Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

How about an installer which lets you choose which features to include? In a very large pack like this, sometimes there are one or two things a person may not want, and this would be a good way to deal with it. Like right now I'm busy ripping out the new animations.

pada said:
make ale a consumable and have it give a good morale bonus. Always bugs me that buying ale for your troops is worthless, when back then it was probably the most popular thing to have with your food :smile:

+111111 to this idea.

Othello said:
How about an installer which lets you choose which features to include? In a very large pack like this, sometimes there are one or two things a person may not want, and this would be a good way to deal with it. Like right now I'm busy ripping out the new animations.
:mrgreen:
@Othello
Great Idea. Can't believe it's not already been discussed..
Maybe as well as choosing when installing, you could use it any time..
like Fallout or Oblivion's Mod-Managers.. ? 

Othello said:
Hieronymous said:
Great Idea. Can't believe it's not already been discussed..
Maybe as well as choosing when installing, you could use it any time..
like Fallout or Oblivion's Mod-Managers.. ?
Unfortunately modding Warband is not as "modular" as the process for Oblivion, for instance. Features, troops and items (as examples) would not be possible to have as a tick option to include or not, without having multiple versions of the files ready in the installer...and multiple versions of the .txt files implies multiple versions of the code and source mod...with multiple versions to track bugs through, update, etc, etc.

The only thing that would be straight forward to try and engineer like this would be things such as textures and animations...for which the FAQ includes instructions for removing by the user.

Personally, I'd rather spend time on new features, etc, than something like this...but I cannot speak for monnikje or Duh. Perhaps they see more merit in it than I.

pada said:
maybe lower the randomness of lords loyalty and such so that there isnt such a huge descrepancy between factions who field 12 lords when the marshal calls and those that field like 6, thus causing huge balance problems? and lower the % chance of defection somewhat? dunno if its possible to do either of these though, but it would probably help balance a lot the biggest balance problem seems to be some factions manage to field 1200-2000 troops while others only manage 800 when they cluster up, and over the course of a game this doesnt change much.
Completely agree.Is this possible?

Sure its possible...but the fact that a little less than 1/2 of the lords in each faction have randomly generated personalities at the start of each game is part of what makes every game run differently.

If this were taken away, there'd be much less dynamic behavior between games. I'm not sure why you'd want that. Sure, sometimes a certain faction is disadvantaged, but isn't that better than each faction behaving the same as the others and being the same every game?

Caba`drin said:
Sure its possible...but the fact that a little less than 1/2 of the lords in each faction have randomly generated personalities at the start of each game is part of what makes every game run differently.

If this were taken away, there'd be much less dynamic behavior between games. I'm not sure why you'd want that. Sure, sometimes a certain faction is disadvantaged, but isn't that better than each faction behaving the same as the others and being the same every game?

Now, I am trying my mod, I see that Rhodoks and Nords are a little strenghtened while Khergits play the same drama, but the unexpected happened. No Sarranid&Vaegir alliance happened when Vaegirs occupied Narra! So I am happy. I received an offer from king graveth. Now I am his vassal. Even 1 vs 2 battle is tough, I lose more than half of my troops, I hated new Teutons and retinue longbowman, both on horseback and infantry. But kinda interesting :cool: So, Caba drin is right here as we need such a variable for different results if we rule out other subtle variables like center wealth, etc.

Is there any way to give lords more money as their faction loses ground? My thinking is that in buffing a factions lords as their faction is attacked more and more, we could increase the ability of a faction to fight back - ie the closer to being wiped out they get, the more desperate and harder to kill they become, maybe even going so far as to spawn a 5000 man army when they lose their last castle or something like that.

I dont know how possible this is, i know factions can randomly return, but a mechanism to reverse the trend of a faction just becoming easier and easier to take down would add in interesting dimension and layer of difficulty to gameplay, if such a thing is reasonable to code and possible of course :smile:

pada said:
Is there any way to give lords more money as their faction loses ground? My thinking is that in buffing a factions lords as their faction is attacked more and more, we could increase the ability of a faction to fight back - ie the closer to being wiped out they get, the more desperate and harder to kill they become, maybe even going so far as to spawn a 5000 man army when they lose their last castle or something like that.

I dont know how possible this is, i know factions can randomly return, but a mechanism to reverse the trend of a faction just becoming easier and easier to take down would add in interesting dimension and layer of difficulty to gameplay, if such a thing is reasonable to code and possible of course :smile:

Could be possible but hard to implement, heh? :roll:

It would be possible, but highly unrealistic imo.

With an intense amount of work a similar endgame could be achieved by adding local, cultural support and defiance of occupiers to the game, but besides being rather complex to code, this would also require enormous balancing.

seem like it's already the case in my game XD  the sarranid are down to their last castle... and I just killed about 4000 of their men in 2 days ( in multiple group)  and when I got back to their last castle they had another 2000 men in multiple group... and I guy I just beat had 200 men back already so...

