SP - General Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

I have currently played Bannerlord for 409 hours and I honestly love the game. Having said that there are some troubling aspects of the game that I would like to offer some suggestions on that I believe would extremely enhance gameplay and immersion:

• The siege towers are, with all due respect, awful. Siege towers are designed to have 2 or more floors with stairs, not ladders, that allow upwards of 60 to 100 men to sit safely inside the walls. When the gate falls there should be a shield wall that can rush across the platform to occupy a space on the wall. Sieges are unbelievably costly in lives already, but this mechanic makes it all the more costly due to the left and right ladders not being utilized by troops and soldiers are getting picked off entirely too easily.
  • The siege camp emplacements should be farther back from the walls and the small palisades should be moved into position by troops and not already constructed a mere 50 meters from the walls as this would be impossible to accomplish in any siege.
  • Defending soldiers at the main gate should not be in a rectangular formation sitting far from the gate as that can allow for an easily flanked position while they're sitting in a shield wall. Instead they should be positioned in a half circle around the gate in order to encapsulate attackers.
  • The shield wall should look similar to that of the Roman Testudo where the lines behind the front can place their shields over the heads of all ranks of the formation.
  • There should be morale bonuses for factions fighting in their own land or in territory in which they are accustomed such as the Aserai being able to maneuver quicker in desert environments, Battanians using the forests for advantage, and the Sturgians also using the mountainous terrain to create choke points.
  • There are many acts committed in the game which seem to have no repercussions at all such as burning/looting villages and attacking caravans. These actions were used by raiding hordes and criminals, albeit some "chivalric" characters have done this, but having every mercenary and vassal burn down villages and attacking basically defenseless caravans is pretty preposterous.
  • Prisoners who are recruited into your armies should have a chance to betray you in battle because after all they did serve a different lord that you either humiliated or beheaded.
  • Going back to every vassal burning down villages, there is also the fact that everyone seems to be ok with just taking prisoners and ransoming them or putting them in a dungeon even if they're dishonorable and there is never any executions by or of the more unsavory lords and ladies of the world.
  • Looters throwing small handheld rocks should not be able to inflict as much damage as they do and looters themselves should not be able to inflict high damage on anyone that has mid-tier armor or better.
  • You should be able to command parties to protect/patrol certain regions such as trade routes you own or certain regions within territories in order to control the looter and bandit populations. Whenever there is constant faction warfare there seems to be a ridiculous amount of bandits and looters, understandable because of the chaos of warfare, but there should be a viable option for minor clans to basically "police" certain regions of the map in order to keep the economy up to a certain standard or for minor clans to specialize in policing regions with high banditry and looting.
  • Caravans should be able to grow and the more well established the trade routes are should be able to allow villages to become trading posts with better militias or even small garrisons that expand their sphere of influence for reinforcing friendly/neutral forces from hostile actions.
  • Parties should be able to specialize in certain tactics such as hit and run guerilla tactics for patrolling or harassing small forces, assault parties that can take out camps, defensive parties that can set up fortified camps at choke points, etc.
  • You and other parties should be able to set up fortifications such as camps to allow for quicker healing and food gathering, as history shows civilians didn't care for housing armies inside the city unless it was a siege.
  • Icons on the clans banners are slightly off center and are more towards the right. It would also be nice to have more color options.
  • Banners should receive battle streamers to show campaigns that the party has participated in such as a green streamer for capturing a Battanian castle or town and their should be tiers of the streamers such as: one capture gives a blank green streamer, 5 gives a green streamer with a silver border, 10 gives a streamer with a gold border. Streamers could also only be earned if your party contributed at least 10-20% of the kills based on how big the army is leading the siege. Titles should also be awarded to leaders such as: of the Mountains, Bane of the Khuzaits, Scourge of Aserai, etc.
  • Defensive victories should embolden defenders permanently and settlements and/or castles should receive trophies on the turrets and walls displaying their victories such as captured banners displayed by the gates or heads of attackers on pikes (lord heads or helmets).
  • The limit should be set to at least 2,500 in terms of battle size limit as it is a terrible disadvantage to have troops coming in that can be rode down by circling cavalry just because the battle limit is 1,000.
  • When creating your own kingdom clans should also be programmed to be able to seek you out to join you based on your renown and relationships. It's taxing to try and track down individual clans when building a kingdom and trying to defend it as well when a clan can leave you immediately after taking your money which happened to me twice in two days when successfully recruiting two larger clans to my kingdom who took my money and then immediately left and joined my enemies.
  • There should be a T5 troop for caravans besides the caravan master.
These are just some things that I have thought about while playing the game. As I said I love this game as it is quite nice to be able to play an individual character in a Total War setting. I've fought for multiple factions and have participated in numerous sieges as both an attacker and a defender as both a vassal and a mercenary. I believe this game could become an even stronger benchmark to the genre if some of these aspects above are fixed and/or implemented. On the current campaign I am playing slowly, as intended, and am about to reach Tier 4 while having 3 war parties, 4 workshops, and 4 caravans to sustain myself as an independent clan. My caravans are getting caught by looters somehow and even though that is highly frustrating it does not dissuade me from continuing but I think it highlights an issue when a fast moving caravan can be caught by looters on foot who number 50 or more, because that's what it would take to take down a caravan of mixed T2-T4 troops. I know the game is still in Early Access and I am still a big supporter, but these changes could bring this game to a new level of immersion.

