as their traditional weapon for thousands of years.

Rhodocks - aren't they more like the Italians? Republics, genuese crossbowman and such...

Russians actually were known for their archery, especially compared to Western European counterparts. Influence of steppe cultures of their neighbours.

And Italians were famous for heavy cavalry and not for pikemen. But given Rhodocks are known for olives, wine and velvet, there might be connection.

What is most indicative of inspiration behind factions are their titles. But its very loose inspiration, you should not spend too much time speculating about it. All factions are more or less fantastic.

hruza said:
And Italians were famous for heavy cavalry and not for pikemen. But given Rhodocks are known for olives, wine and velvet, there might be connection.
Rhodoks seem to be based on Italic rebels, so its obvious they had cheap polearms to stop knights, and xbow to kill them.

Rallix said:

Where do you see the Byzantine influences? I think they are primarily Slavic based, maybe there are some Byzantine elements because of the influence the historical Byzantines had on the historical (Eastern) Slavs?

if you turn the world map so swadia is on the left rhodok underneath nords on top vaegirs to the right kherg then saranid

kind of is a crude formation of europe is how i always saw it.

SMST said:
Rallix said:
Where do you see the Byzantine influences? I think they are primarily Slavic based, maybe there are some Byzantine elements because of the influence the historical Byzantines had on the historical (Eastern) Slavs?
Well, I think of them like the eastern half of a broken (Roman/Calradic)empire.
The original versions of Mount & Blade started out with only two factions; the Swadians and Vaegirs.
Archetypical western/eastern nations respectively.

Keep in mind that the Khergits kicked the Vaegirs out of what is now referred to as the Khergit Khanate.
This implies that the Vaegirs once had territories to the south as well.

Just as the Mongolia took Russia.

Swadia is HRE
Veagirs is Russia
Rhodok is northern Italy/Milan
Nords is like a mix between Saxon and vikings.
Sarranids  are Arabs.
Kherghit is western mongols that took Turkey and middle east.

Rallix said:
SMST said:
Rallix said:
Well, I think of them like the eastern half of a broken (Roman/Calradic)empire.
The original versions of Mount & Blade started out with only two factions; the Swadians and Vaegirs.
Archetypical western/eastern nations respectively.

Hmm. Aren't the kingdoms that inhabit the lands of Calradia now all the subject tribes of the former empire (the old ruling class haven disappeared or blended with the natives) and not actual successors to it? At least for me from the companion lore it comes across like this. Furthermore, the Vaegirs don't feel especially "imperial" to me.

And wasn't the really old lore that the Vaegir nobles broke away from the Swadians, who wanted to enslave them or something?

Keep in mind that the Khergits kicked the Vaegirs out of what is now referred to as the Khergit Khanate.
This implies that the Vaegirs once had territories to the south as well.

Yeah, I knew that. However, as Armie_knock pointed out, it could be just a reference to the Mongol conquest of Eastern Europe. Mongols did not fight Byzantines, as far as I know.

---

I like to think that off the map, there exists a remnant of the Calradian empire. Perhaps across the sea in the West, as Firentis points out that the emperors came "from overseas", bringing grapes and olives to Calradia. (suggesting a mediterranean setting in the "Imperial homelands")

Armie_knock said:

Swadia is HRE
  Armament is OK, but names don't fit.  I can't recall a single germanic sounding name in Swadia.  I suppose the only reason people oppose France, is because in *recent* history France didn't show itself well in wars.  That's very recent history.  It basically started after Napoleonic period.  During medieval times France kicked ass, and Germans did not.  England is out of question for me, until you factor in French territories they claimed.  England was some poor, small and fairly weak country on the outskirts of civilized world.  Their ruling class didn't even speak English.  They considered themselves to be French. 
Veagirs is Russia
  I'd go with that too, but only because nothing else fits any better.  Vaegirs are weird...
  Why not Switzerland?  Armament fits just as well, and names fit much better.  You have a mix of French sounding names, like Reland, Tridian, Tremabu and some German sounding names like Gutlans, Gerluchs or Raichs.  What's wrong with this interpretation? 
  Definitely not.  I used to think they were, and I was annoyed that Taleworlds put in such anachronistic faction, but actually they did all right and I was just ignorant.  Nords are based on *medieval* Scandinavian kingdoms, not Dark Age kingdoms.  Viking swords were so rare, they had names, spears and knives often too.  Maile was rare and prohibitively expensive,  and most army didn't even have helmets.  Sea Raiders might be considered vikings, because it actually was an occupation, not a nation, so in this sense it fits.
Sarranids  are Arabs.
  I think you are right.  I was fooled by name similarity, but of course Sassanids are much to early.  Egyptian Abbasid dynasty under the Mamluk rule seems to fit all right, though.
  Well, not really took it.  They rarely truly seized control, just sacked cities and extorted some tribute, but they didn't really rule over "their territory".  And it lasted for only three years in the Middle East anyway.

bakters said:
Armie_knock said:

Swadia is HRE
  Armament is OK, but names don't fit.  I can't recall a single germanic sounding name in Swadia.  I suppose the only reason people oppose France, is because in *recent* history France didn't show itself well in wars.  That's very recent history.  It basically started after Napoleonic period.  During medieval times France kicked ass, and Germans did not.  England is out of question for me, until you factor in French territories they claimed.  England was some poor, small and fairly weak country on the outskirts of civilized world.  Their ruling class didn't even speak English.  They considered themselves to be French. 
Veagirs is Russia
  I'd go with that too, but only because nothing else fits any better.  Vaegirs are weird...
  Why not Switzerland?  Armament fits just as well, and names fit much better.  You have a mix of French sounding names, like Reland, Tridian, Tremabu and some German sounding names like Gutlans, Gerluchs or Raichs.  What's wrong with this interpretation? 
  Definitely not.  I used to think they were, and I was annoyed that Taleworlds put in such anachronistic faction, but actually they did all right and I was just ignorant.  Nords are based on *medieval* Scandinavian kingdoms, not Dark Age kingdoms.  Viking swords were so rare, they had names, spears and knives often too.  Maile was rare and prohibitively expensive,  and most army didn't even have helmets.  Sea Raiders might be considered vikings, because it actually was an occupation, not a nation, so in this sense it fits.
Sarranids  are Arabs.
  I think you are right.  I was fooled by name similarity, but of course Sassanids are much to early.  Egyptian Abbasid dynasty under the Mamluk rule seems to fit all right, though.
  Well, not really took it.  They rarely truly seized control, just sacked cities and extorted some tribute, but they didn't really rule over "their territory".  And it lasted for only three years in the Middle East anyway.

what he says  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom