Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

For Sumarliðr's sake I hope you are wrong. Otherwise it would be truly tragic. In the end, humour is the only thing we have to set against the sorrows we have to face. Humour is the ultimate form of resistance.

No he is not, but how do you know? In any case it can become quite tiresome to be constantly faced with demands for fairly special or simply irrelevant new factions.

Hospes fori said:
No he is not, but how do you know? In any case it can become quite tiresome to be constantly faced with demands for fairly special or simply irrelevant new factions.

But do we really have to take obvious trolls seriosly?

There was one in the early stages of the mod, when there was also dual wield, double berserkers and of course raptor mounts for the normans. At some point, all the good authentic stuff was ruled out due to balance issues.

Wernicke said:
Damn right-wing devs.

Wait, don't they like make this mod on their free time for free-of-charge equally for people who are active on forums as for people who are just native-nubs? That sure sounds as left-wing policies for me. But yeah I miss the raptors too...

Thanks Obama!

Hi all, I'm new in these boards, currently playing the latest version only. Especially during a special sunday event in the Australian community I am with. (LCC community has introduced your wonderful mod lately, and our shieldwall events reach 70 people during saturdays)

Anyway, during the shieldwall event we've played in 3-4 maps, with one particular consisting of a small wooden bridge allowing only 3 men... Now consider that situation for a 70 player session. -__-  Additionally we tried a siege... A siege fort where the fenced gatehouse creates a natural bottleneck. It former turned into a stand off as bodies of men fought on the bridge with barely any progress for 10 mins. And the siege was horrible for the semi-coordinated attackers compared to the defenders that can easily fill in cooperative roles due to the situation.

It is highly possible that what I am going to suggest was already suggested before; but I dare not look for it in the 200 page thread, my apologies.

I suggest, Shield Shoving/Push
-I am no coder so I do not even know if this is possible to implement, but who knows, the team might find a talented coder if they don't already have one
-I do not even know if the developers wish to improve further on this awesome mod; just content on bug fixing.
-but nevertheless, here goes:

Shield Brace/Push/Shove
-Holding the right mouse button and an additional key button will make players brace their shields. (probably RMB + B + W: to simulate moving forward and posing, the combination seems awkward but it's viable)
-Tapping or the first press of this combination will simulate a shove
-Two enemies bracing against each other simulate a push. But if it's only two of them it will have no effect other than looking like they're doing a Dragonball Z "fusion" with their shields. However, if an additional person (up to 2 persons) braces behind their friendly, they will push/shove. More people/layers means more strength in the shove. And the bigger force would often beat a smaller force unless the latter is more organized.
-kicks disable an enemy bracing
-a player must be standing in order to shield brace (you need to put your body to work you see)
-the push with the advantage will slowly move the opponent/s backward
-note that the pushed opponent is not stunned.
-Pushing distance is slow (probably less distance than that of a kick), however, for the 1st 1 second(or less) of tapping shield brace button represents a "shove" rather than a push and in this case the enemy is pushed back faster/farther. Proper simultaneous/timing of an entire team can beat the shove of a disorganized team just holding their brace buttons.
-With the speed enhancement of horns, the shove can turn into a shield charge, even resembling a kick that can knock down an enemy or at least stun them(usually happens if the enemy was kicked while he was swinging his weapon)

>this mechanic will partially solve the problem of the bridge battles consisting of 50+ players turning into stand offs.
>In open field battle, a compact force can drive through a spread out line with this mechanic.

More advanced mechanics of shield shoving
-this is asking too much, but let the ideas flow - in case a random person from bannerlord sees this.
-Whenever a player blocks with a shield, it is understood that it is equivalent to him parrying strikes with his shield (just not represented in game); now whenever a player braces with his shield he in comparison, blocking receiving the full impact of the blow. In this aspect, a braced shield will receive more damage and hence break faster if the player ain't attentive. This rule includes
-a person standing idle can at least jump back whenever an incoming cavalry charges them, or roll with his fall. But a braced person putting all his weight in his shield - it's akin to trying to be a rock against a wave. A cavalry bump to a braced person does 300% damage (that's half life man!). However, the chances of the rider falling is increased *but not that considerably*

In my opinion, bridge battles SHOULD be long stand-offs with high player numbers. It's only proper, and I don't see the problem there. Different maps are designed with different player numbers in mind, so just use a different map next time.