Last edited:
No Elephants, no interest.
What an incredibly relevant and constructive post considering there aren't any elephant friendly environments in this game such as savannahs or jungles. If there were any African or Indian cultures in the game then I would have suggested elephants and more than likely they would already been in the game upon release. The fact that you based your vote entirely on one missing feature of an essay of suggestions is absolutely baffling.

What an incredibly relevant and constructive post considering there aren't any elephant friendly environments in this game such as savannahs or jungles. If there were any African or Indian cultures in the game then I would have suggested elephants and more than likely they would already been in the game upon release. The fact that you based your vote entirely on one missing feature of an essay of suggestions is absolutely baffling.

The lack of War Elephants or War Mammoths or more exotic mounts in general in a game that prides itself on having a highly adjustable and modifiable skeleton system to enable just that is even more baffling.

The lack of War Elephants or War Mammoths or more exotic mounts in general in a game that prides itself on having a highly adjustable and modifiable skeleton system to enable just that is even more baffling.
I'm not arguing that point, I'm commenting on your reply to not provide any commentary on the suggestions laid out above. Instead you decided to focus on the one thing you want (because I saw your post asking for War Elephants in Bannerlord Wishlist) and decided to only post something negative. It's a free world so you can do what you want, I'm just amazed that you would intend to be so callous when I put a lot of thought and effort into these suggestions.

Most of the suggestions are very good.

I´d group them if I were you into categories and sort them and bold the first sentence to better grep the individual suggestions.
In general, such multisuggestion - threads gets low response unfortunatly.

My top 3 forvoirites are:

You should be able to command parties to protect/patrol certain regions such as trade routes you own or certain regions within territories in order to control the looter and bandit populations. Whenever there is constant faction warfare there seems to be a ridiculous amount of bandits and looters, understandable because of the chaos of warfare, but there should be a viable option for minor clans to basically "police" certain regions of the map in order to keep the economy up to a certain standard or for minor clans to specialize in policing regions with high banditry and looting.

Especially if you mean "As a clan-leader, you should be able to command your clan- parties to..."

If what you ment were "As a faction ruler, you should be able to command your vassal-parties to..." I suggest a better AI along with a "Exclude party from joing armies" mechanism - Each faction should be expected to have atleast one party either joining armies or leading them. They should aim to have one patrulling thier demesne if they have more than 1 party. The default setting is as is.

You and other parties should be able to set up fortifications such as camps to allow for quicker healing and food gathering, as history shows civilians didn't care for housing armies inside the city unless it was a siege.

Yes and upgrading it to fort and even a hideout as in Viking Conquest.

Caravans should be able to grow and the more well established the trade routes are should be able to allow villages to become trading posts with better militias or even small garrisons that expand their sphere of influence for reinforcing friendly/neutral forces from hostile actions.

This would be really cool!
With high security, villages should get basic defensive structures(pallisades maybe a watchtower - amount could come from prosperity or village -buildings). Caravans entering the connected city should have a significant boost to village defender quality. It should not be easy to raid a prsoperious village. However, when successfully looting a prosperious village should be alot more rewarding. The influensive landowners in a prosperious village should be rich.

I'm not arguing that point, I'm commenting on your reply to not provide any commentary on the suggestions laid out above. Instead you decided to focus on the one thing you want (because I saw your post asking for War Elephants in Bannerlord Wishlist) and decided to only post something negative. It's a free world so you can do what you want, I'm just amazed that you would intend to be so callous when I put a lot of thought and effort into these suggestions.

I'm willing to change my vote for a small addition of War Elephants into your list of suggestions.

I'm willing to change my vote for a small addition of War Elephants into your list of suggestions.

I´d suggest you to write your own suggestion-thread instead of enforcing your preferences to others suggestions.

This thread is mainly about tweaking/expanding upon existing functinality rather than implementing entirely new concepts.
If you think every suggestion not suggesting War Elefants is bad, that´s on you.

I´d suggest you to write your own suggestion-thread instead of enforcing your preferences to others suggestions.

This thread is mainly about tweaking/expanding upon existing functinality rather than implementing entirely new concepts.
If you think every suggestion not suggesting War Elefants is bad, that´s on you.
I already did that, should I link it ?

1. Totally agree, they replace ladders, take more time, can't preloaded it and in most sieges wall defenders over run it.

Note: Also siege equipment like, catapults, and onagers should be destroyed by defenders siege equipment, since onagers are long range, and catapults are deployable.

4. I dont agree with this one, Testudo is a thing, shield wall is another and that you said is other. It would be nice to have them, the three.
  • Special Formations/Tactics: that are unlocked for certain factions and could be unlocked later in perk tree would be nice
  • Ex: Testudo, Horse Archer Circle, etc.
Note: Shield wall is good vs other infantry/cavalry. Testudo mostly used in sieges (since is and advance version of square), and "half testudo" (rise shields) vs archers. Pd: also testudo lost its usage because of the v shape of medieval shields, so that should be considered too.

6. Yeah so much raiding, I think this should be a kingdom policy, like for example:
  • Allow raiding/ Only Caravan raiding/ Only Fief/ Forbade it.
Note: Also sieging fief should make you lose relation with owner when at war. And lords with honorable trait should raid either.

9. I half agree, I have to say that is annoying that most lotter throw rocks, and also that such rocks deal so much damage, though rocks can kill and can be deadly when aimed right (mostly to the head). So in other words less rock throwers, reduced damge but higher dame when hitting head/face.
Note: Also would be nice to have slings and so.
10. Totally agree. I made a post about being able to give a party/lord a fief in order for it to restock, recieve incomes from it and pay its wages on its own with that fief, maybe even recieve a tax from him/her. Also lords should focus more on protecting their own holdings and their clan holdings.

I didnt mention other points, cuz I agree with them and had nothing to add.

1. Totally agree, they replace ladders, take more time, can't preloaded it and in most sieges wall defenders over run it.

Note: Also siege equipment like, catapults, and onagers should be destroyed by defenders siege equipment, since onagers are long range, and catapults are deployable.

4. I dont agree with this one, Testudo is a thing, shield wall is another and that you said is other. It would be nice to have them, the three.
  • Special Formations/Tactics: that are unlocked for certain factions and could be unlocked later in perk tree would be nice
  • Ex: Testudo, Horse Archer Circle, etc.
Note: Shield wall is good vs other infantry/cavalry. Testudo mostly used in sieges (since is and advance version of square), and "half testudo" (rise shields) vs archers. Pd: also testudo lost its usage because of the v shape of medieval shields, so that should be considered too.

6. Yeah so much raiding, I think this should be a kingdom policy, like for example:
  • Allow raiding/ Only Caravan raiding/ Only Fief/ Forbade it.
Note: Also sieging fief should make you lose relation with owner when at war. And lords with honorable trait should raid either.

9. I half agree, I have to say that is annoying that most lotter throw rocks, and also that such rocks deal so much damage, though rocks can kill and can be deadly when aimed right (mostly to the head). So in other words less rock throwers, reduced damge but higher dame when hitting head/face.
Note: Also would be nice to have slings and so.
10. Totally agree. I made a post about being able to give a party/lord a fief in order for it to restock, recieve incomes from it and pay its wages on its own with that fief, maybe even recieve a tax from him/her. Also lords should focus more on protecting their own holdings and their clan holdings.

I didnt mention other points, cuz I agree with them and had nothing to add.
Great points, I mention Testudo as kind of a generality because the Romans used it in many different ways.

I completely forgot about the Horse Archer Circle to be honest, but now that you mentioned it the way the horse archers circle is awful at times as well, constantly watch them running into walls of spears. I get that I should be controlling them, but in a main battle where I have to monitor multiple fronts it becomes an absolute pain to watch.

Yes, at least give the looters slings or something.

Also agree, I hate whenever in a new playthrough I am given a castle (town on rare occasion) and I'm left with an awful garrison only to watch an 1,000+ army make their way over to my newly acquired, damaged, and outnumbered fief. Which brings another point... Why can't we recruit in Castles? They have villages assigned to them so they're not just fortresses, they're just a well fortified village.

Also agree, I hate whenever in a new playthrough I am given a castle (town on rare occasion) and I'm left with an awful garrison only to watch an 1,000+ army make their way over to my newly acquired, damaged, and outnumbered fief. Which brings another point... Why can't we recruit in Castles? They have villages assigned to them so they're not just fortresses, they're just a well fortified village.
Yes, notables in castles!
Nobility notables who allways offer noble troops, is for holder and his liege only, more rare issues(harder to gain relation with) and a free recuitment-spot for holder. Slow recruit respawn

And.. Thinking the most powerful landowners in villages can also move to the castle. This way their issues and recruits are more "reserved" for the holder. Less "My rival stole my troops"! :O

Back
Top Bottom