SP - Battles & Sieges Suggestion: Units without shield in shouldn't be on the first row of the shieldwall

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi Taleworlds,

I would like to make a minor suggestion: would it be possible to modify the shieldwall formation so units without shield (ie. recruits, two-handers etc...) do not end up on the first row if there are other shielded unit in the formation ? Since most battle usually start with some sort of "ranged / skirmish" phase, the shieldwall formation is a great way of preserving your infantry units (especially against horse archer heavy factions). That being said, I find it a bit frustrating that unshielded infantry ends up being killed by archers early on only because they are on the first row of a shieldwall while there are other shielded infantry in the back row where their shields are useless. I think this small change could greatly increase the general survavibility /usefullness of two-handers in the game.

On an other note, as a longtime fan, I would like to thank you guys for the time and effort that you invested making this unique game. I do not think that the general negativity found on this forum reflect the opinion of most players who understand that some the game is still a work in progress.

Good idea, no sane commander would have placed shieldless soldiers in the front row of a shield wall. I don't know how difficult it would be to Code to detect and deploy.

My intermediary solution, besides the fact that most recruits and all T2 have shields in my game, is to give shieldless persons (in my case twohanded shock infantry) a different number and put them behind the shielded infantry.

My intermediary solution, besides the fact that most recruits and all T2 have shields in my game, is to give shieldless persons (in my case twohanded shock infantry) a different number and put them behind the shielded infantry.
This.
I assign them under Heavy Infantry and manually place them behind the others

I micromanage vulnerable troops in a separate group and put them behind the group with shields sometimes, but whenever practical I simply don't use vulnerable troops because of the annoyance of needing to micromanage them.

An infantry formation that is not engaged in melee combat can and should be configured to put the shielded at the front and the vulnerable behind them automatically.

Maybe they should be in a different group by default?

I also think every troop with a one-handed main weapon, should have a shield.

Back
Top Bottom