Shield shoves have been discussed before, and ruled out as impractical or too hard to implement properly. On top of that, I don't personally buy into the shieldwall/phalanx = shoving contest theory.

While I would love to see pushing and the laws of physics like that, it wouldn't be possible to implement properly in Warband. Also, our current developers will not add new features to the mod in any case. It's great that your community has taken an interest in our small mod, I hope you all enjoy it despite the problems - as Hróða said, choosing a map that is suitable for the numbers is of great importance.

hrotha said:
In my opinion, bridge battles SHOULD be long stand-offs with high player numbers. It's only proper, and I don't see the problem there. Different maps are designed with different player numbers in mind, so just use a different map next time.

Shield shoves have been discussed before, and ruled out as impractical or too hard to implement properly. On top of that, I don't personally buy into the shieldwall/phalanx = shoving contest theory.

So negative! Don't be so quick to turn your grumpy back. This shoving contest theory as you call it was the course of action to follow when two hosts met and made shield walls in Víkingr's period in history, you of all people should know this! It would still take considerable time for one wall to break another, but it should be possible.

Personally I would love to see this implemented into the mod. It's easy to just shrug it off and yell that Warband's hardcode sucks but I think such an awesome feature would be worth the work, or not, depending on how hard the coding would be.

Cheers to you FuryFire, you put a lot of thought into your post.  :smile:

Meh, I'm not convinced. Sounds to me like a great way for the whole first few rows to become unbalanced and unable to fight properly, not to mention possibly trampled to death. Spears were the weapon of choice, and yet this theory suggests the standard tactic was to render reach useless.

Well I knew it was a longshot, but how else can anyone implement the shieldwall mechanic XD
I may not have the coder's knowledge, but I can "feel" how the engine is created
Wonder if MnB2 could consider something akin to this.

The front rows can still strike, if you read closely, the shield push does not stun, and it has the disadvantage of having a more vulnerable shield. An opponent with an axe can hack away or kick-slash. The mechanics I suggest were just to add another option of dealing with bridge battles or tight confines.

It's not made to be as exact as real life battle just as much as upslash-sideward slash- trust is.

Anyway, there's these arguments in our community forums over the hatred of siege XD  How that wooden bridge battle gave 60+ people idle time for 75% of the round (Poor planning on the admin's part I suppose). They wanted more raids in the events but according to admins (not sure about the validity of this) that some raid maps are bugged.

Anyway, cheers to the great mod :grin:
Try opening your server browsers at 9pm AEST/GMT+10  on a saturday :smile: You might find the LCC_VikingR :grin:

FuryFire said:
Hi all, I'm new in these boards, currently playing the latest version only. Especially during a special sunday event in the Australian community I am with. (LCC community has introduced your wonderful mod lately, and our shieldwall events reach 70 people during saturdays)

Good news for Bjorn! haha

Vikings or any other warriors in any period, contrary to popular beliefs didn't push each other around with shields (SPARTANS! DON'T PUSH!). It would be a very painful suicide if they did. Speedy charge would be more likely, but I don't think devs will add anything more to the mod anytime soon, let alone something that big.

However - sprint charges would be awesome. If enough momentum would be accumulated you could even make your enemy fall to the ground! But it would be more of a quick thing rather than stupid and pointless wrestling, even more boring than what we have now.

I've had a little idea - pretty easy to script I think - on how to bring back berserker rapge in a form that is more realistic and works better in gameplay.

People from Nordmen faction would get a morale bonus do damage whenever they kill someone, bigger each time they kill. You would have to kill them in short period of time, like within 30 - 40 seconds from the last kill  (which rarely happens in small skirmishes in one round, but then this kind of rage wasn't very common either), next kills would give you boost for longer.
After killing about 3 - 4 people while still raging you'd heal slightly, to indicate that you start becoming immune to pain. Each next kill would heal bigger amount (leading to situations out of English chronicles about Stamford Bridge - one warrior being able to hold off 40 opposite champions).
Wearing heavy armour would make that process slower, as dedicated madmen despise metal body or head wrappings, however intense taunting could make it last longer. When you enter berserker rage the taunts could also change (this however I'm not sure how hard would be to script), from old norse insults that Yngvald and I (but mostly Yngvald) are working on, to mad screams and even animal - like sounds of growling and howling.

THIS IS NOT TO APPEAL TO PARTISAN RUSI BTW.

Back
Top Bottom