My suggestion would be the opposite  to reduce their money/ spawn rate/ loyalty to their king  as they lose  ground.  I find it odd that all the sarranid lord I try to recruit  refuse  stating they are better with their current lord....  (  I own about 6070% of the map and they only got a castle but they refuse to join me instead of their king XD  I want loyal men like that XD)  I think  reducing loyalty of lord to losing kind would also improve th chance of player getting more lord coming to him.  ( im amazed that other king have 2-3 time more lords and 2-3 LESS lands... XD)

but I find the idea of spawning on last big army when they losse their last castle/town  good as it'S their last hope not to die.

( and could someone tell me how to make a faction die...  ( I have been unable to make the swadians die even if it's been like 300 days since they last owned  a castle  of i've seen any of them... )

Samittaja said:
I agree, 'cause martial arts were important also in medieval Europe- though in form of wrestling. Because knights were so heavily armoured, they were difficult to beat in fencing, but also getting up after tripping was too slow. That means that the knight who was knocked down by enemy were totally defenceless. Therefore the ability to knock enemies down makes fighting realistic, but it might make fighting too easy if the AI doesn't do it.

I do think European Martial Arts are already implemented, albeit in a very primitive manner. :razz:

It'd be seriously cool if you were to be able to switch between fighting styles/ wards like in Jedi Knight 3. I guess -even if doable- that would take a bloody lot of work though, especially if you want specific fighting styles for each weapon. That'd deserve a whole mod on its own.

Script for original animations included in download folder would be appreciated. I don´t personally like new animations and changed them to originals.

__Khanate__ said:
Script for original animations included in download folder would be appreciated. I don´t personally like new animations and changed them to originals.

Actually, you can look at FAQ section of this mod for this.

Samittaja said:
Who on earth uses the flat side of the sword? If you want to hack enemies unconscious use hammers and maces! And if somebody suggests throwing swords like in the Braveheart-movie, only madmen would have done it in reality.

That what they did in medieval ages they used pommels and cross-guards when needed, but have I understood you correct that you mean holding the blade? Who holds the sword from the blade?

Throwing swords is silly. I only suggested it because of the limited number of weapon slots - four. I very much doubt dual wielding (such as a dagger and sword) would be plausible, so I figured more options for the current weapons would be nice. Why the flat of the blade? Well, I personally tend to lean towards a lance, sword (either one or two handed), shield (sometimes) and a bow and arrows. Admittedly, I could use a mace instead of a sword, but maces lack the reach of blades (in most cases).

In the case of two-handed swords, I might be wrong, but I believe the part of the blade near the crossguard was held and the pommel used to knock people down.

But I can appreciate not having "all-rounder" swords.

Duh said:
Nope he only meant being able to knock sb unconcious with the blade.

However that would make things to simple imo. Players should have to choose between their weapons and their abilties. There wont be allrounding swords  :wink:

Yes.

Another thought I had was raw materials - why not have a set of buildings one can purchase as in the towns - say, a sheep farm (for wool); a cheese making site; a farm for beef & dried meat. Another for butter. One for grain.

When the village gets raided, the player has to rebuild said buildings (or they regenerate over time and the player lacks income in the meantime). It would be more incentive to protect villages.

I know mines have already been suggested.

Another thought was having more than one 'guildmaster' building. But, one would have to 'buy out' existing buildings - so, I don't know, pay 1.5 more than normal. That way, towns would generate more revenue. Alternatively,(or in addition to), what about multiple buildings of the same type? Say, three toolmakers? It would drive down the price of the finished goods, but up the price of raw materials.

Taking this concept further, if there were a set number of buildings within the land - say, one bakery in each town, the player could begin to force prices. Too advanced/difficult to implement? I don't know. My thinking was to create a 'chokehold' on certain goods - meaning that one artificially creates a shortage and then has to travel to meet the demand. Of course, this unbalances the entire economy... ...which could upset certain lords/towns.

Something else I noticed which has been bothering me: it doesn't matter how many times a character loses - he/she cannot die. Likewise, one cannot execute captive lords. Granted, you can imprison them... but when there are lords who are -100 unfavourably against you, realistically it would make sense to off them. Perhaps an 'extreme' difficulty mode would allow this? Where the stakes are raised so the player's character can die? (of course, new lords would have to be raised from the ranks or ones wander into the realm from outside).
Just a thought.

The ability to kill lords, and then be able to die yourself... I like it. But that means every time someone captures a lord, they're probably gunna want to kill them, so there is going to have to be many reserve lords that have to be made and implemented into the mod... or eventually you'll kill off all of Calridias nobility  :lol:

Back
Top Bottom